The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What made you buy a supra

brian73united

i loved the back end of the supra,the lights at night look cool with a nice spolier,,love the power ,love the cockpit,big engine ,large bonnet ,love how wide and long they are ,,,{but hate the petrol costs }

i even love the name SUPRA

and love rear wheel action lol

its a car everybody wants to own

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it was Grand Tourismo the car that all my mates had to rush out and buy was either a Soop or Skyline and from that moment I thought I will have to get one in real life. Then sold my MR2 had a bust up with my girlfriend and moved back to my mums for a couple of days, and in this time managed to get a loan and a supra.

The Supra is a great all round car. Very reliable and comfortable.

Fast enough to be entertaining (with the cats out)

Also when someone asks what you drive you can just say 'Toyota' but still feel all warm on the inside. :)

Started buying Japanese car magazines for information/parts/yada when I had a Eunos roadster. Saw them in there, and thought 'Must have!'.

Didn't have the cash for a TT one, really, and was looking for an FTO. But then found an NA freshly imported sitting on a forecourt near my place and couldn't resist :)

Having a few days off work (giving me time to sort things out), getting a good trade in on the Eunos, knowing a local mechanic that can work on it, and a supurb insurance quote from HSBC clinched it.

Few things really.

1. I had\have an MR2 turbo, and I was impressed with just how bomb proof it was considering how modified it was. I kinda felt that the Supra would be the same, and it is.

2. Saw the original Veilside Supra, had it as my desktop for ages etc, and just had to (eventually) have it.

3. Another vote for Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3 and 4.

4. What else is there for the money ?

5. It's RWD.

6. Has a gorgeous arse ;)

I made the mistake of selling mine last year, and BOY have I missed it :(

Loved the JGTC Castrol Supra in Gran Turismo, but thats as far as my interest in the Supra was.

Hadn't really seen many around to make my own opinion on them to be honest.

Then, my old boss offered me his FTO (again, loved the FTO in Gran Turismo) but just as I was about to buy I found a fantastic looking GTO in a garage for the same dosh. Whilst researching the GTO I found the Supra and bought the first one I found in the autotrader.

Wish i had stayed with the FTO :(

only kid'in ;)

Not sure why I bought one, was happy with the ZR TBH, one day me and the missus were talking and looking at cars - drove to Ipswich about a week later and test drove my one - test drove some others afterwards but eventually went and bought my one on credit card!!!! Was a very spur of the moment thing actually but was well worth it!!

I was going to buy an Impreza but the wife said they looked too much like a Ford Orion with boy racer bits stuck on (sorry to any Impreza owners out there).

She seemed a bit more impressed when I first took her along to see a supra although she fell in love with the RX7 the garage had for sale as well. I didn't feel I could live with the possible reliability issues of an RX7 so the Supra got the vote

It's probably the only time in our marriage that I have listened to her and boy am I glad I did.

Loved the looks of the MkIV since they came out and I used to see one parked on the A6 on my daily commute to Manchester, always used to ride past slowly and have a good look. Always presumed I'd need to be either rich, or over forty before I could get insured on one. When the time came to trade in my Smart car (!), I spent a night on Autotrader looking at all sorts of stuff - SD1's, Capri's, Saab 900 Turbos as there isn't really much around nowadays that I really could see myself driving. So I found this N/A for sale, and it was just saying 'buy me', got a good insurance quote and the last 18 months is history. Still makes me smile every time I look at it (even with the nasty peeling laquer)

And how often do you hear the phrase "Yeah, that's the drummer's Supra"

My passenger door is in a right state, everytime I wash it more comes off (waits for sarky comments from those that have met me)

Just had an estimate from the local garage for about 1300 quid to fit my carbon goodies & respray in Kandy red. That includes all glass out/in and a dent repairing, too.

(It does help that my dad went to school with the bloke)

My last car was good, taking a step up from that was no easy task.

I thought long and hard, boiling it down to a skyline or supra in the end. Once I realised 4wd was not the be all and end all it started to become a one horse race.

Evos, Impreza's etc are all much of a muchness to me, they all look similar and perform similar, they are tunable but rapidly reach their limits. They are comon on the road, and I didn't like the idea of buying an evo x only to find next year x+1 was out and mine was old news. The mkiv supra is a timeless piece of design in that respect.

My other half generally has excellent taste, her opinions confirmed mine, that the supra is in a league of it's own looks, style and x factor wise.

and after my first test drive I knew I had to had one, I knew it was a car I could get really enthusiastic about and wouldn't get bored of for a long time, same can't be said about the competition...

well besides me getting it free i was never still a fan of supras thought they look ugly and crap especially the front. After all research and the type of kits that could change the looks i totaly love the car back to front and couldnt dream of something better:)

Guest blueangel

The power and of course that lovely arse end rwd and style dont think it can be beaten, its an aston for ppl that havent won the lottery

What made me buy a supra ....

...couldn't afford a skyline GTR.

however this turned out to be a good thing as i've never looked back.

I was also looking at a Skyline, and an M3 for that matter, still ended up with the Supra and would still get one.