The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Don't chuck the spare wheel

Need4Speed

a stock space saver is going to be as usefull as a chocky teapot
From my experience yesterday, it was extremely useful to have the space-saver.

What do others in this situation do? get an single 18" and try and cram it in the boot?
Which size? Front or back?

I lost 15 minutes as a result of having a space-saver. Quicker than a low-loader.

But it wouldn't be any use- wouldn't fit over the front brakes and I wouldn't trust it on the rear for any distance no matter how short, not even sure the kit would clear the floor haha

I'm with Greenflag and they picked me up when I burst the front tyre on a kurb. They asked if I had a spare, when I said I didn't, they aked how I managed to get my MOT??

I told them the details, lied about having a can of spray foam, and told them I had a large hole in the sidewall and foam wasn't going to help.

They came and picked me up within the hour and took me home.

From my experience yesterday, it was extremely useful to have the space-saver.

Which size? Front or back?

ok, I have 18" rims front and rear, fronts fitted with 245/40, rears are 275/35.

I'm assuming that the stock space saver is not an 18" rim ;) maybe a 16"?

So would I be right in thinking that I could still replace any of the wheels with a stock space saver as long as the tyre profile on the spare made up the same rolling radius as the one it was replacing?

Help me understand please! :D

ok, I have 18" rims front and rear, fronts fitted with 245/40, rears are 275/35.

I'm assuming that the stock space saver is not an 18" rim ;) maybe a 16"?

So would I be right in thinking that I could still replace any of the wheels with a stock space saver as long as the tyre profile on the spare made up the same rolling radius as the one it was replacing?

Help me understand please! :D

yes, it's the tyre diameter that matters.

I'm with Greenflag and they picked me up when I burst the front tyre on a kurb. They asked if I had a spare, when I said I didn't, they aked how I managed to get my MOT??
You don't need a spare for the MoT test. If you do have one it must be legal and roadworthy.

In order to limp home it has to fit and be roughly the size of the original. Read Chris Wilson's bit about differentials as well.

Spares aren't part of the MOT ! ! !

neither are:

Reversing Lights

Rear washers

Rear wipers

Front fog lamps

Speedos (although the ODOMETER reading is TAKEN, even if same as

LAST year ! !)

Battery can be loose as hell (but Police will nick you for the same defect !)

and MANY MANY more 'silly' omissions that VOSA feel aren't important

It IS however illegal to carry an illegal spare (i THINK ??)

I dumped my spare as soon as i got the soop....

i've driven a few cars at work with SpaceSavers ON the car and although

i STARTED driving along remembering the S'S' i soon forgot about it

and started pulling fast out of Junctions/Bends etc.....OOOH NO !:(

The difference between my Soop tyres and the S'S' is just TOO much,

not too bad in the dry/slow/straight, but........

Now have TWO large cans of 'Crazy Foam' and an electric pump/gauge

for pumping/topping-up. I'd rather have a slow leak in the RIGHT SIZE

TYRE (purely personal preference)

FatS.

Caveat. If you have a PLATE type LSD you MUST run tyres of the SAME rolling diameter on each rear side. A viscous type will get mad hot, if the tyres are different diameters, but a plate type will be buggered in short order.

What's the stock LSD - plate or viscous?

How 'close' does it have to be? Can you be a little bit out? How do you work it out?!

I took my spare out once and got a puncture! Luckily it was a slow puncture and I pumped it up with a little electric pump so I could drive to the garage to get it repaired. It went back in after that not really worth the hassle.

If you use the tyre foam can you still get punctures repaired?