The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project PT67DBB

SimonB

Today my new fuel hose turned up so I fitted my injectors. What a PITA that job is! Couple of really annoying bolts on the intake manifold!

You've taken your stock turbos off and reckon the intake is a pain? :blink: Which bolts gave you hassle?

-Ian

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've taken your stock turbos off and reckon the intake is a pain? :blink: Which bolts gave you hassle?

-Ian

Yeah but that was days ago, I'd forgotten the pain of trying to undo bolts with no room! Had a bit of trouble with the one near the back with a couple of hoses passing through because I was too lazy to take them off ;). Plus I dropped one of the rubber insulator jobbies off the old injectors down into the depths of the engine and had to fish it out!

Going to get the det cans out tomorrow I think! I'm planning on using the automapping feature on the Emanage Ultimate too to help sort the fueling out, we'll see how that goes.

Yeah but that was days ago, I'd forgotten the pain of trying to undo bolts with no room! Had a bit of trouble with the one near the back with a couple of hoses passing through because I was too lazy to take them off ;). Plus I dropped one of the rubber insulator jobbies off the old injectors down into the depths of the engine and had to fish it out!

Going to get the det cans out tomorrow I think! I'm planning on using the automapping feature on the Emanage Ultimate too to help sort the fueling out, we'll see how that goes.

FWIW back off the fueling by 33% to start with and go from there. (I found cold start idle needed -40 and warm idle only -10...

Hmmm, not so good today. It doesn't want to run properly with the new injectors in - it's misfiring for some reason. I checked all the injector connectors which all seem fine. Then I suspected the EMU as it popped up a warning about CH3,4 and 5 ignition inputs being incorrect. So I checked I'd wired them in the correct sequence and tried bypassing the ign connections (i.e. left the EMU out of the loop) but that made no difference. Also tried using airflow correction instead of injector correction, going back to an older firmware (1.09 from 1.14). The injector connections to the EMU all look fine.

I'm pretty sure the injectors are OK, they were flow tested before I fitted them. So I'm a bit baffled, I think I'm going to have to pull the intake manifold off again tomorrow and see if I can find anything wrong - if all else fails I'll have to refit my old injectors, I need the car on Tuesday!

you can replace the injectors without taking the inlet manifold off. its a bit fiddly but i can change them in just over half an hour this way. i had problems with misfire after fitting my injectors. after a bit of fault finding and advice from IanC it turns out that one of the injectors is stuck open.

I traced it down to no.3 by taking the coil pack connectors off one by one. Couldn't see anything wrong so I swapped my old injectors back in. Did it without taking the manifold off, cheers Lee. Took me a lot longer than half an hour mind! A couple of the injectors were a right sod to get out. Anyway, it runs fine with the originals back so I guess I've got a duff injector. Can't understand how since they were cleaned and tested before I installed them - it's the correct resistance etc too. Oh well, guess I'll have to get it tested again. Time to crank up the fuel pressure again in the mean time!

Nice looking job!

I did the same on my Soarer with a GT3037s.

Where did you get the braded hose for the wastegate actuators from?

As all I have done with mine is wrap the silicon pipe in the thermo wrap silver covering, not 100% this will work when pushed.

I also used the old SMIC location as the cold air feed right into the front of the air filter. Works a treat.

Rear water feed blocked off using a bit of hose with a bolt inserted in the end with some sealant and clamped down with a hose clamp.

Just looking at my plumbing while the engine is out, I have this feed linked to the other feed (from the w/pump) with a long pipe. This is how PHR recommended it as mine isn't water cooled like yours.

Can someone confirm this is ok, or would it be better just to blank each end?

Just looking at my plumbing while the engine is out, I have this feed linked to the other feed (from the w/pump) with a long pipe. This is how PHR recommended it as mine isn't water cooled like yours.

Can someone confirm this is ok, or would it be better just to blank each end?

mines done the same as yours but apparently they are both feed lines so you will not get any flow through there. Dude recommended i did it this way.

Well, it's all back together and I've been for a quick shake-down drive. Boy is it loud! I was taking it easy as it's not mapped yet but it sounds awesome! Unfortunately I couldn't map it as the battery in the laptop is knackered and only lasts about a minute! So it's off to Halfords tomorrow for an inverter then I can get it set up for lowish boost at least until I sort the bloody injectors out!

Simon' date=' I have a new set of PE650s waiting for O-rings so you can borrow one tomorrow if you need it.[/quote']

Cheers, very kind. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the duff one at the mo, I bought it from Japan so I'm not sure I can be arsed sending it back. I'm not sure whether to get it cleaned and tested again or just buy another one. Don't think I could face changing injectors for the 3rd time in 3 days tomorrow either! I'll let you know what I decide to do.

Sweet setup. Great choice on your cast manifold. Arnout's manifold rocks! I want one for my car.

Are you running the stock fuel rail? Have you modified it for dual feed? Sorry, not sure what your fuel setup is.

Sweet setup. Great choice on your cast manifold. Arnout's manifold rocks! I want one for my car.

Are you running the stock fuel rail? Have you modified it for dual feed? Sorry, not sure what your fuel setup is.

Yep, stock rail. No need for dual feeds or anything at this level.

Simon,

Just been reading through this (and still at work, shows how dedicated and interested I was!!). Mucho :respekt: to you for this. If I ever go single I'm just taking it to a professional as I would well & truly bugger it up.

Hope to see (and hear!) it in the near future.

J

Not really mate. I'm having trouble getting hold of a replacement injector so I've still got the stock ones in atm (running at 52psi so they act like 550cc ones). I don't want to spend ages mapping it and then have to do it again on the 650s so I've just set it up safely rich for now. I had a problem with the intercooler hose blowing off where it goes into the FMIC, I was using an old connector that wasn't quite the right size but I've got a new one now so that's sorted so I can stop driving round like a wuss. Nothing leaks and everything basically works. Still got the boost controller turned off for now though.

I'm going to knock up my DIY air box this weekend I think, maybe sort the ducting round the FMIC out a bit and fit gaskets between the last couple of exhaust sections (the old ones fell to bits when I took my restrictor out).

Hopefully I can get a new injector ordered ASAP and finish the thing! When are you going to be using yours Jake? If I can get a definite delivery time for a new one any chance I could borrow one in the meantime? I was hoping to fit 'em next weekend in time to get it set up for the France trip.

Looking good Simon.

Who did you get to do your exhaust pipework in the end?

How much clearence do you have around your wastegate? I looked into having mine at an angle but found it fouled the steering joint.

Not really mate. I'm having trouble getting hold of a replacement injector so I've still got the stock ones in atm (running at 52psi so they act like 550cc ones). I don't want to spend ages mapping it and then have to do it again on the 650s

Hopefully I can get a new injector ordered ASAP and finish the thing! When are you going to be using yours Jake? If I can get a definite delivery time for a new one any chance I could borrow one in the meantime?

Sorry, only just seen this.

Yeah no problem mate. I won't be using them for at least the next 4 weeks, probably a lot longer knowing me. Phone or PM me and we'll sort it out.

Looking good Simon.

Who did you get to do your exhaust pipework in the end?

How much clearence do you have around your wastegate? I looked into having mine at an angle but found it fouled the steering joint.

The downpipe and wastegate pipe came from Arnout, and I bought a Random Technology 3 inch 1st decat pipe (the flange on Arnout's downpipe meets a UK spec pipe). The wastegate is at an angle that takes it towards the block so there's plenty of room between at and the steering. It's very close to the oil return fitting though, in fact I had to connect up the oil return hose first because I couldn't do it up with the wastegate in place. I tried to take a photo but you can't really see it!

Well, I'm very pleased to say I've got some more progress! Jake lent me one of his injectors, so today I swapped out the stock ones and put my new ones in again without the duff one! And......it runs! Absolutely fine now, so that's a relief. Big thanks to Jake for that one mate!

I've also been having trouble with my intercooler piping blowing off. The trouble was the aluminium pipework didn't have flares to hold the silicon couplers on (because I had to cut it all to fit), so the only thing holding the silicon on was the pressure of the clamps. The ally was a bit thin, so if you tighten the clamps too much it starts bending! I'd pretty much managed to get it sorted but wasn't happy it was reliable enough so today I replaced most of the ally pipe sections with stainless steel clamped tight. That isn't coming off again!

So, all ready for some mapping action tomorrow...:D