The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are singles the way to go?

wkdtime

wkdtime.... give whifbitz a call.

They've recently finished mine, and they'll be able to give you an idea of costs.

It's a PHR kit, which initially can look more expensive - but having researched this and talked to Ben at PHR it was they way I wanted to go.

I'm running a safe 550 at the wheels, but more to come after a few additional mods.

I can give more details if required - but Pauls better at specs then me :-)

Where abouts in East Anglia are you?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wkdtime.... give whifbitz a call.

They've recently finished mine, and they'll be able to give you an idea of costs.

It's a PHR kit, which initially can look more expensive - but having researched this and talked to Ben at PHR it was they way I wanted to go.

I'm running a safe 550 at the wheels, but more to come after a few additional mods.

I can give more details if required - but Pauls better at specs then me :-)

Where abouts in East Anglia are you?

Thanx mate, if you can just pm the supporting mods and what you used for mapping fuel, 550 at the wheels? damn thats some road car, whats that equate to at the fly wheels? i dont have the balls for that, i was aiming for something within 500-550 at fly wheel. :D

You can tune for less .... but for the costs - you may as well have a little in reserve :-))

Click my link ( Oh errr ) to see the major setup....

It's rather rapid - I run most of the time at 1 bar, and occasionaly 1.5 !!!

I can have it increased - to about 1.7 - 1.9 bar, but I agreed with Paul to initially set up to 1.5.

It's using an Obiwan spec'd kit, which Ben at PHR has developed.

Spool is excellent - hardly feels any different to stock low down, but by about 3500 rpm it feels and sounds like a banshee is trying to get out from under the bonnet. .... as with all the single guys.... you really need to feel/see the performance.

You can tune for less .... but for the costs - you may as well have a little in reserve :-))

Click my link ( Oh errr ) to see the major setup....

It's rather rapid - I run most of the time at 1 bar, and occasionaly 1.5 !!!

I can have it increased - to about 1.7 - 1.9 bar, but I agreed with Paul to initially set up to 1.5.

It's using an Obiwan spec'd kit, which Ben at PHR has developed.

Spool is excellent - hardly feels any different to stock low down, but by about 3500 rpm it feels and sounds like a banshee is trying to get out from under the bonnet. .... as with all the single guys.... you really need to feel/see the performance.

Just saw the spec...awsome :D, are the engine internals stock? cams?

Yep all stock internals - thats why at the mo I won't be taking boost levels above about 1.7 for everyday use.

No cams - may do that at some point.... want to get the thing blasting around some tracks first...

Paul used to run the same turbo kit on 1.7 - 1.9 with stock - and that was used seriously on track at that level.

There are some good kits out there at the mo, and some good retailers/installers ...

Can everyone who has done a single bung up what they have spent to get there?

Also how much spent on trips back and forth to tuners / dynos / mappers etc

Also how about a points system out of 10 for how close they are to spot on running (you know what I mean)

We could then put up a definitive listing for budgeting etc...?

How come few people have spoken up for hybrids? :blink: I recently got the following done at Thor:

Stage 3 hybrids (courtesy of envy)

Walbro fuel pump

FSE FPR

Apexi AVCR

GReddy Emanage n injectors n harness

Iridium sparks

Plus other associated little jobs, whole lot (with mappping and fine-tuning) came to a very reasonable £4876.

The car is like a totally different beast now - putting out about 390bhp at the crank. The drive is smoother and more progressive on the power (although you have to be careful on the throttle!), and the inital acceleration is amazing from a standingstart. It's just as easy to drive hard as it is to pootle down the shops.

My point is there's very few (public) roads where you can use the full potential of anything more than say 400bhp, and even fewer drivers who could actually handle this amount safely!! So to me singles seem a bit a of a waste of time (and money!) to turn an outstanding piece of engineering into an unmanageable (and unpredictable) amount of power.

I'm sure i'll get shot down in flames for this post, but hey, it's a free country (so far.....:D ), each to thier own....:innocent:

How come few people have spoken up for hybrids? :blink: I recently got the following done at Thor:

Stage 3 hybrids (courtesy of envy)

Walbro fuel pump

FSE FPR

Apexi AVCR

GReddy Emanage n injectors n harness

Iridium sparks

Plus other associated little jobs, whole lot (with mappping and fine-tuning) came to a very reasonable £4876.

The car is like a totally different beast now - putting out about 390bhp at the crank. The drive is smoother and more progressive on the power (although you have to be careful on the throttle!), and the inital acceleration is amazing from a standingstart. It's just as easy to drive hard as it is to pootle down the shops.

My point is there's very few (public) roads where you can use the full potential of anything more than say 400bhp, and even fewer drivers who could actually handle this amount safely!! So to me singles seem a bit a of a waste of time (and money!) to turn an outstanding piece of engineering into an unmanageable (and unpredictable) amount of power.

I'm sure i'll get shot down in flames for this post, but hey, it's a free country (so far.....:D ), each to thier own....:innocent:

IanC seems to use 580RWHP often enough :eek: :faint: :faint: :eek:

Hybrids are good for 450Bhp and those who do alot of town driving and like th response of the first turbo.

Singles are for those that like, the noise, progressive but explosive power, an "On Cruise" MPG increase.

If you don't want more than 450BHP Hybrids are fine.

I take it you have actually driven a decent single and then found it unmanageable? :)

Guest Terry S

my single car is more controllable than my old car was on hybrids. The power delivery is much nicer. Please understand that all singles are not the same. Turbo selection makes a big difference. I can select you a single that will feel really powerful, purely because it will come in like a light switch, or a turbo that has a great spread of power and therefore feels slower but will probably in fact have the same peak power, but feels slower because of the linear power curve.

Salvatore,

you say that your car with those mods (hybrids) puts out about 390 hp at the crank, dash render had his car dynoed the other day with hybrids and made 315 at the wheels. Unless i'm missing something here, these power levels can be achieved with basic bpu?

Hybrids are rebuilt stockers with slightly bigger internals. The stages refer to how much bigger.

But the are still limited by the tiny housings

Do you think then that there is a potential for someone to be misled by the term Hybrid as a puchaser could infact just be buying a set of refurbed stockers?

Alex as you are the techie Guru do you know what the specs of the stockers are ie impeller size a.r ratio etc. Thanks

Alex as you are the techie Guru do you know what the specs of the stockers are ie impeller size a.r ratio etc. Thanks

:rlol: I've pulled the wool over a coppers eyes!!! The rest of you have no chance!! ;) :p

It's all here - http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm

CT12B(Japanese Model)

60mm/48mm (inducer/exducer)

62mm/39mm (inducer/exducer)

Ceramic

Yes it's possible to be misslead if you don't see them get fitted, but hybrids have steel internals and no ceramic so that difference should be obvious if you're handling them.

Do you think then that there is a potential for someone to be misled by the term Hybrid as a puchaser could infact just be buying a set of refurbed stockers?
Nobody can rebuild the stock ceramic turbos - at least I've never heard of it. I don't think the parts are available seperately anyway.