The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are singles the way to go?

wkdtime

Nobody can rebuild the stock ceramic turbos - at least I've never heard of it. I don't think the parts are available seperately anyway.

That's what Ive heard, they can only replace the impeller blades with a steel one. I think CW mentioned this only the other week.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any of you single boys have a noise meter? I wouldn't mind knowing how loud a single is at 4000rpm, with the meter at a 45deg angle and three feet away from the tail pipe please. Noise is becoming an issue at Brunters and other trackdays- Brunters has a 97db static test which you must pass or you cannot run.

For me the egt's are the main reason for not getting hybrids, although I think hybrids should be considered as a stronger more durable version of stock turbines. Even though they'd probably cost more than a Vortex single budget kit, the hks sequential kit is appealing as I like the first turbine feel, but information about the kit is almost non existant.

How do you map an auto if you can't hold it in gear on a r/r????

ok , like so many have said it all depends on how you want to spend your money and how much you have, my spec is a quite big although not as big as some....

aswell as fitting a turbo kit you need to think about your future requirements, ie if you want more power etc so making your car future proof is a good thing imo, i have uprated every thing so if i want a biggr tubby the rest of the work is already done ie fuelling and fuel line inc twin feeding the rail and the size of your injectors...., there are so any mods that you can do, some may say that they are overkill for the power you are running at that time but most always want more..lol

have a look at my garage fella, just for the single conversion i have spent £13500 approx and i already had the fmic, bov, brakes, rltc and the cat back zorst... so you need to really think about what you want... otherwise you can end up with a half finished project matey and then end up not being able to enjoy the car as it should be...

not sure where you are matey but will willingly take you out in mine for a spin.;)

Don't think there's a hope in hell of passing a noise test if on full whack and without silencers etc :( Rules out a lot of UK tracks i think. The other boys can answer that because they'll have first hand experience

Well I'm certainly planning on continuing to do track days when mine's on! If you have your wastegate plumbed in to the exhaust rather than vented to atmosphere you'll be OK on some tracks. I have a Nur spec exhaust, so put the bung in and I expect to pass the noise tests on pretty much all tracks apart from places like Goodwood maybe.

Well I'm certainly planning on continuing to do track days when mine's on! If you have your wastegate plumbed in to the exhaust rather than vented to atmosphere you'll be OK on some tracks. I have a Nur spec exhaust, so put the bung in and I expect to pass the noise tests on pretty much all tracks apart from places like Goodwood maybe.

Are you plumbing yours back in? I want to lose the screamer pipe also, so would be interested if you are. (still looking for 50mm flexi section and connection ideas. Baby V-band?

Are you plumbing yours back in? I want to lose the screamer pipe also' date=' so would be interested if you are. (still looking for 50mm flexi section and connection ideas. Baby V-band?[/quote']

Yes I am. I've got some pipework from Arnout that consists of a downpipe with a small pipe for the wastegate welded in. I'll post a pic up tomorrow. Have you tried ATP in the USA for flex sections? http://www.atpturbo.com

Or Vertex/Verocious performance. http://stores.channeladvisor.com/verociousmotorsports

I'd recommend both very highly.

I'm no expert in Turbo and LIquid dynamics, but is the 90 degree input into the downpipe from the wastegate pipe going to be adding back pressure or at the least be restrivtive? {runs}

Indeed the fluid dynamics of it arn't ideal...but space is limited.

Guest Terry S
Indeed the fluid dynamics of it arn't ideal...but space is limited.

Agreed, but maybe it would have been worth extending it into the midpipe at a more favourable angle. You could connect the WG tube to the MP with a V band, and the come MOT time, replace the cat.

Guest Usmann A

Depends on what you want at the end of the day.

We took "Mavis" (yes thats what shes called:D ) out lastnite,shes having her run in, and shes only boosting to .5bar and the power is yet still noticeable.

Just choose the turbo unit from people who know, and not biased opinions from sales guys .. lol

TBH, the only thing that would make my decision on a kit would be manifold and wastgate options. I mean everything else can be bought or easily madeup.

Go with a kit reknown for good headers and wastegates and DP/MP.

I personally like the BL kit, and thats my opinion, sound gear and the guys are top notch with good VFM.

I run something similar, well a greddy 50mm header, with the CH gate, controls boost like a dream w/ BL exhaust system. its a bit of an animal. lol

Basically, my un-biased opinon go BL. good quality header materials and design and the HKS gate (50mm) is sound, and DP/MP fitment is sweet.

I say this cos 2 years ago I had togo through the headache of having different turbos on headers and intercooler piping, exhaust fitment, etc issues cos i made my own kinda kit up.

O, and Jake, I havent forgot. sorry pal. :)

This is vapour ware! It doesn't exist.

The only HKS system involving 2 turbos is their PARALLEL TWIN system.

They certainly entertained the idea, and did make a prototype:

http://www.mkiv.com/publications/other/street_power/spring_99/power03.jpg

Didn't TDi do something similar? I believe they posted pics on the 'other' site of an upgraded sequential set-up????

Agreed, but maybe it would have been worth extending it into the midpipe at a more favourable angle. You could connect the WG tube to the MP with a V band, and the come MOT time, replace the cat.

Yes, I agree. Bit tricky to fabricate though I would think given the amount of room available. For the size of turbo I'm using there should be no problem with back pressure, should be plenty enough flow through a 3inch pipe I think. Of course I might change this around later, it's just handy to have something pre-fabricated that I can just slot in to get it all running since this is my dailer driver so I can't afford to have it off the road for any length of time.