The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are singles the way to go?

wkdtime

But from what i have heard, mapping the Emanage can be complicated and problamatic.

No where near as complicated as a standalone though! I'm putting my own kit together, but if you're going for a kit then you want:

Kit

fuel pump

decat pipe

exhaust if you haven't already

intercooler if you haven't already

BOV plus weld on fitting if you haven't already

injectors

ECU of some sort (Emanage ulimate is my choice)

wideband

probably a boost controller

various extra bits like heat wrap, turbo blanket, hoses etc.

No need for a fuel rail or regulator.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine's costing about £10k for the performance side. This is going from a relatively stock car and includes (off the top of my head)

Sound Performance polished turbo kit including 4" DP/MP etc, heat coated

Fueling - 1000cc injectors, FPR, braided lines and duel pumps, fuel rail

AEM WBO2

AEM EMS, HKS DLI , AEM Air Intake kit, 3.5 MAP sensor

HKS 264/264 cams

Greddy 3 row FMIC

Fluidlyne rad

Defi Gauges

Trac & EGR removal

Then there's also fitting etc and other bits like an RPS Max 6 hub clutch, Tein coilovers

Mine's costing about £10k for the performance side. This is going from a relatively stock car and includes (off the top of my head)

AEM WBO2

HKS 264/264 cams

Greddy 3 row FMIC

Fluidlyne rad

Defi Gauges

Trac & EGR removal

Then there's also fitting etc and other bits like an RPS Max 6 hub clutch, Tein coilovers

see guys professional setup is around 10k

AEM WBO2

HKS 264/264 cams

Greddy 3 row FMIC

Fluidlyne rad

Defi Gauges

Trac & EGR removal

Judging from that lot i think you were aiming for more than 500 horses...and big horses they would be too :D

Yep but a lot of the other stuff i'd still get like a uprated rad and gauges, for 500 bhp i'd still go single because i don't like the sequential system really. Could be done a darn sight cheaper with E-manage etc but i got a good deal on an AEM :D The other reason as well is that i didn't go to BPU (just decat and an exhaust before), i think a lot of people trying to maximise the BPU levels like SimonB did go with an E-manage on the sequential twins so no harm in utilizing that with the single. Also sounds like he's gonna have fun mapping it himself so that's another reason to stick with it. Tony License has had a play about with his AEM but he's got more guts than most :D

Yeah but Jazz i dont think he was aiming for 500BHP, plus he started from stock, i have a few of the bits already.

Yep put that up as a comparison, but all in all the size of the turbo didnt make that much differance to the cost. Like you say though, i'm starting from stock so put it up for others who might be building a single turbo'd car from near enough scratch. At first i was gonna go for 450-500whp but after going in Kevin's 700rhhp+ supra and seeing that it was a lot less laggy (6 speed car) than i thought, decided to go a bit bigger. Plus with this kit if i do want to go bigger still then most of the stuffs in place already

The decision to go, BPU BPU +, hybrid, big twin or single or not really depends on your goals for the car. Once you get used to it it is quite easy to forget that even in stock form the MKIV is a quick car. But with one of the best built motors there is which was so obviously over engineered, the temptation to go for Super car beating power, can be great.

Ultimately the decision has to be individual.

For anyone thinking of going single this thread on supraforums may be very helpful, there are some interesting links too.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349254

:taped:

AEM WBO2

HKS 264/264 cams

Greddy 3 row FMIC

Fluidlyne rad

Defi Gauges

Trac & EGR removal

Cor that is a tough question. There are various ways to achieve that TBH mate. it depends on a number of things, fuel, compression, management.

Dave ( secondjump) has probably the best rounded street setup on the budget side of things IMHO. Stock compression, BL61P, Boostlogic Full tubular set up kit, 650's and an emanage tuned by Ian C. It works extremely well.

Cheers Terry, thanks for the kind words. The above setup was very much taken on your advice and after a year on is still running without a glitch.

I love the e-manage and fortunately had one of the best (e-manage) mappers in the UK, at my door step in Ian C.

The car indeed runs like stock ( I think Termy, Bobbeh and quite a few others on here will testify to this) but can very quickly change to a rabid pitbull capable of chewing most things up on the road. The car is, and has been, my daily driver since I built it last spring and I cannot yet find anything that I miss from its previous character.

You have to be seriously committed and know exactly what you want from the car before going single. You need proper advice from someone who has done this melarky, not once, not twice, but over and over, who can give you real world experience of various parts tried and tested and not just regurgitate some glossy magazine speak.

Dave.

You can do a single in stages stick with stock ecu and fuelling then upgrade as you have the money thats the way i'm doing it. But the single on mine is a major difference to stock twins now get used to the power so will be looking at AEM and uprated injectors etc soon

In terms of laggyness etc, i have been running my car in TTC for a year now and am well used to the slow sluggish drive before 4k and then after a totally different car, some people dont like this and feel its not for them, i on the other hand love it. So single is the route i'd take, but will be thinkin long and hard about this, as it could be either the best decision route i could take or easily a nightmare.

I believe single is the way to go, I guess the more people that are going this route means we are finding what works from other peoples r&d etc and can then choose parts accordingly, I think the supe will be a much better road car with the single set up, at least this way the power is progressive and you will be able to put the power down through the bends without having to worry about a 2nd turbo coming on.

Only thing that would stop me is the that the cost's do vary, If all in you can do it for 5k I think that would be pretty good.

I'm running a T60 on standard internals and injectors with a Turbofit FMIC and Apexi Boost controller at the mo is around 430 fwhp but yet to dyno. As I said next step will be AEM, Fuel pump, injectors, and rail. Will be going for 550 rwhp then :)

Give Turbofit a call mate they are more than happy to run you through options with no obligation

Guest Terry S
Dont worry Terry havent forgotten you too. Loved your old car BTW!

Thanks mate, if you are vever down this way try the new one, its probably a better road car.