UK spec acceleration + speed manual vs auto

J-S14A

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the acceleration thing- I always assumed a 6spd would own an auto off the line (stock vs stock)- granny starts vs racing starts, but on give and take roads I'd have thought the auto would be quicker, but not as fun as the manual car. On a 0-170+ drag race I'd have thought the 6spd would be a fair bit quicker once the auto changes into that bloody long overdrive at 130ish.

Haha you've never raced an auto then :) A powerbraked auto will pwn a manual almost every time stock vs stock. A low stall convertor and a big single gives epic lag off the line, as witnessed by SecondJump at TOTB4, but with a high stall, again, they rock for launches. A manual will lose about a second to an auto through the gears with the physical act of changing gear. But then a manual has shorter midrange ratios and less transmission losses. I drive a manual because it's more fun for me personally, I love the engagement of changing gears and heel-toeing. I love the feel of the Getrag as well, nice and grrr solid rargh grunt sorta thing. Doesn't mean it's quicker than an auto though :)

-Ian

Haha you've never raced an auto then :) A powerbraked auto will pwn a manual almost every time stock vs stock. A low stall convertor and a big single gives epic lag off the line, as witnessed by SecondJump at TOTB4, but with a high stall, again, they rock for launches. A manual will lose about a second to an auto through the gears with the physical act of changing gear. But then a manual has shorter midrange ratios and less transmission losses. I drive a manual because it's more fun for me personally, I love the engagement of changing gears and heel-toeing. I love the feel of the Getrag as well, nice and grrr solid rargh grunt sorta thing. Doesn't mean it's quicker than an auto though :)

-Ian

I have a stock auto, and done two track/airfield days, and got my arse handed to me by an NSX off the line.

I understand why folks don't want an Auto Supe if they've never tried one. I didn't really want one either.

My previous car was a five series beemer with a very good 5sp auto box but it was no sports car.

Then I test drove a low mileage, 6sp Supra and was shocked at the clunky gearbox. Later that day I test drove an auto Supra, only looked at it because it was five grand less than the 6sp one I'd tried - and I liked it a lot.

OK, so with an auto you don't get to play the big man on here and kid yourself you're driving legend because you can work a clutch pedal (you know who you are) but the autos are just as quick in real world situations and a lot nicer to drive when not driving on the edge.

Buy what you like, I could care less what anyone drives, but don't show your ignorance and dismiss the auto Supras as slower cars. (This comment not aimed at anyone in particular)

-Ian

So thats why the fastest supra in the uk, is and has been, for the last few years the manual crd supra!!!! IMO you cant beat a manual, ok so if your draggin a supe an auto might get off the line better (unless your experienced in dragging) but in normal driving, like what most of us do, how many of us want it deciding what gear you should be in?? like down shifting around a bend, and thus bending the car? ive read a few nightmare stories recently of the auto dropping a cog on a bend and spinning 2nd blower up at worst moment.

I wouldnt change my manual for the world :thumbs: im guessing im gonna get ppls backs up here, but at the end of the day, how often do you drag a supra??!?!! so what if its faster to 60 by half a sec or somethings daft and minimal like that, its clutching at straws. the manual is more of a drivers car at the end of the day :p

and that is my point of view towards the manual :D

By the way... i wouldnt dismiss an auto, ive heard how good they are, id just rather be in control of the cogs :)

The CRD drag car is >1000bhp. whether it's manual or auto has no relevance to this thread. Their car is trailered to every event. It's not a road car.

IMO you cant beat a manual
Yeah I can. I have done , plenty of times. A good driver (ie not me) in an auto will keep up with a good 6sp driver - no problem. Do you think you'd beat Leon or John Morgan's road legal and 'actually used on the road' auto Supras? It's more about the driver than which type of transmission it's got.

'Auto's kick down all of a sudden and lose it' (please excuse the paraphrasing) is rubbish. The folks that claim that are almost always Supra newbs. They would have crashed 6sp cars too.

I've done upwards of 40k miles in Supras without ever having suffered this "it just suddenly changed down all on its own, no warning - wosn't my fault, honest Guv"

For the sake of not going on too much of a rant I'm going to ignore the cliche "more of a driver's car" bullshit and refer you to post #57 in this thread.

:D

I think when it comes down to it, for most of the type of driving people on here will ever do it doesnt make much difference which box you get, neither is a bad option so you're lucky in that respect. Just try them both.

Think of the driving you do, it it mostly town/motorway? Then the auto probably would suit better, if its country lanes or track racing then the 6 speed? Who knows :)

I know one thing, if I was living in NY I'd deffo get an auto :thumbs:

I have driven both auto and manual TT MKIV's of very similar power,. I enjoyed the 6 speed as it did feel involving. But all those gear changes do slow you down when you are really going for it and the shifts are not the eaiset to get under pressure, but I am sure if I had driven the car for longer I could have made the changes faster and more accurate. I opted for and auto as I wanted a quicker accelerating car.

On the way to a meet, a ferw years back I followed a UK 6 with a lot more upgrades that me, I expected him to get away from me very quickly. I was really surprised that he was getting in my way, as I was gaining in and out of every bend and not falling behind on the straights.

As has been said auto’s will catch an unsuspecting new owner out id they are not careful to learn the characteristics of the box. Slamming ones foot to the floor in a bend or exiting a roundabout is not to be recommended, unless you invest in Race Logic TC.

They are both great cars, which ever you go for your will love and not be disappointed.. In a perfect world I would have one of each at around 900RWHP.

I know one thing, if I was living in NY I'd deffo get an auto
If I was in NY ATM I wouldn't have any RWD car. It's been snowing like Alaska there lately hasn't it Rob?

Twice, while walking around NYC, I saw the same (duh) brand new yellow Ferrari softtop (I dunno which one, I don't keep up Ferrari's latest models) being driven around town by some poseur, when I was there last year. Both times local smartarses were shouting "TAXI!" to the driver. He didn't look impressed.

Haha, yes m8, but the roads were clear, they're great at sorting that, but the amount of salt they use is scary!

Their roads are awful - pot holes, bumpy roads, lots of metal plates covering bad road works and really bad drivers! I wouldnt want to own a Supra in NY to be honest, it'd be smashed up big time in no time! :eek:

Saw a nice Roller, Bently GT and Hummer H2s by the bucketload this time.

I understand why folks don't want an Auto Supe if they've never tried one. I didn't really want one either.

:yeahthat:

I would prefer another manual (maybe - it' a tough call) but enjoy and do not regret an auto.

So which is better, a J-spec or UK ?

Shaun.

Do you think you'd beat Leon or John Morgan's road legal and 'actually used on the road' auto Supras?

Don't they both use BL auto boxes though? :p

As I said first off both gearboxes in the supe are brilliant! And at the end of the day the supe is brilliant as well!!

I prefer the manual because it makes me feel like I'm doing the work, I never drive anywhere near the limit so it's pointless arguing the point with me that the auto's quicker in a straight line or the manual's better for choosing gears in corner cos I never need to know that!!!

I just drive the thing slowly and at weekends, and I don't just want to be chauffeured when I do it!!

...'Auto's kick down all of a sudden and lose it' (please excuse the paraphrasing) is rubbish. ...

Funny isn't it?

Almost as funny as those talking of the second turbo kicking in and losing the back end uncontrollably...on a stock car.

Total rubbish, in fact you can't even feel a kick on a stock car, the torque curve is dead flat

You should come to the ring and try and keep up with Aron ;)

anyone up for the challenge?

(only joking)

All I can say about the 6-speed is that I wouldn't change it for anything. But that's purely because I like to be as involved as much as possible when driving a car... it's only then where you can apreciate EVRYTHING that is going on when you are approaching the limit IMO.

But then not everyone wants to drive to the limit... the Supra can be one of two cars.. it can be a GT cruiser... in which the driver may never want to get anywhere near the limit. Or it can be a full on sports GT... where the limit is your best buddy.

p.s.

bobbeh - your speed round the 'ring was also faster than most on the track. By the number of photos taken and put up on websites a few weeks later we must have made an impression. :)

Total rubbish, in fact you can't even feel a kick on a stock car, the torque curve is dead flat

I could on mine, that's why I hate my ETTC because it makes it a million times worse!! BPU is bad I always try to go very smoothly through 4k but I remember it was the same when it was stock.

My turbos are in good condition though which could account for it.

...that's purely because I like to be as involved as much as possible when driving a car... it's only then where you can apreciate EVRYTHING that is going on when you are approaching the limit IMO.

Mine has got a CD Changer in the boot (std with UKSpec, I don't know)

I have yet to try and open it, or even read the manual on how it works. Not once FFS. It may be broken for all I know.

Says something about 'involvement' doesn't it?:D

I certainly feel a kick/surge in mine when #2 comes online! I know the auto is smooth but I'd have still thought you'd feel it.

Nope, nothing here. (I'm talking about stock eh?)

In fact I originally thought that turbo#2 was kaput when I bought the car, it was that flat.

Dude drove it and laughed - he said "they're all like that"