UK spec acceleration + speed manual vs auto

J-S14A

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct in a NA vehicle. In a turbo, even if gearchange is as fast (a hard task). You still lose boost on the change, while the auto can hold boost on gearchange.

I have to disagree on that. It probably depends on your exact setup but I can assure you that on my j-spec manual it is possible to change gear quick enough to be full on boost instantly, with no boost loss. Probably helped by the ceramic turbos virtually lagless responsiveness but whatever the case, it's not like you have to wait for them to spool up again. I guess with full throttle shifting it's even more on tap, I can only imagine it must be quite something!

It's not a power-delivery issue, more like a transmission thing. There is a full second of relative idleness from a standing start.

If we're thinking of the same thing, then yeah my car is like that. I can stomp on the gas from a standing start and there's quite a bit of a delay before anything happens, for example, I envisage you could go "stomp, stomp, stomp" and not move anywhere (other than the creep that is). It's like the tranny goes "duh..woooooooOOOOO" as it spins up. It's as if there's so little torque at idle that it takes around 500msec just to actually move.

I may be imagining it all though.

It was designed as a car with an automatic transmission.

lol, i'd gathered that from your original post, so during the design stages they never considered a manual box, it was just an afterthought?

how do you know this?

i'm not being funny but i'm not sure exactly what you mean.

cheers.

... I can stomp on the gas from a standing start and there's quite a bit of a delay before anything happens, for example, I envisage you could go "stomp, stomp, stomp" and not move anywhere (other than the creep that is). It's like the tranny goes "duh..woooooooOOOOO" as it spins up. ...

Yeah, that's a fair description of how things happen without powerbraking.

Obviously there is 0.1G available which is enough to activate the accelerometer but not enough to get the damn car moving ahead fast.

Once it gets going everything is as it should be, it's just the 0-30mph that sucks

Below is a run back from the summer. Engine is what would be usually described well within BPU levels

You can see mph, seconds, G-force, distance (feet) and estimated Bhp.

-----------------------------------------

Start Speed 0.0mph

mph s G ft hp

10.0 1.27 0.39 8 41

20.0 2.26 0.46 29 97

30.0 3.16 0.50 63 158

40.0 3.89 0.62 100 261

50.0 5.01 0.36 175 202

60.0 6.02 0.44 256 297

70.0 7.14 0.37 363 305

80.0 8.43 0.30 506 299

90.0 10.28 0.25 737 304

100.0 12.17 0.25 1000 350

Pk Power: 104.3mph 13.06s 1134ft 351hp

Peak G: 37.4mph 3.70s 89ft 0.64g

-------------------------------------------------------

The lethargic takeoff is visible I hope (no powerbraking)