Steve W

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Steve W

It's chuffin' mostly petrol out (2-of-6 not firing !) and after it's

idled a while/revved it starts a bit of oil smoke... plus, funny little

'wheezing noise from Inlet Manifold or Combustion Chambers ?

Steve, really sorry to hear about your car. Those symptoms - and your car, but mine had BKR7E's in and I was doing exactly the same as yours at the time.

Brace yourself, mine was burnt plugs - picture identical to yours, HG blown to bits across 3 cylinders I think and pistons and bores damaged, burnt exhaust valves, warped head and I think that covers it........ Oh, did I mention the debris also took out both turbos :(

About 8 grand later I'm back on the road running her in.....

Steve, its not something due to the fuel sensor getting confused, my brother had a weird problem the other day and his car wouldnt idle right and it was belting out some black smoke (like Adams!) and we thought the worst..

It turns out a house connected to the fuel sensor had come off and it was confusing the engine management etc encouraging it to have loads of fuel put in, hose back on now and no problems!

I wish it was something as simple as this for you m8.

Regards.

Steve 'C' your commitment to the marque is impressive, you must look to the heavens sometimes when you see thread after thread re the supra's reliability with the prob's you've had.

I'm sure the run in will be fine and hope you go on to enjoy many years of repair free supra ownership, you certainly deserve to......

Steve 'W' fingers crossed mate............

Bobbeh:

NO... it's not firing on 2 cylinders.... definitely a 'cylinder' related

problem, not a sensor/fueling one.

There is DEF' fuel to the cylinders, but the plugs were burnt out,

so either they were the 'cause' or the result of the damage.

Steve:

IF it looks like coming anything above 3/4,000 then it'll be sold for

parts..... (or buy another and make 2-from-1 etc.)

there's DEFINITELY no way I'd stuff £8,000 in a car that'll

only be worth ~10,000 when it's done ! ! !:conf:

Matt:

not sure exactly, 1st run probably ~1.2bar (Bleeder shut off),

2nd/FINAL run ! probably ~1.4 ! ! ! (hard to see guage properly

when you're doing ~160 ! !:( - that's when peak-hold comes in

handy ? ?)

Originally posted by Steve W

Steve:

IF it looks like coming anything above 3/4,000 then it'll be sold for

parts..... (or buy another and make 2-from-1 etc.)

there's DEFINITELY no way I'd stuff £8,000 in a car that'll

only be worth ~10,000 when it's done ! ! !:conf:

Steve, that is about the limit I put on it as well, I thought I could get about 3K for bits - Lexus wheels + tyres with 500 miles, decat SS exhaust etc etc.

The price of some of the parts jumped up between ordering them and the bill arriving and the labour was well above expectations, there is also three months of hire car in there; it just kept climbing and I was well past the point of no return. Had I know it would be this much my Supra would have been history - especially as it's now had four major incidents in the two years I've owned it. It must be a new car by now :eek:

My costs were a little higher than they could have been though as I got new injectors rather than cleaned ones and I got a new short engine instead of a rebuild.

i hope it does'nt turn out too bad for u.

i was gutted when i came back to see u when the plugs had gone in and it was still the same. did u get home ok with the aa (they didnt suspect any timed events)?, i was begining to get a bit worried that u where still sat outside elvington.

good luck mate :)

would it be possible to fit a uk engine, theres one for £2k

would it mate up to a jap autobox

might work out cheaper than a re build and you could try salvage a few parts to sell on . just an idea

not nice thing to happen. you will always have bad memories of elvington. was nice to meet you.

hope you sort it ok

I looked into this and as I remember the answer was not easily.

I also know what you mean about bad memories. I'm now (or will be once run in) 5h1t scared of flooring it incase it goes again. I'm sure that will wear off one day though.

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

would it be possible to fit a uk engine, theres one for £2k

would it mate up to a jap autobox

might work out cheaper than a re build and you could try salvage a few parts to sell on . just an idea

not nice thing to happen. you will always have bad memories of elvington. was nice to meet you.

hope you sort it ok

Originally posted by Steve Cargill

I looked into this and as I remember the answer was not easily.

I also know what you mean about bad memories. I'm now (or will be once run in) 5h1t scared of flooring it incase it goes again. I'm sure that will wear off one day though.

It takes about four months. And knowing you have upgraded the fuelling. And knowing CW set the fuelling up for you.

Even then when you pop a hose off and the car loses power suddenly your heart sinks and stomach churns as you have felt that loss of power before and it cost thousands...

Cost me about five grand to get mine back to normal, new engine + fitting, fuelling upgrade, and other ancillary costs, lucky for me the turbos survived 100% and I swapped them back on myself.

To be honest Steve, my bet is on option 3. Sorry mate :(

-Ian