The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Elvington - TOTBII 'practice'

Steve W

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

looking forward to it myself, trying to get some tyres in time, will probably end up on my old wheels,

we will have to do a group photo of the supras that go.

seems a few supras going

3 black ones

2 silvers

1 white

1 blue

Yeah some group photo's will be cool. Hope it's nice weather.

Hi Steve, I did this at the last Elvington in the rain! I posted the results up at the time.

I was pretty pleased considering the competition and especially since my car was not running correctly at the time due to the long running problem I had running rich which has now been fixed.

I was only running 1 bar that day I have cranked it up to 1.2 bar so we will see if that makes much difference on Sunday. Fingers crossed If the weather is suitable I should get a better time and a higher top speed.

I am pretty sure it was over 1.25 miles. I know it was pretty scarry in the rain I had the windscreen wipers on maximum setting and still could not see a thing!:eek:

Originally posted by Steve W

KEVIN ! !

just spotted THIS while "Net-Worming"......

http://www.straightliners.co.uk/results/rwyb/elv274.htm

was this over 1, 1.25, 1.5 miles ? ?

ie similar to what 'we're' gonna run over ? ?

FatS.

(I didn't see YOU in this one... but good for comparing again ?...

http://www.straightliners.co.uk/results/rwyb/elv303.htm )

It would be nice to get as many Soops as far up the list as poss'

.......... I'll bring up the REAR - sort of tail-gunner ! ! :p

Going by previous 1/4 / Speed runs, it would seem (quite rightly?)

that the Soop's will be FAIR at the 1/4, but BETTER at the Speed run ?

That's the way it seemed at Woodbridge last time !

FatS.

You won't be at the bottom Steve, I'm expecting to take that honour - I've done the 1/4 mile once in the MR2 with no handbrake and I'm still to try and get the Supra off the line with anything other than a prod of the accelerator, I can see the trip to work being interesting for the next few days :)

On the subject of Sunday does anyone know where I might be able to buy a (very) cheap helmet before then?

Our local Hallies had ~4 open-faces on their "Manager's Specials"

table the other week... haven't been down there since then...

they were ~£15 I think....

(they ARE only the cheaper 'Polycarbonate' type, NOT a quality

Fibreglass jobbie.... but, if you're only gonna use it IN the car...)

(....mind you, they were WHITE ones :p .... but then I suppose

white would suit a white Soop ? ! :conf: )

I am so pleased about that! Every time I go to York it always seams to rain:eek:

If its going to be hot I think I will try and get there early and get a few runs in! Both me and Mike (Thorin) set our best times on our second or third goes at the start of the day when it was cool, it all went downhill after that!

ps.......

weather forecast is STILL looking good ! !

(maybe just a little TOO hot... but can't have everything ?)

does anyone know if you need helmets, last time i was racing in wet we did not need them. just dont want owt to go wrong.

got my new 17`s and my 285/245 tyres have come

just need to get them fitted saturday during work time.

getting a bit more octane booster. will need to stock up the coffee machine too.

was fun in wet when i was last there was launching well that day with rltc :)

will be good racing other supras, will be a buzz

anyone from leeds or area meeting up, lee is meeting up with some skyline owners from london on the m1/a1 link

steve w you could meet up with the skyline lads so you dont get lost.

want to get there early myself. thats good skyline lads coming from london. steve where you from?

does anyone know if you need helmets, last time i was racing in wet we did not need them. just dont want owt to go wrong.

Chris Mann said you'll need a helmet for top speed and handling practice but not for the 1/4 mile. Do you have to have long sleeves or is that a trackday thing? I forgot to check that one.

anyone from leeds or area meeting up, lee is meeting up with some skyline owners from london on the m1/a1 link

I'll be heading around the north end of the ring road and onto the A64, hoping to get there early so that I can have a go when there aren't too many people around to laugh at me, sounds like that plan will fail if you all get there early though ;)

Michael you could pull your TRAC fuse and practice your power braking although you'll be fine anyway, no chance of stalling or just sitting there wheel spining with your auto.

I don't know the format of the 1/4 mile top speed runs etc but if its like woodbridge its not a problem, on the other hand the proper lights and head to head at pod adds the pressure.

BTW could well pop up from down south with steve W unless i have to be at home to let someone see me old sup (this is seeming more and more unlikely) and if its head to head 1/4 mile then we can pair up and you can kick my NA butt (i'm used to comin second best on the strip, my only victory was against some dubiously modded red car driven by some tall bloke called Ian;))

Originally posted by eyefi

yeah, i'd like to meet up. what time, where?

lee told me they meeting up at 8.45am at wolley edge services

will get there about 830

whos up for meeting. some skyline lads meeting there.

eyefi is it far from your house?

Mark,

coming from East London ("apples&pears", "gor blimey", "mine's a

Shandy mate" etc etc).

ATM ! probably try to leave ~5.30 and get to Elv' ~9.30 ? ?

(with a 1/2hr Breakie-stop somewhere on the A1:p ).

Me...DEFINITELY.

Dad...PROBABLY .

I TOO will try to get early/cool runs if possible !

I'm hoping for ~6 or more runs ? ?

Want to try some Power-BREAKIE... sorry...BRAKING starts.

and possible a MANU go ?

IF there's 'few' enough cars there, Dad will probably want to sign-on

too..... (poor old Soopie:D )

FatS.

ps....

anybody know if there's FOOD / DRINK / POOH-POOH HOLES etc ? ?

:conf:

All of the above will be present :)

Chris Mann sent this out earlier today:

we have one timed lane for 1/4m, and one lane with a top speed trap at 1.25miles. we also have a timed handling course (coned) for all day fun..

there are no staging lights this time on the 1/4m, to keep costs down, and only one lane (right hand) gest a 1/4m time, the other lane is pure top speed only. timing is based on breaking a light beam at start/finish, but is mega accurate.

catering , paramedic, fire engine, toilets on site, plus parking for

hundreds of cars. anyone welcome. it will be 5 or 6 quid each on the gate for entry/spectating, and 30 quid for racing all day. unlimited runs, but you may have to queue , hopefully not as long as at pod though! as i expect around 100 cars max. you will need a helmet for the top speed and handling ccts.

gates open 9.30am approx, racing from 10am.

i'll be there setting up the handling course at about 9.30am, black gt4

st205

bit dissapointed on the staging lights. would sooner not have handling course and just have top speed and 1/4 mile fun

think by the sound of it you can race against your mates.

when you do a top speed run in left hand lane does it record your 60foot and 1/4 and top speed in same run. or is it top speed only?

surly 100 cars racing at £30 must be worth opening for. then theres the spectating too.

you will have to pay to spectate and pay to race?

steve you wont have to get your dad signed in, just let him drive.

I got the impression that only one lane was being timed for the 1/4 mile which seems a little odd, the remaining lane must just be for people who just want to race the other car and then go on to do a top speed run - bizarre, it's just going to slow things down, most people are going to want 1/4 mile times.