The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tailgate struts that work?

Has anybody actually got some tailgate struts that actually do what there supposed to? I have had several attempts at this and best I can get is will hold the tailgate up in position after physically man  handling the tailgate up without assistance from the struts. 

11 hours ago, SIMON LC said:

Has anybody actually got some tailgate struts that actually do what there supposed to? I have had several attempts at this and best I can get is will hold the tailgate up in position after physically man  handling the tailgate up without assistance from the struts. 

Stock ones work fine

SGS is the place to go to.

There was a set of forum struts doing the rounds but they have probably disappeared into someone's bin or shelf by now. It's better to have access to a second set for a couple of reasons. The setup was people would get passed someone else's replaced weak struts to send off to SGS for a refit (they recycle the fittings with around a 10 day turn around) with new gas struts. The benefit of this were clear. First up you wouldn't have a strutless tailgate awaiting a new set coming back. Second up its far easier to change one strut at a time than deal with a very heavy tailgate totally unassisted. Third up it was nice having a forum set available. If you do need to remove both struts be aware if you are unfortunate and end up breaking the rear screen its a limited supply heritage only option now at heritage only pricing.

Might be worth putting a call out for the forum set that someone will have unless they just binned their removed struts having had the evolving forum set refurbished.

23 hours ago, SIMON LC said:

I had supratronix and they didn’t work. Sent originals off to SGS and disappointing. Standard original OEM tailgate spoiler fitted. 

I wondered why they were sent back because when i tested them they were fine (no problem refunding btw)

Wonder whats the cause of the bootlid being so heavy? Has it been painted multiple times? I have seen this with a oem bonnet that weighed a tonne

8 hours ago, SIMON LC said:

Not sure it just looks like a normal tailgate to me with nothing extra or un usual. 

Might want to pull the inner trim and see if its had dynamat added

Weird one this, following to see the outcome. Hope you get to the bottom of it

• Like 1

iv had 3 supras with 3 trd spoilers on them all. and none had a problem with the boot holding open, amd never had to replace the struts.  even when one of the spoiler sides was filled with water the struts still held then boot open.  although it was not quite as good.

3 hours ago, SIMON LC said:

Mystery to me . It’s a pain in the arse I can tell you that. 

Want to post some pictures up of the bootlid and the mounting points? Someone may spot something. Worth a shot