The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Crash Bar idea/option

Suprakeith

Right guys please bear with me as this may seem stupid but going to risk it......

Now with my supra since having bomex front bumper and now new bomex bumper i've not been able to fit the stock front crash bar duo to interfering with bumper when fitted.

So having idea at work to ive decided to laser a plate to replace the crash bar as thinking better to have something rather than nothing, at first tried 2.5mm alloy plate but was too flexible for my liking, so me being me i decided to go extreme and lasered plate out of 12mm thick steel. Still need to machine fitting holes, 

But want to get peoples opinion on weather this is good idea or stupid to fit the 12mm steel plate in place of crash bar??

I think good idea as the steel will stop any flex in front of car as at moment have nothing in plate of crash bar, but also worried if do have front end accident the steel bar may bend car frame and properly damaged radiator and parts in that area, or will the steel bar provide extra strength. 

Did say was unsure if good or stupid idea😂

Have included pictures of steel crash plate

bar 1.jpg

bar 2.jpg

bar 3.jpg

Frankly, its a ridiculous idea. The crash bar is aluminium, its designed to deform and absorb impact. a steel plate will transfer all that energy straight into your chassis and doesnt bear thinking about should the worst happen and you hit a motorbike/pedestrian.

Just get a stock crash bar

6 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Frankly, its a ridiculous idea. The crash bar is aluminium, its designed to deform and absorb impact. a steel plate will transfer all that energy straight into your chassis and doesnt bear thinking about should the worst happen and you hit a motorbike/pedestrian.

Just get a stock crash bar

I did think that at first but thought hey others options, problem is can’t fit stock crash bay with Bomex front bumper 

12mm thick aluminium. That'd do the job.

Driving into a pedestrian with a solid crash bar would be the same. I doubt material would make a difference. Their gonna be messed up. A 12mm chocolate bar at speed would hurt lolz.

Anyway. I'd not use steel. I'd at least try and copy the oem stuff.

Personally. I'd modify the current one. It's the best option if you ever drove into someone and they used a re enforced bar as cause of excessive damage. My opinion anyway.

As a professional mechanical engineer, with stress analysis experience, I can give you some tips on how to maintain a good design if you let me know how you need to modify it. So it's as strong as can be, even with a section cut out. You could do some simulated analysis on it, and document it. You could pay a freelance person a small fee to run comparison simulations. Purely for legal and personal purposes. It's cheap if you know the right people. Let me know if you wanted advice. You could also include the 12mm steel plates and compare the impact dynamics etc in a force simulation of solid contact etc.

12 hours ago, Suprakeith said:

I did think that at first but thought hey others options, problem is can’t fit stock crash bay with Bomex front bumper 

You just have to trim the sides of the crash bar and it fits back on. I don't currently have access to my old crash bar but it had been trimmed to fit the bomex that was fitted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dnk said:

Why doesn't it fit ? does it foul on the end of the crash bar ?

I had the same problem and cut a chamfer across the box section

dunks car 013.jpg

In all honestly I can’t remember as was year ago when 1st fitted Bomex bumper, and wouldn’t fit with crash bar, so sold the crash bar years ago snd haven’t had one since.

But after spin out few weeks ago snd damaging bumper I thought best look at crash bar just incase do have worst accident in future, 

2 hours ago, Dnk said:

Why doesn't it fit ? does it foul on the end of the crash bar ?

I had the same problem and cut a chamfer across the box section

dunks car 013.jpg

DNK it fouls either side of the crash bar with a bomex so a slight trim to either side and it sorts the issue exactly as you have done to yours

Edited by bradleyh_15 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Suprakeith said:

In all honestly I can’t remember as was year ago when 1st fitted Bomex bumper, and wouldn’t fit with crash bar, so sold the crash bar years ago snd haven’t had one since.

But after spin out few weeks ago snd damaging bumper I thought best look at crash bar just incase do have worst accident in future, 

Kerons selling the crash bar and easy enough to modify 

25 minutes ago, Suprakeith said:

Yea I’ve seen he sells the crash bar for around £250, which I think is bit too expensive. Plus I work in machine shop so thinking about making own crash bar 

If you have access to a milling machine then yep make your own but use box section Aluminium, for example you can buy 1m x 75mm x 50mm with 3mm wall for under £30 https://www.aluminium-online.co.uk/product/3-x-2-x-10swg-aluminium-rectangular-hollow-section/?attribute_pa_length=300mm&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhsmaBhCvARIsAIbEbH5SeLai44B7QD-NLdMFmU5uCJGtqz3suFFWI8L4B_5dnN4kAVtlT24aAo-WEALw_wcB

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Dnk said:

If you have access to a milling machine then yep make your own but use box section Aluminium, you can buy 1m x 75mm x 50mm with 3mm wall for under £30

Oh yes have access to CNC Mills & Lathe’s. I ported and polished my head at work on my big mill. 
We have lots of box section here so am sure can make something up to replace stock crash bar 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Suprakeith said:

Oh yes have access to CNC Mills & Lathe’s. I ported and polished my head at work on my big mill. 
We have lots of box section here so am sure can make something up to replace stock crash bar 

Cool, used to be my world on 5 axis CNC's 

cnc.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dnk said:

Cool, used to be my world on 5 axis CNC's 

cnc.jpg

Can’t beat a nice 5 axis… we haven’t got any where currently work just 4 axis. I’ve made so many parts at work for my build has its perks😊
Was only playing when said about using 12mm steel bar😂😂. That’s going to fixture will bolt box section too to shape ends so don’t crush or bend box section in the big vices use on my 2metre milling bed 😊

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Suprakeith said:

Can’t beat a nice 5 axis… we haven’t got any where currently work just 4 axis. I’ve made so many parts at work for my build has its perks😊
Was only playing when said about using 12mm steel bar😂😂. That’s going to fixture will bolt box section too to shape ends so don’t crush or bend box section in the big vices use on my 2metre milling bed 😊

Make a billet head!

2 minutes ago, Noz said:

Make a billet head!

I would love, maybe one day as know boss wouldn’t mind one bit, aslong as doesn’t interfere with production he sound, I was doing few hours a night writing program and testing on bits of scrap before put head in and ran full program, took fair few hours but was being extra careful.

1 minute ago, Suprakeith said:

I would love, maybe one day as know boss wouldn’t mind one bit, aslong as doesn’t interfere with production he sound, I was doing few hours a night writing program and testing on bits of scrap before put head in and ran full program, took fair few hours but was being extra careful.

What's the bhp goal again? You going to run top end cams?

I'd love to get my new head done. But I've decided I'll probably just polish the vvti ge head. As I don't want anything silly hp.

A billet head would be very impressive. Dual vvti!

10 minutes ago, Noz said:

What's the bhp goal again? You going to run top end cams?

I'd love to get my new head done. But I've decided I'll probably just polish the vvti ge head. As I don't want anything silly hp.

A billet head would be very impressive. Dual vvti!

When was doing block and head the goal was 1300bhp but built block to handle 1800bhp. 
Yes was planning in future to run 292 cams, at minute only running 264 cams. 
Want to get rest of car 100% before start chasing big power. 
That was my plan when was thinking of doing head just a polish but ended up doing full port aswell plus matched ported the inlet to the SSI manifold and increased valve size aswell. 
Billet head would be so cool and will def look at that in future. 
Also thinking of tubing the front end aswell, as have welders here and pipe bending machines. 

21 hours ago, Suprakeith said:

When was doing block and head the goal was 1300bhp but built block to handle 1800bhp. 
Yes was planning in future to run 292 cams, at minute only running 264 cams. 
Want to get rest of car 100% before start chasing big power. 
That was my plan when was thinking of doing head just a polish but ended up doing full port aswell plus matched ported the inlet to the SSI manifold and increased valve size aswell. 
Billet head would be so cool and will def look at that in future. 
Also thinking of tubing the front end aswell, as have welders here and pipe bending machines. 

No offence intended but why does anyone need this kind of horse power ? Are you going to be seriously drag racing it ? 

Seems pointless for road use and just going to land most drivers in heap of trouble even before you factor in varying road surfaces and conditions etc

Biggest I've driven was around 700 hp at the wheels and that was more than enough imo 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dnk said:

No offence intended but why does anyone need this kind of horse power ? Are you going to be seriously drag racing it ? 

Seems pointless for road use and just going to land most drivers in heap of trouble even before you factor in varying road surfaces and conditions etc

Biggest I've driven was around 700 hp at the wheels and that was more than enough imo 

No offence taken at all, but when started build my plan was to build her as road legal drag car and didn’t think would take as long as did to build. 
But now main goal is around the 700 rwhp. 
Still want to chase bigger power for drag strip snd drag strip only, but am in no rush and if doesn’t happen am not to bothered as now with new house and going thought adoption process, have more important things in life. 
All I want now is good solid fast road car that is fun but also safe if that makes sense. 

• Like 3

On 10/21/2022 at 1:43 PM, Suprakeith said:

Yea I’ve seen he sells the crash bar for around £250, which I think is bit too expensive. Plus I work in machine shop so thinking about making own crash bar 

They’re £200 plus postage if you need it, I bought one today. If you have the equipment to make one then it’s a no brainer, you could also try to build it so it adds some element of ducting to the top half the FMIC.

I’m still routinely shocked by the lack of ducting done on mid-high end builds. It has a hugely positive impact to the cooler efficiency at minimal cost.

6 hours ago, Homer said:

They’re £200 plus postage if you need it, I bought one today. If you have the equipment to make one then it’s a no brainer, you could also try to build it so it adds some element of ducting to the top half the FMIC.

I’m still routinely shocked by the lack of ducting done on mid-high end builds. It has a hugely positive impact to the cooler efficiency at minimal cost.

That’s the plan was going to add channel to top to divert air upwards more. 
I was meant to be having the intercooler pipework done in titanium as was designing ducking from the openings in bomex bumper, but am behind plans duo to spin and now changing to Ridox bumper. Hoprfully I can get bumper all sorted before Christmas and then look at getting pipework done then ducting before March next year. 

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)