The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Random Question - Number Plates

TrickyBlue

This is going to sound silly but, I have JDM sized plates for the back of my Supra. The bumper has the hole in the bumper due to being an import.

Basically, how do i line up the number plates to be drilled so they are perfectly central? My ocd would not allow me to have them offset at allย ๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

Oh, the previous plate was stuck on with about 500 sticky pads so i cant use that as a template.

With a ruler and some patience ๐Ÿ™‚ Get the distance between the two mounting bolt holes, find the centreline of the new plate and work from there. Maybe you can make a template out of cardboard for practice.

Use a nice sharp drill bit or you can make a mess of the plastic. From memory the bolt holes are m6, I got some stainless low-profile allen-head screws for them so they don't get rusted in.

26 minutes ago, TrickyBlue said:

Yeah guess that's all i can do really, may require more patience than i haveย ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

I did try making a template out of cardboard, it ended up with about 20 holes in it due to me trying to get it mm perfect

Dont need to be MM perfect. Say your using those yellow plastic m6 bolts for the rear. The heads are quite big. So use a 6.5mm/7mm drill bit as it will give slight room to shuffle the plate around and the head will still cover the hole

Edited by evinX (see edit history)

I had my rear plate stuck on for years and then finally, after about 18 years, decided I should bolt the plate onto the bracket behind.ย 

Just measure centre hole on the M6 threads to centre hole and halve it. Halve the width of the number plate and then you have your plumb line to go your half mount width either side. You then just need to measure the centre of the M6 bolt hole to the top cut on the bumper (the plate only overlaps by a few mm so I did that distance down plus 4mm. you then have your hole locations ready to drill. I'm bad a getting more than one hole to line up but my number plate bolted in fine.

On a 'standard' 13x7in rear plate, my measurements were 60mm inwards from each side and 28mm down from the top for the centre of the hole. I drilled 8mm holes so you have wiggle room to make it perfectly fit and fill the hole (used flanged M6 bolts). Using a UK spec front plate mount (no lip round the edge like the jap ones), with a standard size UK plate it was 155mm in from each side and 11mm down from the top, using 8mm holes again to get the fit perfect.ย 

IMG_2121.thumb.JPG.4a6bb4a4e7896224bcd567a12f22b2af.JPGIMG_1450.thumb.jpg.37976136c42a11a68fbdc5b48510f365.jpgIMG_1991.JPG.01e9cfa1bce3a2e80d6bb02a4b75235d.JPG

• Like 2