The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Loose valve covee bolts fix?

evinX

So im going to tackle my valve cover gaskets. As many have suffered i think its time to find a fix for the bolts becoming hand tight due to vibrations. The GEs dont have gaskets for the bolts like GTEs do so im wondering what fixes are out there to lock the bolts and not crack the valve covers.

So far my ideas are,

1. Split locking washers

2 . GTE bolt gaskets, thinking the rubber will lock the bolts?

3. Thick rubber washers

Any help?

10 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

They only need to be handtight anyway, most make the mistake of overtightening and snapping the bolt or breaking the valve cover. 

I find mine are way too lose and the rear leaks onto the box

39 minutes ago, Mike2JZ said:

Make sure you use OEM valve cover gaskets, I only see issues with non oem ones leaking. Never had rockers leak on my NA or others I've done at the rear

Ok, good shout mike as i used blueprint ones years ago. And have oem ones to go on 👌🏾

Blue loctite? I've never had that problem personally. Make sure you properly clean the gasket surface and that your cover itself isn't cracked or deformed. I torqued mine by feel so they're probably tighter than they should be.