The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy MKIV Supra

Shneebs

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get into the Supra game, I'm not one for modifying cars however it's been a dream car of mine since the early 2000's and now I'm in a position to finally get one around the 25k - 30k mark.

Been an avid fan of the 90's Jap cars and have been running a '93 Mazda MX-6 for the past 8 years however I think it might be time to take the plunge for the Supra before it becomes unobtainable.

Any recommendations for dealers / sellers or common things to look out for if I'm viewing one that you guys have experienced? I've had a look around and had a good read on some sites and I know rust is usually a big deal with the Jap cars due to lack of underside protection, can I expect the same for the Supra?

Cheers

Hello Shneebs,

My very rare UK spec Supra is advertised in this section, ( 8th February - 2022) but is probably out of your price range.

It's in standard form, apart from the suspension.

So far, I've only advertised it on the Mk4 club website.

Regards,

Steve

You have missed the Supra boat if you seek a factory manual car. There may be a modified NA car with a BMW manual gearbox for that kind of money but anything with a factory fitted V160 or V161 Toyota original box is now well over your price range. People are asking approaching £10k for just the V160/161 box alone before you get to buying the rest of the car. 

Have a word with Keron off the forum. He trade the cars and bits for the cars and he is by some margin the lowest cost dealer whilst also being a trusted trader of Supras. 

3 hours ago, Shneebs said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting, I did see your UK spec Supra advertised and what a beauty, if it had the manual gearbox and I had an extra few thousands in the bank I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Thanks

Thanks for your comments Shneebs!!! 

Steve

14 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Welcome! 30k is a very healthy budget, you'll get a good car for that. Forget NA's, twin turbos are firmly in that ball park

But we all know NAs are way better than twin turbos.

So much so, that people remove the twins as an upgrade 😛 🐌 

• Haha 1

Hi

I have imported my tt6 with TorqueGT in July 2021 and i am loving it to bits.

If you will run out of options on the local market, maybe it is a good idea to give them a call for searching NA version in Japan?

I think that the time is your enemy as the prices going up like crazy.

Good luck anyway, you have made right decision for getting a supra 😃

Edited by fullrespect (see edit history)

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's much appreciated. I'm still looking around and in no rush to buy.

@Scooter - it's a good shout but I think I'm going manual or nothing, really hoping it's not the latter.

@fullrespect - I think it might be worth looking at, had a look at your original post and that's a very nice car, if possible would you PM me a rough price you bought it at? I've considered the import route but feel I'm going in a bit blind with this much cash.

• Like 1

Like others have said a manual TT is over your budget however TT autos and NA manuals are within your budget. 

All depends what you value most. A clean car, minimal mods, mileage etc. 

Good luck with the search though! If I end up using mine as little as last year I will most likely sell it and for reference would be circa 35k as an auto. 

4 hours ago, Shneebs said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's much appreciated. I'm still looking around and in no rush to buy.

@Scooter - it's a good shout but I think I'm going manual or nothing, really hoping it's not the latter.

@fullrespect - I think it might be worth looking at, had a look at your original post and that's a very nice car, if possible would you PM me a rough price you bought it at? I've considered the import route but feel I'm going in a bit blind with this much cash.

Fair enough, you could always do a later conversion to manual (there are a few options these days if you didn't have to be a V160 purist), or an NA manual and you could do a mild NA-T conversion and keep the W58. 

If you would be happy with 4-450hp, NAt will always be cheapest route. If you do some minor work yourself, grab a few bargain second hand parts, will always be cheaper.

If you think you'll want 500hp or beyond, get a TT to begin with. The extra faff getting an NA to those power levels makes is the lesser choice.

If you can't afford a TT manual. Just keep saving.

9 hours ago, Shneebs said:

I've considered the import route but feel I'm going in a bit blind with this much cash

Just give a call to Torque GT and speak to Darren, he will tell you all prices at the moment for any supra you would like to go. He is a very nice chap and happy to talk through all available options. Will definitely shed much more light than all of us in this topic, as many of us already own the car and paid various prices for them.

You need a current state of the game to think more reasonable and make good decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.