The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full respray diary

Kaamos

That’s probably a bit egoistic and may not be interesting to many people but…. my supra is getting a full respray so I just felt like posting some work in progress pictures here.

Was storm blue, will remain storm blue 🙂

Damaged oem skirts will be replaced by new replica ones from Whifbitz

As the car gets stripped down I may bump into some parts that need replacing so I will open threads accordingly.

Speaking of which, I have 2 (silly?) questions about the TOYOTA and SUPRA badges :

1.is there a difference between the front and the rear toyota badge (parts number seem to be different) ?

2.are there differences between the new A90 toyota and supra badges and the “old” mkiv ones ? In other words, is it ok ordering new badges from Mr T. or were there specific to mkiv ? (different material, size, color, finish, whatever….).

Till then, here she is, getting prepped; to be continued 🙂

6412054081[1].jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noz said:

Love a good build thread. What this forum is all about !!!

Love the colour. Good choice to stick with it.

yes, I wanted to keep it storm blue for 2 reasons:

A I love this shade anyway

B since the car is almost fullstock otherwise, and considering the current values, I wanted to stick with a stock color 🙂

2 hours ago, AC93 said:

Front and rear badge are slightly different in size 

Thanks for the input

12 hours ago, Kaamos said:

That’s probably a bit egoistic and may not be interesting to many people but…. my supra is getting a full respray so I just felt like posting some work in progress pictures here.

Was storm blue, will remain storm blue 🙂

Damaged oem skirts will be replaced by new replica ones from Whifbitz

As the car gets stripped down I may bump into some parts that need replacing so I will open threads accordingly.

Speaking of which, I have 2 (silly?) questions about the TOYOTA and SUPRA badges :

1.is there a difference between the front and the rear toyota badge (parts number seem to be different) ?

2.are there differences between the new A90 toyota and supra badges and the “old” mkiv ones ? In other words, is it ok ordering new badges from Mr T. or were there specific to mkiv ? (different material, size, color, finish, whatever….).

Till then, here she is, getting prepped; to be continued 🙂

6412054081[1].jpg

Nice to see another UK Spec being revitalised after a life time in the horrible British weather! Am I right in saying this is now in France?

On 5/19/2021 at 1:28 PM, Tyson said:

Nice to see another UK Spec being revitalised after a life time in the horrible British weather! Am I right in saying this is now in France?

Correct, it has been in France for a while now 🙂

Got a message from the workshop, down the line they found out that, if the car was originally storm blue, it has been sapphire blue at some point in it's mid-age haha.

Rear boot lid was rusted beyond salvation but I was lucky enough to find a mint condition one 2hours drive from my place .

Driver side frond wheel arch also needs some surgery

6412970361[1].jpg

6412052081[1].jpg

IMG_48841[1].jpg

12 hours ago, Kaamos said:

Correct, it has been in France for a while now 🙂

Got a message from the workshop, down the line they found out that, if the car was originally storm blue, it has been sapphire blue at some point in it's mid-age haha.

Rear boot lid was rusted beyond salvation but I was lucky enough to find a mint condition one 2hours drive from my place .

Driver side frond wheel arch also needs some surgery

6412970361[1].jpg

6412052081[1].jpg

IMG_48841[1].jpg

Just a bit crusty! Was it visible before taking the screen out?

On 5/24/2021 at 2:59 PM, Tyson said:

Just a bit crusty! Was it visible before taking the screen out?

Definitely, there were some blisters here and there and the screen itself wasn't holding on very tight anymore (IE you could see it move when shutting passenger or driver front door).

Meanwhile, she's finally in for the paintjob !

IMG_48971[1].jpg

IMG_48961[1].jpg

IMG_48981[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, Kaamos said:

Definitely, there were some blisters here and there and the screen itself wasn't holding on very tight anymore (IE you could see it move when shutting passenger or driver front door).

Meanwhile, she's finally in for the paintjob !

IMG_48971[1].jpg

IMG_48961[1].jpg

IMG_48981[1].jpg

Was water actually getting into the car then? If so has it causes any rust issues with the boot floor?

18 hours ago, Tyson said:

Was water actually getting into the car then? If so has it causes any rust issues with the boot floor?

Luckily it was not this bad : yes I did get some water inside, IE after a heavy rain when opening the rear boot lid there were some water drops leaking from.... god what's the name in english...... the left tip of the big plastic cap that's under the lid, near the boot strut.

My cheap emergency fix was to strap a sponge in the right spot haha so no, no rust issue on the boot floor.

Now only the sideskirts left and she'll be good to go !

Speaking of sideskirts, I got the oem replica from Whifbitz.

I think it's important that we share our experiences here with sellers, the bad ones (I'm having one with Sumo Power and I may soon update my thread here about that) but also the good ones. And the workshop was really pleasantly surprised with the fit and finish of these parts from Whifbitz so if you guys were looking for oem style skirts and were hesitating....... don't 🙂

IMG_50391_web.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the car back from th workshop, I was so used to the old paint covered in swirls that I now have the feeling that the car is wet hahaha. It does look great in the flesh and I'm happy with it, now I need to find the time and place for some proper beauty shots, to be continued 🙂

Till then, a quickphone picture from my underground garage on delivery day 🙂 

20210601_182942 (0-00-00-00).jpg

• Like 1