The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Underside Refurbishment

raddys

#Hi guys, some of you may have read that I'm looking to do a complete underside re-haul soon and I've just posted this in my other thread (oem bushes) I have a few questions regarding pricing and I need some subframes if anyone has any?#

I started out wanting new bushes, its somehow snowballed into me refurbing the underside completely lol

However like many members have said it future proofs the car for some time to come

I'm pretty sure I'm going ahead with the project now after giving it some hard thought, a nice member on here by the name of erachter is helping me source all the bits (very helpful chap) and today I arranged with my mechanic to meet with his guy that does alot of bodywork and restorations on older cars (mainly rs fords and skylines i believe) they are called platinum paintwork.

We will all meet as soon as covid rules permit and go over the details.

Il be looking out for front and back subframes so I can get them galvanised and completed prior to doing the job. Il then give my mechanic a crate load of underside parts to build up the complete subframes with arms, suspension, etc 

Meanwhile the resto guys can deal with the removal of the old subframes, fuel lines, brake lines and the old underseal It had when it arrived in the uk in 2010, it will then be repainted in factory renaissance red before having the completely new subframes and other parts (fuel tank cover, lines etc) fitted.

A costly job as many have said but one thats worthwhile in the long run and I would think I'd see my investment returned if I came to sell as the car will be good for another 30 years.

Any of you that have refurbished your underside could you please tell me what garages you used to do the work and a rough guide of what an average price would be to strip the underside of underseal and repaint it with the removal of everything underneath and the refitting of all the newly built subframes once completed by my mechanic?

Many thanks and a happy new lockdown 😂, Grant 

Sounds like a well thought out plan fella, after a few of my flip supras have turned out to be absolute rust buckets its definitely a worthwhile outlay, seems theres a few poeple either gone through the underside refurb recently or doing it soon, ive just ordered a rollover jig a few hours ago to do the underside of mine, its fully stripped so the best option for me to do it at home

• Like 1

I went to James of Performance@Hart who did an excellent job. He did all the work on the car including the subframe refurbs / gearbox clean and paint / diff rebuild etc.

Was a few years ago now so maybe best to drop him a line and see what sort of prices he'd offer. I know he's done a fair few now so knows his way around them. Most rewarding job I've done on my car I reckon. Rear end was literally seized solid and couldn't even have the alignment altered. So I'm glad it's done!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Style said:

I went to James of Performance@Hart who did an excellent job. He did all the work on the car including the subframe refurbs / gearbox clean and paint / diff rebuild etc.

Was a few years ago now so maybe best to drop him a line and see what sort of prices he'd offer. I know he's done a fair few now so knows his way around them. Most rewarding job I've done on my car I reckon. Rear end was literally seized solid and couldn't even have the alignment altered. So I'm glad it's done!

James is doing mine at the moment. Very impressed so far- he sends me pictures of the progress and would recommend him. He also found a couple of issues that I would never have found on my own so I'm very pleased it's getting done. 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, Style said:

How’s it holding up? Do you use it daily?