The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Rear Anti Roll bar for UK Spec Supra? MOT Failed

trevorc

Hi,

My MOT failed today with a fractured rear anti roll bar on the rear passenger side.

I'm now trying to find a suitable replacement, guessing OEM part won't be available and that I'll need to replace the bushes and brackets as well given the aged state.

I think that the UK Spec bar was thicker than the Jap spec but not 100% sure if that is just a NA/TT difference???

Can anyone recommend a suitable part/kit...

I've found this but it is importing from Malyasia so no idea when that would turn up at the moment...

https://ultraracingshop.com/products/ultra-racing-rear-anti-roll-bar-ar23-209?rq=mk_toyota~md_supra-jza80~bg_all-models~yr_1993

Don't mind if second hand in good condition, my car is stock power levels.

Any suggestions welcome.

20201110_152015.jpg

OEM all the way, if you want aftermarket then TRD.

UK Spec part number is 48812-14231 and is unavailable at Amayama. Facelift TT (48812-14260) is showing in stock at Amayama - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/4881214260 remember shipping, the taxes will be added when it hits the U.K.

Try TCB, the new forum traders. They have been very helpful to me and other members when sourcing parts. Their prices are probably the best you are going to get in the U.K. for OEM parts.

Edited by Frank Bullitt (see edit history)

I'm pretty sure the UK bar was 2mm thicker. The bars tend to conical wear away from the centre under the rubber bush and finally snap; seeing they are formed from a fairly thin wall hollow tube. If it were mine, having got my welding certificate, I'd probably look into welding a new tube section into the bar in order to retain the original bar. Though yours does look to be badly corroded. You wouldn't know if it is salvageable until you got it off for a good examination.

2 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

On an aside, if you're anti roll bar is that badly corroded I'd take a day and have a good look at the condition of the rest of the underside, as theres bound to be other bits in dire need of replacing.

Great advice 

Whifbitz offer a range of replacement anti roll bar kits at varying price points.  They have their own branded kit, TRD, Cusco and Titan.

Make sure the kit you get includes the replacement bushes and I'd also suggest replacement brackets.  Yours look crusty.

Remember to get new drop links and drop link nuts.  You may also need new bracket bolts depending on the kit you get.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

2 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

Whifbitz offer a range of replacement anti roll bar kits at varying price points.  They have their own branded kit, TRD, Cusco and Titan.

Make sure the kit you get includes the replacement bushes and I'd also suggest replacement brackets.  Yours look crusty.

Remember to get new drop links and drop link nuts.  You may also need new bracket bolts depending on the kit you get.

I second this, just stay away from whiteline, they are trash.

I wanted TRD but they aren't available new anymore, so I went with Paul Whiffins own anti-roll bars which are very similar to TRD, also both front and rear are adjustable :) I've been very happy with them.

Hi, thanks for the replies, trying to keep costs down as also have a shock absorber to buy, welding few holes to cover, and on edge of needing 4 new tyres aswell.

I've tried TCB, used many times successfully, but no luck on this item.

I've found this sound like right sort of thickness: £234 https://ultraracingshop.com/products/ultra-racing-rear-anti-roll-bar-ar23-209?rq=mk_toyota~md_supra-jza80~bg_all-models~yr_1994

I will try and see if whifbitz sell just the rear kit as on the website it has front and rear.

Ebay has TRD kits but all in USA so lots of shipping and taxes on top.

3 hours ago, bradleyh_15 said:

What Burna said really and it just so happens I have a front subframe fully cleaned and painted if you need one 😅

Front sub-frames don't rust and the front end in general doesn't see the flying dust, grit and stones that the back section does. With the front end, if the hub dust shields are original and in decent condition then everything else will be also.

It's big money doing an underside overhaul so not something everyone can afford or even justify, I recon with my own lavish money splurge even with 100 hours of free labour, for every £1 spent it might add 20p to the cars value. As an investment decision, it sucks. If people are worried about rust then its a simple money no object or I really should sell decision as rust is something no 25 year old car was ever designed to survive.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, rider said:

Front sub-frames don't rust and the front end in general doesn't see the flying dust, grit and stones that the back section does. With the front end, if the hub dust shields are original and in decent condition then everything else will be also.

It's big money doing an underside overhaul so not something everyone can afford or even justify, I recon with my own lavish money splurge even with 100 hours of free labour, for every £1 spent it might add 20p to the cars value. As an investment decision, it sucks. If people are worried about rust then its a simple money no object or I really should sell decision as rust is something no 25 year old car was ever designed to survive.

I was only suggesting I had one if you required one mate. Also got a rear arb but it’s from a jap spec

FD9C1A6A-B722-4466-B916-A1A6FAC90F3A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...