The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FMIC fitted by cowboys!

cbowditch

My TT has a FMIC fitted. When the aux electric fan runs it makes a racket. I took the radiator expansion tank out and can see why. The cowboys that fitted the FMIC, moved the PAS cooler pipes so that they are touching the aux electric fan. When the fan runs its rubbing against the PAS cooler :taped: I did a forum search and found that the recommendation is to fit a slim line fan in place of the original big fan. Any recommendations on the the slim line fan to use? I hope the electrical connections are a straight forward switched live and earth?

Previous owner did it, but he runs a local garage. There was no gas in the air/con and I suspect they might of drained the gas so the aux fan didn't run. The fan didn't start until after I had the a/c re-gassed. So maybe he just didn't care about a/c, but I do lol. Either way its a cowboys job as fan should be changed so it doesn't rub on the PAS cooler

I do sometimes wonder why people are still fitting FMIC's when you can buy deeper SMIC's and technology has moved on to liquid to air intercoolers or a/c assisted intercoolers for those looking for a hp boost with denser air.

I do sometimes wonder why people are still fitting FMIC's when you can buy deeper SMIC's and technology has moved on to liquid to air intercoolers or a/c assisted intercoolers for those looking for a hp boost with denser air.

Because FMICs look sick

For My Insignificant Cock.

Maybe. :)

The charge cooler on my old E55 used to get so hot after a couple of pulls, to the extent that the ECU used to pull all the timing and I'd lose circa 50% of the power. Great tech that! :rolleyes:

Forgive me if Mis read the original post. But the PAS cooler is normally in front of the AC condenser so when it a FMIC gets fitted it has to get moved out the way. Most FMIC kits that are half decent come with a new PAS cooler that can be fitted to the side in front of the washer resivoir.

As mentioned above though if you have an OEM bumper a new SMIC is your best bet. I have Whifbitz SMIC and hard Pipe kit with the original ducting for the SMIC and it runs great on my TT6 BPU

These are old cars now. FMIC was fitted way back in 2007/2008 lol. I'm sure there are better options 12 years on. Yeah seems whoever fitted it went for a cheaper option, as original PAS pipes are squeezed between FMIC and a/c condenser fan. I don't really want to spend £1K to fix this (with SMIC) so I'm looking to change the fan. Since no recommendations I'll just pick a cheapie off ebay and give it a whirl. Better than no fan at all, as I read some people have just removed it altogether!

Edited by cbowditch (see edit history)

Because you get the gain without being too expensive. Mines black are hardly noticeable. I didnt want it looking like I had an A3 with the pipes cut through the outside of the bumper.

For My Insignificant Cock.

Maybe. :)

Dont you run one of those noisy whiny things that are like a turbo but slower :D