The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clunking when pressing clutch in quickly

Hissig

So im having terrible clunking when i press my clutch in quick in 1st and 2nd. Its like when the driveline is loaded and deloaded quick it gives of this "clunk-clunk-clunk" . Sounds like something is loose or something.

Diff just been overhauled and installed new poly diff mounts all over.

Im thinking it could be the transmission mount?

Im also having chattering/shuddering on takeoff.

Running oem DM flywheel with south bend endurance stage 3.

Im up for ideas! ?

Have anyone tried the vibra technic mount?

I dont want anymore vibration and sound in this car please ;)

thanks

Poly mounts wont help, but could be your technique? Where is the clunk coming from?

Shuddering is the clutch, warped/worn, build up of crap on the friction plate

Its coming from the gearbox area.. not sure exactly where. Shouldnt be technique I think. I know how to drive a manual :)

My buddy thought it was drive-shaft or the trans mount and not clutch related, hes a former car mechanic so he knows a thing or two. But I guess it could be a bunch of things. It wasnt there before I serviced the diff and changed to poly mounts tho.

Its very annoying and have started to get on my nerves :(

I had an old land rover with the same sound, it had a lot of rotational play in the propshaft (aka "driveline lash"). Never bothered trying to fix it because the car wasn't worth anything but that was what I thought it was anyway. Maybe try getting under the car and seeing how much you can rotate the shaft by hand. I don't really know what I'm talking about so I could be wrong though :)

I had an old land rover with the same sound, it had a lot of rotational play in the propshaft (aka "driveline lash"). Never bothered trying to fix it because the car wasn't worth anything but that was what I thought it was anyway. Maybe try getting under the car and seeing how much you can rotate the shaft by hand. I don't really know what I'm talking about so I could be wrong though :)

There is a lot of slop in the driveline. So sometimes i can hear a "clack" sound when letting off. But i think this clunking is something else.

And no it does not sound good at all!

I`ll have to get someone look or film the car from underneath while the car is on stands or on a ramp and check.

Diff has been rebuilt. Propshaft has a lot of play in it when handbrake on and in neutral. But should be somewhat normal on these cars?

I dont think the gearbox have been touched. car has 150k miles so gearbox is probably due for a service.

But this thing was suddenly there after winter storage and diff rebuild. new poly mounts on diff front and rear. I guess the polys can make other mounts show there weaknesses?

Will do a checkup under the car when i have time.

I have the drivetrain / prop clonk coming on and off the power.

I've changed flywheel, all diff mounts, gearbox mount, propshaft is fine, and it's still there. There's a little play in the drive shafts.

So I'm now thinking mine is in the diff.

Was your diff input shaft all set to the right torque?

I have the drivetrain / prop clonk coming on and off the power.

I've changed flywheel, all diff mounts, gearbox mount, propshaft is fine, and it's still there. There's a little play in the drive shafts.

So I'm now thinking mine is in the diff.

Was your diff input shaft all set to the right torque?

/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure it was! The dude who did it has a good reputation in doing diffs and v160s.

The on and off power "klank" i can live with. Its been there since i bought the car and it doesnt bother me at all. But this new multiple clunk problem i would like to get rid of.

• 1 year later...

One aspect often overlooked is the diff mount at the rear of the sub frame. The rubber goes a bit squishy when its aged and can lead to transmission hop with power on/off. When I did my underside refurb the only parts that looked like they needed doing were the two bushes mounting the rear of the differential. They were very soft and pliable compared to the new OEM replacements.

If you can rig a camera underneath then you can check to see if you have any diff rocking/hopping going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rider said:

One aspect often overlooked is the diff mount at the rear of the sub frame. The rubber goes a bit squishy when its aged and can lead to transmission hop with power on/off. When I did my underside refurb the only parts that looked like they needed doing were the two bushes mounting the rear of the differential. They were very soft and pliable compared to the new OEM replacements.

If you can rig a camera underneath then you can check to see if you have any diff rocking/hopping going on.

Agree with this.  When I replaced mine the old ones looked OK.  The rubber wasn't cracked or particularly perished, but the metal part did have some surface rust.

When removing them I cut the rubber out and the inside of the rubber had almost turned into a liquid / slime!  Clearly this would have substantially reduced their effectiveness, and just shows you can't always judge these things from appearance alone.