The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"aem-elecronics" - afr (air fuel ratio) gauge fitted.

herbiemercman

Hi Guys, It took me 3 years from the NAT Conversion being fitted for me to realize the importance of fitting an AFR Gauge, which i carried out yesterday, it is a "AEMelectronics" wideband which provides quantatative data, digital and LED. It was £200 and comes with the advanced Bosch sensor.

Basically the Converter, "Rocket Dog Racing" told me that a boost gauge and an AFR were a "nice to have", but not essential as he was happy to let the MAP provide the protection required.

So 3 years on and i now have a thicker cylinder head gasket and a "Jap Parts" 3" free flow exhaust system, i received different views as to how the two changes could affect my MAP, this included the opinion from the NAT Converter.

After experiencing a loss of boost caused by a wide split in the boost pipe and following this a sticking waste gate, again loss of boost, i managed to get a full performance recovery to the engines power output, circa

415 BHP at 1.2 Bar, smooth running and bags of power.

Noz and one or two other members, from their experience and know how, convinced me that an AFR gauge is a must, their hypothesis was that if something in the fueling systems control, sensors, continuity problems, poor quality fuel etc caused the engine to run lean, eg: 18 to 1. air to fuel mixture, then the aluminium in the combustion chamber could warp or melt, which would be a worse case scanairio than the cylinder head gasket failing, which is an expensive difficult high tech job to do.

The engine runs from a cold start at 12 to 1, and then cruises at 14.5 to 1, and on full boost circa 11 to 1, it is spot on and i enjoy knowing that this important condition is running correctly. Herbie.

AEM.AFR (1).jpg (446.6 KB)

AEM.AFR (2).jpg (441.3 KB)

AFR Sender.jpg (564.0 KB)

AEM.AFR (1).jpg

AEM.AFR (2).jpg

AFR Sender.jpg

Edited by herbiemercman
numerical mistake on full boost pressure. (see edit history)

I wouldn't be surprised if you were actually making more power than 415hp with such a lean piston melting mixture.

Peak power mixture is around 12:5. Though not much safety margin at this level. Better for road cars to find themselves in the 11.5-12 range.

So correct in thinking that going leaner will actually be detrimental to power.

I'm assuming he is still running stock NA 330cc injectors. If so then definitely won't be close to 415hp.

Hi guys, I have been a right prick here and unwittingly started "a storm in a tea cup".

My previous readings were on the day i fitted the AFR and it was just basically close to where i live and to be honest i only caught a glance of the highest reading of 15 to 1 for a split second.

Today i went on the M65 and it was very quiet to carry out a more meaningful test run, here are the readings AFR's recorded:

COLD START: 14 TO 1.

ENGINE TICK OVER UP TO TEMP AND OIL TEMP AT 90DEG.C: 14.8 TO 1.

HALF THROTTLE 5TH GEAR: 90 MPH ISH: 12.5 TO 1.

BOOT DOWN SILLY SPEED: 11 TO 1.

The readings held steady for for a while at least one mile or so at high speed.

The 15 to 1 occurs momentarily when you are de-cellerating and this is where the gauge starts to fluctuate a little, when you shut off completely there are no readings which is understandable.

So thank you for the posts and join me in my celabration, i must admit i could not wait this morning after what Noz told me about the leaning out, to carry out a proper test run. Herbie.