The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bought wheels from Sumopower, huge mess, am I the only one ?

Kaamos

Hi there !

I ordrerd a set of Wedssport wheels from Sumopower in late 2018.

2 wheels have a machining defect, making them unusable.

Sumo has been unable to provide suitable replacement nor refund ever since.

We got to the point where they would not even answer my emails anymore !

Any one else with a similar misfortune ?

• 8 months later...

I’m re-upping this thread; since I have been unable to solve my issue with Sumopower over phone calls, text messages, e-mails and formal letters I thought It would be interesting to let you folks know about the situation.

Loooooong story short, here’s what happened.

Decembre 2018 (yes, 2018!) I ordered a set of 4 Wedssport wheels from Sumopower.

As it is a staggered mount, front and rear wheels are different sizes.

It appears that the rear wheels have a manufacturing defect (which has been acknowledged by Sumopower) and therefore I cannot fit them to the car.

They offered to replace the 2 faulty rims, so I returned them to sumo (and of course had to pay the courrier).

Unfortunately the 2 replacement rims they got from japan were not brand new, they had some minor scratches.

We agreed that I would accept these replacement rims with the counterpart of a partial refund sicne I paid for new wheels and had been unable to use the items. 

Nevertheless, these reconditioned rims were AGAIN subject to a manufacturing defect.

From that point on, I got no more answers from Sumopower, neither by email nor by formal letter.

I had to let my lawyer handle this but they haven’t answered his letter either which is totally unacceptable and unprofessional.

What’s more, I had a chat with the european head of imports for Wedssport and he told me that the rims I ordered back in the day were scheduled for a redesign; so even if I got a pair of new rear wheels now I would find myself with a set of mismatched designs !

Sue the fukkers at moneyclaim, a government website. Only costs a few £ to start a court claim which is usually enough to focus minds and you can add any costs incurred to the settlement value you are seeking. The only problems fall if they contest as the court hearing would always be in a court local to the defendant so you'd need to factor in getting from wherever you live to Cambridge area to attend court. If you or your appointed legal representative don't attend then the case is thrown out. But, you can add all costs incurred to your claim and present those to the judge in court.

I've sued lots of former customers and never lost a claim. I quite like seeing them squirm after they have messed me around with late payments as the further they dig in the more pain you can inflict. Frozen bank accounts was fun as was a third party debt order on one customers bank account though you do need to have access to their bank details for this to apply. Obtaining bank details is fairly easy, I've just called up the company's accounts people and said I need to arrange a BACS payment to them to clear an invoice or buy a product and always fell over themselves to share their details. From their last accounts they carry about £100k of stock and £20k cash at bank so the bailiffs wouldn't have any problem collecting against a court order. Go have some fun at their expense.

Edited by rider
additional info (see edit history)

You'd probably need to appoint a local solicitor then, but only if they contest the claim and force it to court. If they don't respond to the claim then it automatically gets judged in your favour and its then simply a process of appointing court bailiffs which you can also arrange on the moneyclaim website after judgement. Lots of companies will contest for the hassle of it as it costs them nothing. I'd expect them to do this in your case, assuming that it'll be too much trouble for you so you won't turn up at the court. So, before you file (you may well need to be a UK resident to file using the government service) chat to a few solicitors around Cambridge to get an idea of notice and fees they would want to attend court. If you win these costs will all be added to the judgement settlement anyway, then its just a matter of collecting. As I mentioned that shouldn't present any problem with the stock value they maintain. Chances are, even if they contest it they wouldn't actually turn up themselves so it'd be a automatic judgement to you. You could even suggest to them its not worth your turning up to make it even less likely they will turn up.

You don't need to be represented by a solicitor, it can be anyone - just someone who is confident of the details and can talk coherently with the Judge. Maybe there is a forum member near to Cambridge who is also a solicitor who could help you out and attend the court hearing if it went that far.

I have found my bank to be a good shout. 

I went to meet and greet with robbie fowler (ex liverpool player) bidded and won a signed framed shit paid the event runner and never got said shirt.

A call to my bank and explained the issue they refunded me and then went after said event company.

@The Raven, I'm glad yo could sort your issue this way, but I'm not sure this applies to a 2-years-ago purchase

@T2 MSW I gotta check about the moneyclaim and local solicitor thing.

In the mean time I heard about and got in touch with www.europe-consommateurs.eu/en/home

I hope they can be a solution for me here (while my lawyer goes for the hard procedure which takes longer) and in any case you guys may have a look since they could be your answer shoud you be in trouble with a company inside EU but outside UK

Edited by Kaamos
typo (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

Hi there, it's trial time !

So I'm raising this topic from the dead.

I still haven't heard or read from SUMOPOWER ever since and had no other choice than sue them since they have not complied with any of their legal obligations in connection with the sale.

I hate doing that but, here we go I'm having an audience by paper in July and I am asked by county court to provide any possible evidence and testimony.

So if anyone has encountered issues of various amplitude with SUMOPOWER and is willing to make a contribution, I'll be glad to collect your testimonies until tuesday june the 29th.

I'm not intending to tarnish their image but out of fairness I believe it's also important that club members know about this kind of behaviour from a professsional dealer and make informed choices.

Glad you've had some progress.

Every trader will at some point have an issue they'd rather avoid. But ignorance isn't a remedy so I hope you get a solution. It leaves a bitter taste for your whole build, look forward to hopefully some positive resolution.

13 hours ago, Swampy442 said:

I take it you're not in the UK? If you were I suppose you could have gone to their offices and asked questions. Terrible service and I hope you get a resolution

Indeed, I'm in France.... not the end of the world but, still......

In all honesty I don’t think you will find anyone who uses Sumopower on the forum. From a personal point of view, I used them way back in 2008 and they failed to complete my order.

Searching the forum may give you old examples but I doubt their business ethic has changed.

I’d be looking at social media and Google for help.

Good luck 🙂

I've recently bought these from Sumpower https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192316363831. The delivery was late, but unprompted they contacted me to make me aware and whether I wished to continue waiting for the order to arrive, or to cancel and receive a full refund. I'm a no hassle customer anyway so I was happy to wait. They then contacted when they had arrived, and I received them yesterday. So a good experience for me.

5 hours ago, Frank Bullitt said:

In all honesty I don’t think you will find anyone who uses Sumopower on the forum. From a personal point of view, I used them way back in 2008 and they failed to complete my order.

Searching the forum may give you old examples but I doubt their business ethic has changed.

I’d be looking at social media and Google for help.

Good luck 🙂

Thank you for the suggestion, I won't have time for that right now but in the unlikely event of a second hearing (I believe/hope my case is already strong enough) I will then do so 🙂

4 hours ago, Burna said:

I've recently bought these from Sumpower https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192316363831. The delivery was late, but unprompted they contacted me to make me aware and whether I wished to continue waiting for the order to arrive, or to cancel and receive a full refund. I'm a no hassle customer anyway so I was happy to wait. They then contacted when they had arrived, and I received them yesterday. So a good experience for me.

Glad you were luckier than me 🙂 and also, I'm not surprised that they can sometimes NOT fail, otherwise I don't see how they could still be around ^^