The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost gauges - how reliable ?

herbiemercman

Hello Dudes, My Boost gauge is only measuring and showing negative pressure readings? , to be honest in the past i have only payed attention to my oil temperature gauge, so it is possible the gauge or it's sender has never worked correctly? They are only low cost items and i have no means of testing it, i am only bothered about the performance as i think i have a boost problem.

Some one may know if these gauges can have the situation i have, if it is unlikely and it is telling me there is a boost problem? My view is that if the gauge can register negative pressure, then it should be able to register positive pressure readings? Herbie.

Sounds like it's functioning perfectly and you have a boost leak :)

Just check for that first and if you sort the boost leak, your boost gauge will soon show whether it's reading right or not.

Pull the air filter off, start the car, put a flat surface over the front of the turbo and let us know if it stalls straight away

Thanks for comments guys, do any of you know where the sensor is located? boost pressure is + positive, so why are my readings negative, this suggests the sender is on the air intake side, not the boost side?, having said that i guess the readings could be negative until the turbo cuts in, then the readings would go + positive.

Hi Noz, I am at my friends garage tomorrow where we can check the boost system from his ramp, the ones not inside the engine bay are not visible unless you get under the car. I have had the boost pipe blow off twice until i realized that the guy who assembled it used silicon grease to push the pipes on more easily, problem being they can then slip off. I do not expect to find a boost leak, more likely the wastegate for some reason is sticking open? Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

The sensor will likely be coming off one of the vacuum hoses on your intake manifold where it will read positive pressure when it sees it. If you have a boost leak, the turbo can't pressurise the system as it is discharging to atmosphere through the leak which is why your gauge never comes out of -ve reading.

A stuck open wastegate could also be the culprit I guess. Just got to listen out for the turbo spooling or not

Hi Style, Just seen your post and you are spot on, see my new thread, re, boost false dawn, it explains about the wastegate.

Changing the subject, i have full boost back, BUT, the boost gauge is still only giving neg readings? My local mechanic came by with a boost gauge and this gave the same readings?, he moved the pressure pipe from the take off used for the boost MAP sensor, and connected it to the pressure sensor at the outlet on the turbo pipe, readings the same? surely not two faulty gauges?

I am made up that my boost is back, but the boost gauge is a mistry. Herbie.

It will be showing in negative on idle. Take the car out for a proper drive, and see what it does. A 4th gear pull from 50 should be adequate.

I would always recommend a gauge with a 'peak hold' function as a minimum, though ideally a recall/ replay ability to show exactly what it was doing.

I use Stack gauges, as they are high quality and feature rich.

Frank is one of our wealthier members lol

You can find an AEM or Innovate gauge and sensors for around 120-180.

- - - Updated - - -

What is a lambda/far gauge? Also do the AFR gauges show up if you are running rich or lean?

I would google your questions. Worth you reviewing in detail both of what you ask for.

Frank is one of our wealthier members lol

You can find an AEM or Innovate gauge and sensors for around 120-180.

I would google your questions. Worth you reviewing in detail both of what you ask for.

:p

I love the stack stuff as it's tried and tested. I have one fitted to monitor the tiptronic autobox temperature. Ashamedly I never look at it as it's hidden away in the glovebox but the alarm is set to sound off should things get too hot! :innocent:

Agree with you both and thank you, I am not doing anything else until i get some data from a rolling road, possibilities are Runcorn and Birmingham, but still not sure they will not want involvement with my Greedy Emanage piggy back? Why did Rocket Dog use this on all his many conversions? A guy in the London area told me it is not a problem, but you need a lap top with XP software on it, he was working at one of the top Tuners, they wanted circa £3K to sort me out, no chance.