The mkiv Supra Owners Club

speedo issues after 1uz conversion.

Shane

Pretty sure you need an mr2 speedo head I never got my speedo working at all but there's a thread on here about it somewhere I searched for it just now but I can't find it. It's to do with the pulse signal. I'll keep trying to find the link

- - - Updated - - -

Great to hear the cars up and running :thumbs:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SupraStick is set at 16 blips per rev from speed-sensor, so if the X4 is not done electronically, it must from the gear-pair?

It is why your's has 4 x times more again that's the mystery?

Hang on, that doesn't make sense! I think we have pretty much established that Supras/Soarers, most in fact No.1 VSS's are outputting around 4 pulses per rpm of the transmission output shaft but there seems to be an exception with early LS400s. Why then is your Suprastick programmed for 16 pulses per rpm, unless you are taking it from a wheel sensor or maybe the No.2 VSS (thats the 2 pin sensor) and not the No1 VSS?

Unless the box dies we are unlikely to know as theres little point in laying underneath and struggling when 4 connections to the DET3 and a bit of experimentation/basic maths will fix the problem and provide speedo.

Pretty sure you need an mr2 speedo head I never got my speedo working at all but there's a thread on here about it somewhere I searched for it just now but I can't find it. It's to do with the pulse signal. I'll keep trying to find the link

- - - Updated - - -

Great to hear the cars up and running :thumbs:

Hey Scott thanks, yes after all this time its up and running and as you described its a great engine. Progress was thwarted a bit by pikies knicking the plastic crate with the ancilleries in but luckily most of that we didn't need and thank god I took the ecu out for safe keeping before that happened. Gearbox is silky smooth and Dave did some of his magic on it which helps further and the engine pulls like a train and sounds awesome.

As for the MR2 bit, that's the rev counter you are thinking off I think. So the well trodden path on these conversions is that you use the stepper motor and pcb from a 4 cyl MR2 and take the feed from one of the 1uz ingniters giving you the correct rpm. We did this....BUT..knowing what I know now I doubt if I would if I was doing another conversion, I would simply do it electronically using the Det3 piggy back that will also be used to lose the MAF and a load of other stuff. Will also be a a MAP system ready for some forced induction at a later date with a bit of control over fueling too

So with a stock Jspec TT speedo and face and the wheel, tyre and diff (NA Auto) set up we have, a multiplier of 0.140 does the trick and is as close as it needs to be across the whole speedo range compared with a GPS. Hope the info in this thread will help someone if following a 1uz conversion they have similar issues.

Thanks for everyone's input :)

• 1 year later...

I know it is old tread, but i would like to bump it with some info for future reference. Times move on and in 2020 we can get "magic boxes" from our Russian friends at https://all4swap.ru/product/spd

These are truly amazing, you basically tap in between speed signal from ANY speed sensor and your speedo or rpm signal and your rpm counter (resistor on rpm gauge must be bypassed) and then you start car, open box and click button until your speedo/rpm starts showing proper values.Work on basically any 1uzfe or 1jz/2jz conversion to any car you wish. I just finished connecting 2 of them for my 1uzfe vvti Supra and it works like a dream :) Owner of shop is Yury Baranov on Facebook, you can also get them from Phoenix Engine Management (Chris) in UK. Chris made my wiring (i sent my 1uz loom and orange/grey plug to him and he sent back plug and play loom back to me). Both very communicative and helpful.

Black/White wire behind speedo cluster - cut it. RPM in cable from Yury box connect to loom side, red to IG+, black to G and RPM out wire to IG- (IG+, G and IG- are at back of cluster with screws in them). All written on the back of cluster. You also need to take off RPM dial and bypass resistor.

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/n-a-tach-resistor-bypass.544909/

I know it is old tread, but i would like to bump it with some info for future reference. Times move on and in 2020 we can get "magic boxes" from our Russian friends at https://all4swap.ru/product/spd

These are truly amazing, you basically tap in between speed signal from ANY speed sensor and your speedo or rpm signal and your rpm counter (resistor on rpm gauge must be bypassed) and then you start car, open box and click button until your speedo/rpm starts showing proper values.Work on basically any 1uzfe or 1jz/2jz conversion to any car you wish. I just finished connecting 2 of them for my 1uzfe vvti Supra and it works like a dream :) Owner of shop is Yury Baranov on Facebook, you can also get them from Phoenix Engine Management (Chris) in UK. Chris made my wiring (i sent my 1uz loom and orange/grey plug to him and he sent back plug and play loom back to me). Both very communicative and helpful.

Nice, thanks Konrad.