Here Goes.....Jonny's TT shell restoration / big build time

jonny mac

had josh in with his welder to fill the holes on the body into the new pannel

image122 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image123 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

also had the trans tunnel mount correctly repaired by him

it was all red oxide primered and then sealed up both inside and outside

image124 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

another very important part for me was the steering rack boot, this was missing when i collected the car and the previous owner didn't reply when i'd asked him if he still had it

so i had to buy one, this came from somewhere far away in the other side of europe :D

image125 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

made a start at the brake pipes and fuel pipes, added an extra join along the floor

image126 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

since the front pannel was missing and the old owner had no clue what he'd done with it...i had to go to toyota AGAIN...ouch.....yet again more parts that shouldn't have been touched/removed

image127 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

yet again, previous loom had been cut with snips so it was f**ked and the bonnet cable was half removed/also siezed stiff so i had to cut my loses

image128 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

loom ran through the engine bay and rubber grommets pushed into the holes in the wings to seal them shut

purchased 2 bonnet catches also

image129 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i thought i was making good progress now but realised i was missing the 2 bonnet hooks, of course i spend more of my time trying to find the awkward parts that nobody sells

bonnet had to come back off because again because a nice surprise from the pervious owner, 2 broken bolts left in the threaded holes on the body

drilled them out, couldn't retap them so ended up using stainless steel rivnuts and stainless bolts on the body which work perfectly

holes painted before clamping these in, also put lots of grease on them prior to install to prevent any rusting in future on the body

image130 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

image131 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

happy now i have a working bonnet cable and latches :D

image132 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

last part of the chassis work being done, ground back to bare metal above exhaust backbox location

then covered in metalmorphosis rust converter and left overnight

image133 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

then red oxide, then any seam sealer goes on, then stone chip, then matt black over the top

had to use stainless rivnuts and stainless m6 bolts on the holes for exhaust backbox mount bracket as they all broke off,

image134 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

so glad that toyota haven't discontinued these handbrake T bars haha

image135 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

handbrake temp setup, stainless m6 bolts used on the brackets to hold cables in, one bolt had to be drilled out as I was left a nice surprise snapped off in the hole by previous keeper

image136 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

prop on also just now, the fuel and brake pipes are complete, green tie wraps show fuel feed and red for return, just makes it a little easier in future for identifying the pipes

image137 by Jonny McIntosh, on Flickr

i have also finished all of the painting underneath the car, it only leaves the rear arches to tidy up next

the steering column was also put in so i can move the shell around now since my rubber seal arrived for the steering column

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well it's 2019 and I'm keen to get started on the car once the warmer weather comes back in

all I've really been doing lately is parts collecting

managed to find a pair of oem plastic aero side skirts which is awesome!

clutch pedal has been assembled and is ready to go in

• 4 weeks later...

clutch pedal came from Toyota Arnold clark Aberdeen, I can supply the list of part numbers if you need, there are loads

it's likely easier to buy from a seller on ebay as there are a few guys on there selling full kits cheaper than I paid for Toyota Aberdeen from memory

all my interior is going back in the car in a few weeks time, i'm currently waiting on one of the last few brand new oem Toyota heater matrix's arriving

• 2 years later...

bought a 2jz gte engine which turned out to be a write off basically, head was badly scored from oil stavation, crank was in a poor state as woodruf key was worn and flopping around, kind of wrote the whole project off for me as it was an expensive loss. seller blocked me after asking for a refund etc. the usual.

Edited by jonny mac (see edit history)

On 11/23/2018 at 1:00 PM, jonny mac said:

ok, sure I can get that written up, I know so far I have 2 sets of dash plastic prefacelift, 2 sets of seat belts, 2 sets of door cards, 2 full plastic rear interior trims, 2 carpets, 2 arm rests, 2 glove box sets

i'll get a list up later

How much for door cards if they are in mint condition 

• 7 months later...

i sold the vehicle, can a moderator delete this thread please.

i've purchased another car now and wil start a build thread about it once i've done some work on it

treated myself to a proper spec supra tt6, no more messing around tryin to build a supra out of 2nd hand parts.  After all the hassle and stuff i had with this shell i decided to just cut my losses and move on. There wasn't much point in going further.

this car is now on route to america.

so i'm just moving forward and bought myself a new tt6 so no hassle of building from scratch etc.

19 hours ago, jonny mac said:

no more messing around tryin to build a supra out of 2nd hand parts.  After all the hassle and stuff i had with this shell i decided to just cut my losses and move on. There wasn't much point in going further.

Sorry about that mate, but its also common sense. Also a great wake up call for people thinking in 2021 you can make a Supra on the cheap. Those days are long gone

• Like 2