The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"Standing ovation" redefined

Chris Wilson

A Labour front bencher has insisted that a general strike is not party policy, after an MP won a standing ovation by advocating a nationwide walk-out to topple the Government.

Crewe and Nantwich MP Laura Smith said Labour should join with trade unions to mount a general strike if Prime Minister Theresa May refused to call a general election.

Shadow justice secretary Richard Burgon was among those filmed rising to their feet to applaud Ms Smith’s demand.

He later said he had not made a standing ovation but merely risen to his feet and clapped.

So there we are, it's meaning has been amended ;)

He should have said he stood up to have a stretch, and his hands came together accidentally.

Oh what are Labour doing? The Tories are too busy having a civil war about Brexit to do much else. This could have been Labour's chance to shine, but instead they've got their own big internal problems, and can't decide what their own version of Brexit would look like. It seems that UK politics is like a boxing match where both boxers are on the ropes.

Labour have agreed at their conference to not leave any option off the table regarding Brexit (seat on the fence, anyone?). But if they've got something to say or propose, they'd best hurry up. It's happening in March next year.

No one really dares to be different, almost like they both keep quite quiet and just hope/rely on the others making mistakes to become unpopular rather than trying to make themselves popular.

May be there is little positive to promote, so by keeping quiet you maximise your chances, I don't know, I steer clear of politics because of this sort of thing, spin, not straight answers/talkers, just party politics....media doesn't help.

Haha, tbh I dont think based on Chris' previous political posts, that anything Corbyn and his ilk do is going to go down well with him regardless :)

I personally think this is the worst position this country has ever been in politically, poor gov, poor opposition and poor direction for this country generally.

Edited by Bobbeh
poor english! (see edit history)

Haha, tbh I dont think based on Chris' previous political posts, that anything Corbyn and his ilk do is going to go down well with him regardless :)

I personally think this is worse position this country has ever been in politically, poor gov, poor opposition and poor direction for this country generally.

Agreed

I personally think this is the worst position this country has ever been in politically, poor gov, poor opposition and poor direction for this country generally.

Not even close :D income inequality is at a 30-year low, unemployment is at a 42-year low and disposable income is at an all-time high.

I'm pretty sure Harold Wilson was the worst thing in politics (in recent times anyway), causing inflation to rise to 25% and begging the IMF for a bailout, throwing the country into turmoil. Now if Labour would just do us all a favour and eff-off, we could finally get some civilised conversations and debates in parliament.

unemployment is at a 42-year low

Depends how you rate the jobs there. They're off the unemployment books sure... but what people are 'working' as.. a whole other debate. (one which I cannot be bothered to have either)

Haha, yes Im sure you can go back to victorian times too, I meant the feeling generally about political choice mainly, its either hard right, hard left and not much else... and not many political heavy weights anymore. The Brexit debacle + fallout is causing the political system to just become a mess.. its entertaining to witness as a historian, but not good for the country, unless perhaps another party comes out of the woodwork.

Theres never civilised debate regardless of who is in power, as Scooter says, no one is brave enough to say things different or radically new, thinking outside the status quo as it is out of fear of being called unelectable.

Depends how you rate the jobs there. They're off the unemployment books sure... but what people are 'working' as.. a whole other debate. (one which I cannot be bothered to have either)

Haha, yes Im sure you can go back to victorian times too, I meant the feeling generally about political choice mainly, its either hard right, hard left and not much else... and not many political heavy weights anymore. The Brexit debacle + fallout is causing the political system to just become a mess.. its entertaining to witness as a historian, but not good for the country, unless perhaps another party comes out of the woodwork.

Theres never civilised debate regardless of who is in power, as Scooter says, no one is brave enough to say things different or radically new, thinking outside the status quo as it is out of fear of being called unelectable.

I may ruffle some feathers here, but we need a Trump.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the guy, he seems to have no common sense and they should block his internet access. But that being said, the majority of Americans love him and I can't see a way he won't get a second term, he has radically improved the country in a very short period of time, mainly down to the fact he just doesn't give a toss about processes and treading carefully around people, he is doing everything he promised he would do (bar the wall, what was he thinking on that one?!) and Americans love him for it.

I know where you're coming from with that sentiment, and you may be right in principle, someone from a different background brings its merits of course, playing devils advocate, 'radically improved the country'? - by short term tax cuts - I think it remains to be seen. GW Bush did similar when he got elected but I don't hear anyone calling him an economic genius - similar insular looking foreign policy too until 9/11 happened then he had to reach back out to the world and change his tone. I think for Trump, its way to early too assess his impact and I'm not just saying that because I don't like the guy.

The joys of politics :)