The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra now off the road for winter

AJI

I figured its better to add to an old thread than start a new topic on the same old. Things have moved on in the last 13 years though, I'd presume there are many more low annual mileage cars than there were back then and with that increasingly there will come the temptation to lay those cars up over winter to assist in their preservation and also save a few pennies on road tax when the car is unlikely to be driven anyway.

The rather sad future for Mk4 Supras all over the World will be ever towards garage queens par excellence and this side of the 40th birthday when road tax exemption will beckon it'd be natural to expect fewer will wants to spend high £'s mile on road tax across a full year tax period? Maybe this will end up with some very nice examples coming up for sale in years to come as people tire of having the space dedicated to a car that largely isn't used and decide instead to cash in.

Seems to have some examples coming out of the woodwork right now as the prices have risen to the point no one bats an eyelid at £25-£30K asking prices and so some laid up ones are being put up for sale.

I still tax and insure both of mine and do maybe 3-5K miles per annum in both but it has been reducing these last few years. I contemplate respraying and general new trim tidying but then I think the more I spent the less I'd be inclined to drive it and it would drift towards garage queen, so putting up with the stone chips, tatty alloys etc and just enjoying driving them still.

Might take one off the road for 6 months to give it a deep clean/inspection full service etc I have loads of jobs to do just seem to lack the time in recent years.

In Ireland my 2 Supras are declared off the road for the winter but still keep NCT/MOT up to date and have them both fully insured at an agreed value. Tax is the expensive cost in Ireland being almost 500e each for 3 months of 1500e each for the year :( I will probably end up taxing one of them when the withdrawal symptoms get too much just to have it ready incase we get some sunshine :) Between the Supras and the GTR a tax bill of almost 5k per annum just doesn't make sense for weekend cars so I usually only have one on the road at a time even in the Summer!