The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SPEEDING - BEEN LUCKY FOR 15 YEARS - BUT no MORE.

herbiemercman

What happens if your going x amount over the limit ? you have to go to court, does the fine then become

linked to what you earn ?

I'm reading the minimum fine is £100 + 3 points, that all goes out

the window if your summoned to court.

Here's the guidelines for the UK, scroll down the page to below speed enforcement

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

It’ll then go on your earnings as it’s no longer a fixed penalty.

Edited by Burna (see edit history)

Hasn't a chap in Range Rover just been locked up for this, perverting the course of justice

Couple of issues that made it worse for him. 1) He was giving the finger. 2) He lied about the whereabouts of the car to try and remove the device first.

If he'd just fessed up it wouldn't have been so bad I reckon.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/range-rover-driver-8-months-jail-laser-jammer/

Sounds like we all need one of these and the police with their scameras can go f#$k themselves.

https://www.sasmobile.co.uk/newsarticle/police-laser-jammer-fitted

Nearly bought one years ago, but not worth the risk if the catch you with one fitted. They know when it jams the laser.

- - - Updated - - -

Couple of issues that made it worse for him. 1) He was giving the finger. 2) He lied about the whereabouts of the car to try and remove the device first.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/range-rover-driver-8-months-jail-laser-jammer/

F*ck the police :D

Still very harsh indeed considering some of the recent other far worse cases in the news that have only got a couple of years.

Still very harsh indeed considering some of the recent other far worse cases in the news that have only got a couple of years.

this is the thing with the law, sometimes the (normally law abiding) masses type are hit harder than the criminal element, because they want to keep us in line and know the repeat offenders don't care and/or they (know to) get better counsel/advice. London riots, bottle of water theft goes to Jail - habitual burglar spared jail.

I think he was let off too lightly. He earns approx £130,000 a week for gods sake and only got a 20 month ban.

He crashed into other cars, he was lucky he didn't kill someone. You know exactly what you are doing when you drink and drive, ban for life, attempted manslaughter.

I remember being annoyed like this when I got a TS10 (red light) offence when I was 19 and got pissed off that I spend all the money on tax and insurance and what not to try and be a law abiding citizen only to be given the middle finger because of a mistake. However, once the time passes you have to realise that the rules are there for everyone and you know they're there and you've broken them.

The only thing I would say on speeding is that I definitely would not like most drivers in this country to be free to drive as fast as they like as half of them can't even drive safely at 20mph let alone 120mph! But I feel like most people in this group are competent enough drivers to be able to drive at speed safely without putting themselves or any other road users in danger. I personally would like to see more drivers convicted of dangerous driving rather than just plain speed as it's completely contextual. 100mph on a straight road with no one around for miles for instance is a hell of a lot safer than doing 70mph on a busy motorway, but who would get the conviction.....

I personally would like to see more drivers convicted of dangerous driving rather than just plain speed as it's completely contextual. 100mph on a straight road with no one around for miles for instance is a hell of a lot safer than doing 70mph on a busy motorway, but who would get the conviction.....

I agree with this, but we don't have any police.

Hi Shane, I bought the big Merc new, it is a 7 seater, AMG 285 BHP, i have put 255,000 miles on it and it is the same as it was when i bought it in 1997, 36 MPG and still hits 130 no problem, it just takes longer than the Supra to get there. I have IOM plates on it and they used to work with the Gatso, but not with the "sniper vans". Herbie.

I got caught by a mobile van on Snake Pass in Feb 2015 in my Z4 Coupe. There is a long straight just along from the Ladybower and I was carrying speed when I suddenly noticed the mobile van. Like you, rather than slam on to try and scrub off speed and potentially create a situation, I just took it full bore. Unfortunately when the NIP came it transpired they had done me at 81mph. I then realised the seriousness as Snake Pass is a 50mph zone these days and not national. It has been so for a while now in all fairness. I don't believe it was dangerous given the road, visibility and conditions, but was clearly very much illegal.

I was 'invited' to Derbyshire court and turned up early, suited and booted and with a detailed and respectful witness statement and a dossier full docs I felt were relevant. Clean license, proof of max NCB, proof of NCB on second car, recent MOT and full service receipt with clean bill of health (just to demonstrate I properly maintain my cars), a client testimonial talking about my integrity (received prior to the incident) and a weather report for the day (it was dry and sunny). I was the first person at the courtroom, but unfortuately as my surname is a 'W' I was almost at the end of the list (like being back at school!). As I was early however they saw me first. The judge was hardly impressed but gave me five points and a fine which I thought was very reasonable. When I came out of the court room other people were arriving. Most were dressed in trackies and trainers and a number were pretending they didn't speak English to the court clerk. It's only a simple thing, but I think showing proper respect is a good start... It had a big effect on me and made me much more aware of my speed on back roads. I was glad this year when February came around as within another twelve months it would be off my license and I could put it behind me...

Unfortunately I may be in hot water again however. I picked my Supra TT up from Falmouth last week on Wednesday and drove it back to Manchester. The journey home was miserable. Miles of 50mph average speed zones. Multiple variable speed zones, which despite the lack of traffic, seemed to be randomly switching between 40, 50, 60 and national. There was even a stretch of 30mph average speed zone on the motorway at Birmingham. After a long journey I then found that the M6 was closed entirely at Stafford and four lanes of traffic were condensed into one lane for miles and mile and miles. Gridlock. Finally the entire motorway was diverted through Stafford town centre to rejoin the M6 further up. I was stuck in that for hours. Then was 30 miles of 50mph speed zone leading up to Knutsford. An unfamiliar 400bhp Supra with no cruise control does not make for an easy companion through so many average speed zones. I was wary in the 50 zones as I wasn't used to the car and found myself being tailgated or overtaken by impatient artics at points. By the time I was almost home to Manchester it was 2am. They have added a new 50mph average speed zone to the M56 near the airport in the last week or two (I now realise). Unfortunately I missed the initial 50mph sign and there was no other traffic around me to use as a compator, so it was approaching the second set of cameras that I realised it wasn't national and that I was still carrying motorway speeds in a 50. I have been under a cloud since last week worrying about it and still am. It was a completely honest mistake on a deserted motorway, but if my speed was in the seventies it is likely to be a court appearance by default. Although my prior offence is no longer valid as three years have passed, it is still on my record, so I cannot imagine a judge being sanguine in this event. Time will tell.

From my thread it is looking like most of us are responsible "petrol heads" so we value our licences, we can also see that this can be taken away by present day technology, and the ease of the "Weisel Law", just making money. Yes there are speed limits, and rightly so, it's a road safety guide,IMO, however it will never cover the pricks who abuse the law and common sense,by going to fast in foggy weather,drink driving, drug driving, etc.

My moan is about good drivers, who are being screwed, where the peiople who are catching us know well that 80% of UK motorists can easily creep over the limits and the penalties are a reflection on why and what they are doing.

I quite like the "laser blocker" which a previouse member kindly posted, it is no different to what my IOM number plates used to be, which do not work anymore, are the laser blockers legal or not? my satnav only warns of the Gatso stuff, the sniper vans are lethal and a good earner for the powers that be.

All we can all do from here on in is to look ahead on the road, see if you can spot the sniper, and when you approach a curve/bend hit on the speed limit, nothing else works, and you could soon be walking to work, if you still have a job, being laught at by the minority in the Uk, who get away with this kind of thing. PS: Would the Moderators allow us to start a new selection in the forum for "Petrol Head Moaners Corner". Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

Hi James Junior, I have had 30 years of great motoring in fast cars, i now know my generation have been the lucky ones, what you describe is typical now, and i hate to say it, but, we are nearing the end of an era where "petrol heads" could exist, the future is bleak, and unless you enjoy posing in a, up to know, nice Supra,and spinning the wheels leaving the pub, then may be we will have to "bite the bullit" and see our babbies devalue, bit like fast boats where the lake dries up. Herbie.

Hi Harry, I am not blaming foreigners for me speeding, i am blaming the system we have for their covert ways, and we do have areas in England where the police give a wide berth to imigrants for all sorts of crimes including crimes on our young girls. It's a bit like what scooter said in his post that some people are easy targets. I am not narcistic, but i can be kind and sometimes stupid. Herbie.

From my thread it is looking like most of us are responsible "petrol heads" so we value our licences, we can also see that this can be taken away by present day technology, and the ease of the "Weisel Law", just making money. Yes there are speed limits, and rightly so, it's a road safety guide,IMO, however it will never cover the pricks who abuse the law and common sense,by going to fast in foggy weather,drink driving, drug driving, etc.

My moan is about good drivers, who are being screwed, where the peiople who are catching us know well that 80% of UK motorists can easily creep over the limits and the penalties are a reflection on why and what they are doing.

I quite like the "laser blocker" which a previouse member kindly posted, it is no different to what my IOM number plates used to be, which do not work anymore, are the laser blockers legal or not? my satnav only warns of the Gatso stuff, the sniper vans are lethal and a good earner for the powers that be.

All we can all do from here on in is to look ahead on the road, see if you can spot the sniper, and when you approach a curve/bend hit on the speed limit, nothing else works, and you could soon be walking to work, if you still have a job, being laught at by the minority in the Uk, who get away with this kind of thing. PS: Would the Moderators allow us to start a new selection in the forum for "Petrol Head Moaners Corner". Herbie.

I was discussing the article below with some pals earlier this week. I would suggest against a laser jammer!

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/jail-range-rover-sport-driver-used-laser-jammer-gave-cameras-middle-finger/

It all depends on area and police staff - some are nice some can be d**ks. I consider myself extra lucky so far as couple weeks ago I ended up running from police , unintentionally though. I was doing around 60mph in residential area and when they pulled me over, all I got was warning to slow down. Respect to those policemen, although it was 21:00 in the evening and they probably didn't want to do paperwork, but if they wanted I could have lost my license right there. It's just that when I pulled out on main road I did not notice police markings on a car coming down same direction. I pulled out in front of them and had a little bit of aggressive acceleration, at that point had no intention of racing. Then I went quite fast across double roundabouts which got their attention. In fact I was so quick across those roundabouts, I manage to build quite a gap between me and police car (didnt know at a time) , so I let of the gas and was doing 30. Next time I had quick look in mirrors, the bright headlights were right behind me. I was thinking who is this aggressive driver now trying to challenge me :) , so I was starting to push to shake them off. I was surprised how far they actually let me drive before pulling me over. We crossed 2 more roundabouts after me being in race mode. When they pulled me over it looked like they had fun too as they were oddly smiley and all.

Just be nice to them and better not lie. If anything , they hate that the most.

Edited by Doublefacy (see edit history)