The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PC multiple monitors question

Chris Wilson

I am told that as my motherboard has video ports for VGA, DVI and HDMI I can run two identical 24 inch monitors off it. Each monitor has a VGA port and a DVI port. At the moment it has one monitor connected using a VGA cable. If i buy a male to male DVI-D cable can I hook up a second monitor and have it display different apps on each monitor? OS is Windows 7 64 bit Pro. I used to have a video card in an older XP PC that allowed two monitors to be connected via two VGA cables and that would do what I now want to achieve with this PC. Thanks :) (Ideally having three identical monitors all on the wall next to each other, I'd like to utilise all three, is that possible somehow?).

If your motherboard only supports 2 then 2 is your limit for now.

However if your motherboard supports DVI you should be using that rather than VGA, it's a digital connector so the picture quality will be better than VGA.

Running the VGA monitor for the 2nd monitor will be fine and you'd probably see the difference.

Running apps is just dragging from one screen to another

Sounds easy.... :) Hopefully it will be thanks a lot Ric:)

If I decide to upgrade the motherboard what do you recommend that could utilise all 3 and will I need to check the power supply is up to it? Cheers. I don't want to buy new monitors I re-capped the SMPS in them all so there should be plenty of life left in them. Cheers.

I'm not sure your motherboard will support 3 simultaneous monitors, even if it has 3 video outputs. See here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2923941/displays/how-to-create-an-insane-multiple-monitor-setup-with-three-four-or-more-displays.html

It depends on the specific motherboard.

For 2 monitors, yes you can mix-and-match interfaces, so you can drive one monitor with your DVI port and another monitor with your VGA port. That should work.

If you are happy with you PC's speed you can make use of USB to VGA adapters to add extra displays. As mentioned, just because there is a port there doesnt mean you can use it for sure.

If you could find out what motherboard you have it would be easy to find its capabilities.

I am sure you would have already read it but just in case :-

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
  2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
  3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz or 2560x1600@60Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4a version.
  4. Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
  5. Maximum shared memory of 512MB

I am sure you would have already read it but just in case :-

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
  2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
  3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz or 2560x1600@60Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4a version.
  4. Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
  5. Maximum shared memory of 512MB

So I have assumed one monitor VGA to VGA and one monitor DVI to DVI would work? As none of the 3 monitors have HDMI i am stuck with just two unless I could use a USB to whatever adaptor on the third? Thanks, I think I have understanding now ;)

If you are playing HD games then yes, if you are running standard apps then no. I have used them many times without issue but each to their own.

Maybe they've got better. We tried one 5 years ago just for a general web dev Windows environment. It was horribly slow to refresh, drag windows etc at 1080P.