The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New GR in jap mags

Supra-love

What’s the point in a new supra if it has a BMW engine. May as well not bother

Presumably you also dislike the Pagani Zonda, because it uses an old Mercedes engine? :D

Cars are becoming more expensive to develop, and we will see much more tech and product sharing across brands.

For me a straight six is a massive plus point, and if it has to be bought in then at least it is being done so from another great Manufacturer. As with the GT86/BRZ, perhaps Toyota will contribute to the design of this engine somehow (Toyota head?)

I'd much rather a bmw straight six than a toyota v6.

This amused me:

As a benchmark, Tomoyama has brought his personal 1997 Supra, tuned to 600 hp, into the Toyota executive parking lot. The Supra makes so much noise compared to most executives’ cars that the parking attendant tried to throw him out of the lot, determining that Tomoyama was a youthful imposter. Now, Tomoyama said: “He bows very deeply to me.”

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-plotting-next-generation-of-sports-cars/

If it's good enough for Rolls Royce then it's good enough for Toyota! :D

I understand that from a purist point of view a Toyota engine should be in a Toyota car, but from a cost perspective and the likely sales volume that Toyota must be envisaging, it won't be worth developing a new engine.

McLaren are the same all the latest models even the P1 is a Nissan vrh35l engine they bought the rights to and modified it

I've seen the GT86/BRZ mentioned a few times in this thread, I have one so can input on the Subaru FA20 flat four boxer engine. It works well in the GT86/BRZ due to it lower centre of gravity. I wouldn't change it personally as its a very tuneable engine.

I wasn't keen at first on the BMW engine in the new supra, but if it's straight six and can offer good tuning potential I think it could work well :).

Didn't know that, I knew Nissan has a lot of crossover with Renault but not Nissan engines to McLaren!

Whilst this is true but so loose in its resemblance now really its a McLaren/Ricardo design. Only thing that bares any resemblance these days is they are both a 93mm bore, everything else is a brand new design.

Didn't know that, I knew Nissan has a lot of crossover with Renault but not Nissan engines to McLaren!

I was surprised when I read about it, it was the engine Nissan used in there r390 gt1 , but as mike has said as time has gone on they have modified the design but that’s where it started.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Presumably you also dislike the Pagani Zonda, because it uses an old Mercedes engine? :D

Cars are becoming more expensive to develop, and we will see much more tech and product sharing across brands.

For me a straight six is a massive plus point, and if it has to be bought in then at least it is being done so from another great Manufacturer. As with the GT86/BRZ, perhaps Toyota will contribute to the design of this engine somehow (Toyota head?)

I'd much rather a bmw straight six than a toyota v6.

No I dislike pagans because it’s Italian :D

On a serious note though I’d be more happy if it was a bmw straight 6 but at least some alteration to it by Toyota, like you said, maybe a head or something.

The N54 and newer straight 6 bmw engines are pretty much the only petrol turbo I6's from the factory these days that have really good tuning potential, compared to our 2J's of yesteryear. It might not say 3JZ on it, but the newer bmw engines do hammer when you strap a single turbo on them using stock internals (sounds familiar)

From what I've seen with them first hand, I would be pretty happy to see something similar being used in this new release. Even the 1JZ/2JZ's weren't made solely by toyota, design & engineering que's were taken from Yamaha and the Germans previously.

I am not a fan of any direct injection engine ,they are too complex and present a tuning nightmare ; very high pressure fuel with complex injection timings and super short duration control ,anything at high pressure is difficult to deal with , any tuner cant alter the parameters without knowledge of the original design criteria -they dont have any

Carbon build up is a given and another step backwards ,higher compression is counter productive with any boost increases ,all in all great engines for efficiency and emissions but a mare if chasing power , in a performance car who is bothered about MPG and emissions ? -

Old school for me ; shove in air , shove in fuel and light it up ....

The more complex you make it ,the harder it gets

I am not a fan of any direct injection engine ,they are too complex and present a tuning nightmare ; very high pressure fuel with complex injection timings and super short duration control ,anything at high pressure is difficult to deal with , any tuner cant alter the parameters without knowledge of the original design criteria -they dont have any

Carbon build up is a given and another step backwards ,higher compression is counter productive with any boost increases ,all in all great engines for efficiency and emissions but a mare if chasing power , in a performance car who is bothered about MPG and emissions ? -

Old school for me ; shove in air , shove in fuel and light it up ....

The more complex you make it ,the harder it gets

Problems you have mentioned have already been resolved in the tuning sphere for DI engines.