The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bit more of an update on the "affordable" single turbo kits

TBDevelopments

Surely can't be that hard given how far technology and turbos etc have progressed since 1995 to make a reliable affordable na t kit.

Why people focus on the tt model when bpu is fairly decent as is and there already are plethora of kits already out and there are thousands of na owners screaming for a kit makes no sense to me.

Didn't mean to take anything away from your kit just saying if you are doing the venture to make money you d make a ton more making a na t kit I d have expected.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it was the amuse that used an oem manifold and adaptor like i've adapted.

well once i can test and prove this internal wastegate modifications work fine like i think they will it gives me a great bolt on turbocharger, all i need to do is the NA manifold fitment

Anyway had a few mins spare so started working on the coolant and oil lines. This is what you'll expect :)

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/23550152_1941668679429765_6635752343691704734_o.jpg?oh=64e5c6e682e1a64261d36475f087cba2&oe=5A672129

there are thousands of na owners screaming for a kit makes no sense to me.

Didn't mean to take anything away from your kit just saying if you are doing the venture to make money you d make a ton more making a na t kit I d have expected.

Your own statement kind of answers your initial question. Kits carry development costs and serious time input. n/a owners want everything cheap, ridiculously cheap.

So how is a business going to make a 'ton of money' from people that aren't prepared to spend any?

An N/A car will require even more spending just to run this simple kit. Unfortunately from a financial perspective you are better off selling up and moving onto a turbo car, which is what alot have done.

Your own statement kind of answers your initial question. Kits carry development costs and serious time input. n/a owners want everything cheap, ridiculously cheap.

So how is a business going to make a 'ton of money' from people that aren't prepared to spend any?

An N/A car will require even more spending just to run this simple kit. Unfortunately from a financial perspective you are better off selling up and moving onto a turbo car, which is what alot have done.

I kinda agree I suppose. I actually looked at na t kits after my statement and to be fair they are cheaper than I had thought they were (been a while since I last checked).

not sure yet for the setup kind of price. Remember the turbo alone is typically £1500+ in the UK.

anyway a few more developments with the prototype of the coolant and oil drain.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23561426_1942959959300637_1852179747528917220_n.jpg?oh=70db42236da6599a854e70a61875e27c&oe=5A8CAC72

Like always, open to suggestions and constructive criticism

Tim

TB Developments

Edited by TBDevelopments (see edit history)

Putting my annoyance that you have beaten me to this solution ;) aside, I see one big flaw but it's easily rectified at no real cost. Toyota split the high nickel content iron manifold with the stainless flexible bellows to allow the considerable lengthwise expansion and contraction of both manifold and head. You have a bridge in the backplate of your manifold that negates this! Put a 3mm or so slot in it so each half is separate! Great solution, nice and simple. A similar sort of adaptor would allow two small wastegated turbos for better spool still, obviously none sequential though. Good luck, nice work!

Putting my annoyance that you have beaten me to this solution ;) aside, I see one big flaw but it's easily rectified at no real cost. Toyota split the high nickel content iron manifold with the stainless flexible bellows to allow the considerable lengthwise expansion and contraction of both manifold and head. You have a bridge in the backplate of your manifold that negates this! Put a 3mm or so slot in it so each half is separate! Great solution, nice and simple. A similar sort of adaptor would allow two small wastegated turbos for better spool still, obviously none sequential though. Good luck, nice work!

Keeping it twin but fast spooling would also be very interesting!

hey guys,

the large brace in the back is to give the tubular some support against cracking. To be honest i was tempted on a testbed version to try it with and without the flexi in the oem cast manifold purely for experimenting with sound. The other thing to remember is yes the manifold is there with a flexi setup but even in OEM design apart from movement on the clamped studs/nuts there is zero free movement of the system after the turbocharger flanges anyway.

I did think of doing a twin turbo system but after researching into what guys are doing with garrett turbos on the rb26 engines it appears that a modern generation small single is producing more torque and power, but also faster spool than 2 smaller sized twins. The other downside to the twin design is, well its 2 turbos so twice the costing of everything..

Scouring back through dynos etc it appears the larger turbocharger to what i plan to use the GT3582r was spooling extremely fast anyway. Under 3000rpm there was zero effects on power and torque compared to Jspec OEM in sequential mode but nothing but big gains after 3000rpm. But also giving a linear power band instead of the push then large kick the OEM produces.

Chris i'd love to take all the credit for this idea but i have openly nicked the design from the long time discontinued power house amuse setup that used a HKS gt30r turbo to very good success. I'm just doing my own take on this using much thicker stainless manifold and redesign to the piping layouts to bring it more inline with a Toyota produced system and using modern turbocharger designs. Remember because these are modular the new G series of turbos are out shortly from garrett as well, so as long as i can get the internal wastegate housings for that turbine wheel its a viable option.

if not they will 100% fit onto the Street Max kit i'm doing also (will be posting pictures once its back from porting), But this kit also gives the options for using things like borg (slightly different water pipes needed) or even the precision range of turbochargers. Although Garrett will be my main option and flagship recommendation for purchase.

Tim

TB Developments

While waiting for parts for the customer cars i managed to get a start on the Heat shield prototype.

this is the test piece but the finished items will be mirror polished or a matt glass blasted effect.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23843417_1945666135696686_7474511228659199291_n.jpg?oh=093ed9108720aee154d521849e2a94a2&oe=5A8F87F3

Tim

TB Developments

thanks guys.

no confirmed dates yet but i'm plugging away with it any spare minute i get. The downpipe is done apart from the sheet metal around the wastegate exit, I'm waiting on a CNC metal dolly to be made so i can use that as a tool to repeatedly produce that shape.

apart from measuring up the lines, and then the biggest bit is the wastegate actuator mountings and positioning its basically done. bar the testing.

The other kit, the Street Max, the manifold is off being ported and polished and the wastegate plates are at the CNC shop ready to be cut, so i'll post more information on that kit once the bits come back and i can show something off. But again this will share some similarities to the BPU Max kit, is the oil,coolant line layout, Very similar heat shield etc.

Thanks for looking

Tim

TB Developments

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Street Max Kit, Update

Manifold CNC work and porting work done for the cast manifold used in the street max kit. This is opened up to a 44mm Wastegate. The bolt on piece that goes between this and the wastegate is being CNC'd as we speak :) So pictures to follow

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/28872518_1996493293947303_8129523959113711616_o.jpg?oh=955721691700eb4528ea45b4fb0e47fc&oe=5B3544CE[i/mg]</p><p> [img]https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/29025464_1996493330613966_9098043538242797568_o.jpg?oh=27161c9245098930969ee92598caffc9&oe=5B363ACC[i/mg]</p><p> [img]https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/29027895_1996493380613961_4534085734734233600_o.jpg?oh=0fbc621f50a89ee25218b5798707c220&oe=5B013684

Because these kits are designed to be a OEM Toyota quality i wasn't happy providing a kit with push on water feeds for the Garrett turbo so I've modified some OEM parts that will be included in the Turbo kits, but these are on an exchange basis so i can modify the returned ones for the next customer.

i'll probably have these for sale separately for people who want to update another brands turbo kit to these type water feeds, or water removal for that matter.