The mkiv Supra Owners Club

They don't come up very often - TT6 on flebay

rider

it looks tatty inside, it's not the lowest milage, i can't see the surprise?

The interior looked spot on to me! No bling, no painted dash, no wrapped dash, and no holes. Even the seat cushions didn't have the usual crimp and crush effect. Think you must have been looking at a different car.

As for the mileage, 94k on a 1993 car doesn't suggest its been a reps car at any time in its lifetime. Anyone who buys one of those many 40k milers out there and believes it without stacks of documented verification is living on a hope and a prayer.

The interior looked spot on to me! No bling, no painted dash, no wrapped dash, and no holes. Even the seat cushions didn't have the usual crimp and crush effect. Think you must have been looking at a different car.

As for the mileage, 94k on a 1993 car doesn't suggest its been a reps car at any time in its lifetime. Anyone who buys one of those many 40k milers out there and believes it without stacks of documented verification is living on a hope and a prayer.

I have to agree, the interior looks fairly tidy and would probably come up well with a good clean!

Perhaps we have different versions of spot on.

Faded seats

Faded speaker covers

Generally unclean (if somebody is selling least give it a clean)

Needs new floormats

Scratched up centre console panels

Scratched up seat plastics

worn through steering wheel and gear nob and handbrake lever

Yeah it might be original but it's in no way nice inside IMO.

It certainly does need a bit of love, the seller hasn't made much of an effort!

Perhaps we have different versions of spot on.

Faded seats

Faded speaker covers

Generally unclean (if somebody is selling least give it a clean)

Needs new floormats

Scratched up centre console panels

Scratched up seat plastics

worn through steering wheel and gear nob and handbrake lever

Yeah it might be original but it's in no way nice inside IMO.

Sure, by all means! I tend to crawl over cars from nose to tail, so some of the following may seem critical - but if there is anyone here considering viewing it, the info may be useful.

All of the following are just my observations and opinions, mind. First, a few general things:

- Yes, it's filthy. Not just dusty and dirty, but 'been parked under trees for a while' filthy. All the rubbers, channels and the like have plenty of debris in them. No huge issue, mind.

- A lot of the exterior seals/trim pieces are tired. Both lower window trim pieces are lifting away, while the window rubber on the hatch is similarly looking very tired. The rear hatch itself has plenty of rust butting up against the lower edge of the glass; it all needs to come apart, be rubbed down and repainted

- The paint on the roof has several marks in it, so to be perfect it'd need painting

- There are some minor dings and dents to both flanks

- The paint on the nearside rear is extremely thin over the body's lines (rubbed through in places). That corner also appears to have received paint at some point, without the glass being removed, although it could just be that the lacquer is giving up the ghost and flaking away from edge slightly.

- There are other areas of thin paint on the car, but otherwise it is sound and solid

- Underneath, it's all relatively clean - although there is much light surface rust, as you'd expect

- The glass is all in good order

- The headlights are cloudy and slightly UV damaged, but a kit would probably sort 'em out, but the rubber seals around them look misaligned

- The wheels have been refurbished and are all shod in quality tyres with plenty of tread

- All four discs are heavily lipped

- The exhaust system is in good order and is a very quiet aftermarket system

- The interior is very worn in places; the gear knob is ruined, the handbrake tired, the steering wheel quite worn, and many of the dash panels are damaged (i.e. flaking top coat, or chips). Also smells quite old and well used...

- Doors open and shut easily, as does the tail gate - but it needs new gas struts

The good (outside of some of the points above):

- The engine was warm when I arrived (not ominously so, I think he'd just gone over to make sure it would still start), but it starts and runs extremely well. It's quiet, the fluids are clean, and there are zero ominous noises. The turbochargers whistle in quite a pronounced fashion when spooled up, which may be common, but it pulled very well and didn't stumble or stutter under load. Idled perfectly, even when hot, and restarted easily.

- The gear change is pretty awful, but I understand that's par for the course for an older V160 that's not been titivated. No odd noises, apart from a very light, almost inaudible chatter from the clutch release bearing or input shaft (I think). It has had a recent clutch and more, however

- It is very quiet on the move, with only an intermittent light knock from the underside during initial acceleration. Probably just something slightly adrift. No other rattles or odd noises.

- It rides very firmly over bumps and hits 'em hard, which made me wonder whether the suspension was OEM or (alternatively) all four dampers need renewing.

- Stops okay, seemingly tracks straight (I didn't drive it, just rode in it).

- The A/C and everything else works - windows, electric mirrors, radio, instrumentation, etc.

- No whines from the diff or the rest of the underside

- It's a black twin-turbo Supra with a manual! What more could you wish for...

The question marks:

- It's claimed to have an odometer that reads in KM. However, our test run was about 4.6 miles - during which the odo racked up five units. This suggests, to me, that it's in fact reading in miles - and that the car's current mileage is higher than the claimed 91,000 (currently indicating 149,693). This would correlate with the seemingly excessive interior wear in places. I may be incorrect in this respect, though.

- Adding to the above question mark is the fact that there is very little history with the car - just a few invoices for parts, some MOTs (all in miles) and... that's about it. It is clear on all history check fronts in the UK, but I cannot find out any more about the car prior to its importation - as it was brought over in '99, IIRC (Car VX drew a blank for this reason). Consequently, establishing whether its indicated mileage bears any resemblance to its true mileage is very difficult.

- The VIN all appears to tally with the car's specification, and Car VX could tell me that it was a black manual Supra, but some UK sites list it as an N/A manual - although I'm pretty sure it is an original TT manual car. Just a heads-up, though, for anyone who spots an NA-style listing somewhere for it and panics.

- The seller bought the car off a friend for a low price, and didn't update the V5C for ages, and seemingly their plan was to flip the car - but they ended up using it and doing a few odd jobs to it. It's since been moved into their name so sits present and correct.

- It also needs a cam belt and water pump, but that is included. No real biggie.

I did like the car, and it seemed pretty honest and straight otherwise, and it's certainly a good candidate for someone who's looking for a Supra that they can improve and fettle (although I understand getting some of the trim and exterior bits can now be quite tricky), provided they're not too fussed about its mileage or history.

Certainly doesn't seem excessively expensive for what it is, but I was just looking for something with a bit more history and a verifiable mileage - and, more prominently, a car without many cosmetic issues. Been through too many restoration projects recently to want to start messing around with paint and rust again, especially when it's a black car...

Also, as a footnote, riding in it did make me wonder whether I'd prefer an auto or a Tiptronic version. Yet to try one of those, that said.

Any questions? Just shout!

Good write up that ,it's all age related really and nothing that money and time wont put right but I look at that and in my eyes it's thousands £ to bring it up to standard. Nothing worse than getting there to find the engine warm I would want to hear it from cold and see it, common is valve stem seals especially with that mileage so I expect she puffs when its sat for sometime .

I look at that and in my eyes it's thousands £ to bring it up to standard.

Yea, my thoughts. A solid car and not outrageous money, by any stretch, but I didn't want to pick something up and then have to start throwing money at it to make it look the part. If it had more history, I'd have been a little more willing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.