The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What big front brakes to go for?

ShawnPreece

Ksports definitely offer more clearance than UK calipers so if your current wheels fit with UKs you'll have no issues

Whifbitz actually keep them in stock too, the only place that does and saves the 15+ week wait

I love mine [emoji3]

How much clearance was gained by changing to K-Sports? I have an issue with fouling the caliper slightly as it stands so would like to mitigate that. Changing wheels isn't an option :)

Is anyone running the full set of K-sports? I've been thinking about going front and rear in one go.

I have Ksports front and rear, 8 pot front and 4 pot rear. They were on the car already when I bought it, but if i were to start again i would prefer uk specs if i am honest.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that with the 8 pot fronts you will have to run 19" wheels.

How much clearance was gained by changing to K-Sports? I have an issue with fouling the caliper slightly as it stands so would like to mitigate that. Changing wheels isn't an option :)

I never fitted my UK spec brakes as i didnt want to run a spacer as big as required, i had no chance with my wheels

I have read UK specs stick out around 23mm more than a jspec caliper, and ive worked out my Ksport is around 10/11mm more than a jspec caliper

That figure is based on me having 8mm clearance from jspec caliper to the spoke, once ksports were fitted the wheel did bolt on fully but caught the top and bottom of the caliper very slightly while spinning, so add a few mm for definate clearance

So if its clearance you need they do offer that over UK specs

I have Ksports front and rear, 8 pot front and 4 pot rear. They were on the car already when I bought it, but if i were to start again i would prefer uk specs if i am honest.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that with the 8 pot fronts you will have to run 19" wheels.

Only the 380mm kits need 19s, the 356mm 8 pots work under 18" wheels

I was looking at the 356mm discs to go with the kit, which is about 14". I'd expect that to fit under some 18" wheels, or would I have to have the 330mm kit?

edit: didn't see the answer from Berg so ignore this.

Put some Porterfield Race pads in, and Motul RBF600 or 660 brake fluid, and they will easily cope with anything you will throw at them, trust me ;)

Might well be this but my green supra only has j specs all round and as that will be running decent power I need to upgrade them really and as I have the rear UK's come off Sally (done that on purpose :p ) thought it made sense to use the fronts off her too for a complete set and get some new fronts for Sally (and an excuse to upgrade)

You'll absolutely ruin your car, the read below from Chris Wilson

Get the best pads you can on the rears, beef those up and get some good stuff on the front. You're only doing 1-2 stops so you'll be within the parameters of the setup.

Very interesting read and totally get the point that as its an even pressure applied and the front will work better under less pressure that the rears wont work as well.... just thinking for my type of driving whether it will make as big a difference as it will be just general road use and a few straight line stops from high speeds... it might well make to much difference but thats just what im trying to work out now :)

Another interesting video from motive dvd, it didn't upset that gtr atall. If you are doing it mainly for show shawn you will be fine. Its worth pointing out the amount of US Supra with large front/small rear brake setup for drag is high and has been done for years.

If I was upgrading id be looking at fronts and rears leaning towards a set that was designed for the car, some like AP racing or Brembo but obviously that is ££££!

Never liked oem Supra brake peddle feel either.

Yeah im building it mainly as a show car just with a bit of go for an occasional bit of fun and maybe the odd drag or 2 so initial thoughts was that it would be ok but just gauging how unbalanced it would be from peoples opinions. Especially for my use I suppose I could do abit of trial and error and just try them out and if I dont like them I can switch back :)

p.s. you still got the UK rears? :D

haha I do but looking to put the whole UK setup on the green Supra :p

Thats a great read thanks for the link mate, I know for track use and "proper driving" Id need to fully take this into account but just gauging ow bad it would be from general driving as il admit now im a show queen and dont use it to anywhere near its potential :hide:

I have read UK specs stick out around 23mm more than a jspec caliper, and ive worked out my Ksport is around 10/11mm more than a jspec caliper

That figure is based on me having 8mm clearance from jspec caliper to the spoke, once ksports were fitted the wheel did bolt on fully but caught the top and bottom of the caliper very slightly while spinning, so add a few mm for definate clearance

So if its clearance you need they do offer that over UK specs

Thanks for the measurements mate that sounds perfect :)

Thanks for the advice everyone much appreciated, I know for track use balance would be the law but just gauging what it will be like for me only really doing straight line stops other than general driving :)

Might well be this but my green supra only has j specs all round and as that will be running decent power I need to upgrade them really and as I have the rear UK's come off Sally (done that on purpose :p ) thought it made sense to use the fronts off her too for a complete set and get some new fronts for Sally (and an excuse to upgrade)

That now makes complete sense, go for K-Sports mate and put the UK's on the green one. A large pair of K-Sports would look right on the white one as a show car :thumbs:

I had uk brakes front and rear tried different pads and fluid they was never great changed to ksport front and rear with porterfeild pads and there 100x better

/QUOTE]

Go Performance Friction with your K-Sports and they will be even better mate ;)

That's the problem with UK fronts, no decent pads available, as bunra says get performance friction race pads, 09 or 10 compound, work from cold and minimal bedding in.

Thanks mate yeah its looking like il be going down this route :)

I'd love a set of Ksports on mine or similar, the look of big brakes is lovely. Im never going to track my car etc so it would fully be for looks.

Yeah thats what I was thinking with mine really too, mainly just for looks but should still be good for straight line stopping :)

Never had any problems with the OE UK set up once i'd replaced the old brake fluid

yeah UK's are brilliant the idea of uprating the fronts from UK isnt really performance related its mainly because my other Supra is still on J spec brakes and when complete should be running 650-700bhp at a guess so I need to uprate the brakes on that and on this Supra because iv had to downrate the rear brakes to J Spec I got the UK rears to go on my other Supra so it makes sense to move the whole UK setup onto that supra and get new bigger fronts for this one :)

Hi everyone. I went with 8 pot k Sport on the front with 356mm discs and 4 pot K Sport with 356mm discs on the rear with Ferodo 2500 pads all round and Motul 5.1 brake fluid and Cusco stopper and I think the difference is amazing. Now my supra looks great and has much better braking performance.

I thought the CW pads were meant to be pretty good on UKs?

Depends on how far you push your brakes, some don't, others do beyond what CW fast road pads can cope with. CW race pads use to be Performance Friction, but not for ages now, so no idea what they are currently.

Depends on how far you push your brakes, some don't, others do beyond what CW fast road pads can cope with. CW race pads use to be Performance Friction, but not for ages now, so no idea what they are currently.

I suppose it depends mainly on what the use is I guess.

The race pads I'm assuming will need to be warmed up to get decent braking. Not something you would be wanting for drag racing.

I suppose it depends mainly on what the use is I guess.

The race pads I'm assuming will need to be warmed up to get decent braking. Not something you would be wanting for drag racing.

Not really, my Porterfield Race pads are better with heat in them, but you still get plenty of stopping power from cold, but they are very dusty! :/