The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cant get pulley bolt out

sean17650199

I like that and I double checked and that's the standard size aux belt (sorry if he says that in the video, I watched without sound), only thing I'd say (and I can't work this out 100%) is whether on those really tight ones this method will put excessive load on the water pump/power steering pump pulleys?

Yes, standard size aux belt - I used just the one which I took off and of course then I used brand new one from Dayco :-) I do not think that the load on pulleys is so extreme. Anyway, you don´t do this so often to create some bearing clearance on pulleys.

I really didn´t want to use trick with starter and I also didn´t have any air tool at home, so this method was perfect for me.:cool:

I get the odd one where someone has Loctited the bolt in. Only fix is a BIG rosebud tip on the oxy / acetylene and get the bolt head near red hot AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.... forget blow lamps... Once hot get a socket on it and it will undo. The damper will be scrap, or a time bomb and should be renewed. The bolt should be renewed as well. if you get it hot FAST the heat won't have time to knacker the cam belt or the front oil pump seal. Hence you need a big tip and oxy / acetylene. Have fun ;)

Just wanted to post up some pics of my tool that a friend of a friend made up for us.

They milled the cylinder piece to fit in the pulley recess with holes for the bolts to go through (this stops any bolt bending). The massive stroke of luck with this was that whilst the main hole was obviously made to have a diameter large enough for a 22mm impact socket to go through, by pure luck it isn't large enough to allow the crank bolt to come back through, so once cracked as you undo it the bolts large skirt meets the inside of the tool and the whole pulley is pulled off as well.

A1 Crank pulley tool.jpg

A2 Crank pulley tool.jpg

A3 Crank pulley tool.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Im in inverness, ive been away so not had the chance to do this yet but im going to get the lock tool and will be happy to lend it to people for a shot once im done with it.

/QUOTE]

Sean, I did mine with the starter motor option, which is great for undoing it, however I am convinced I am nowhere near the required torque for doing it back up, though its tight with 18" breaker bar. I used an axle stand and had the breaker bar horizontal on the top, disconnect the coil so it would not start, and a quick turn of the key and it was done. Overall the job was a brezeze, made a quick flywheel puller based on the other pics around, based on a steel bar and 2 M8 bolts.

hey lads, I'm also in Aberdeen, I've always had bother getting these bolts off, my latest resort was to use an inch drive impact gun from my work with a step down to 1/2 drive 22mm impact socket, that fairly got it off but it required the engine to be out the car or the cooling and aircon radiators to be removed as the gun is absolutely massive, it's like a size 12 shoe

I'm currently in the same situ, I had my engine on a pallet at my work and forgot to slacken the crank bolt before taking it home after it was delivered here,

I've tried my snap on impact 1/2 inch gun (which I bought for jobs like this :( ) and it doesn't budge my bolt, I'm now going to take home my colleagues Makita impact 1/2 inch gun as I think it's got a stronger motor

i'll report back with how I get on and maybe add some pics as it could be as simple as a battery gun can do it hopefully!

the other thing I have going for me is the sump is off my engine just now so I could get 3 solid bits of wood against the crankshaft between the block and use that to lock the crank and have a big breaker bar against the bolt

hey lads, I'm also in Aberdeen, I've always had bother getting these bolts off, my latest resort was to use an inch drive impact gun from my work with a step down to 1/2 drive 22mm impact socket, that fairly got it off but it required the engine to be out the car or the cooling and aircon radiators to be removed as the gun is absolutely massive, it's like a size 12 shoe

I'm currently in the same situ, I had my engine on a pallet at my work and forgot to slacken the crank bolt before taking it home after it was delivered here,

I've tried my snap on impact 1/2 inch gun (which I bought for jobs like this :( ) and it doesn't budge my bolt, I'm now going to take home my colleagues Makita impact 1/2 inch gun as I think it's got a stronger motor

i'll report back with how I get on and maybe add some pics as it could be as simple as a battery gun can do it hopefully!

the other thing I have going for me is the sump is off my engine just now so I could get 3 solid bits of wood against the crankshaft between the block and use that to lock the crank and have a big breaker bar against the bolt

Jonny, did you see the post using the pulley belt looking method on youtube, did not like the look of it myself but may get you sorted out.

I've done this before but you need to some how brace the whole engine or stand else you just tip/rotate the whole engine before the nut will give.

I got it off in the end :D

luckily I had been changing from front to rear sumps as my gte engine is from an aristo

while the sump was off and the engine was upside down on the stand I took my opportunity to put a big block of wood along the bottom of the engine block to sump mating face, I used a 30" pry bar against it going through a hole on the starter ring gear and the other side locked aginst my engine stand

then I used my power bar with 22mm socket and a big bit of pipe slipped over the end to crack the nut

that faily locked the crankshaft solid enough :D I had to throw the ring gear in the bin now due to the slight bending of the plate but it worked out good for me in the end as I'm going to use a manual box anyway so don't need the starter ring gear :D