The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New speeding fines

Scooter

You assume people are just speed freaks instead of commuters who travel at speeds they feel are safe.

No assumption, a fair percentage already go faster than most speed limits, if nobody did then we

wouldn't have speed awareness courses, speed cameras, speed humps etc etc

You can go on a speed awareness course for driving too slow.

Oh and I've taught the course before.

But nice try trying to infer I'm a dip$#@!.

But least we all know you're a liar ;)

I can't believe that someone who claims to teach the course has this attitude. When you drive faster you travel further in a shorter period of time. The time it takes you as the driver to make a decision always stays the same. If you're travelling slower, you are giving yourself more time to avoid a potential accident.

And for what it's worth, I wasn't accusing you of being a dipshit. It was a sarcastic statement regarding the fact that I don't break the speed limits, so I have never had to take a course as I'm not breaking the law.

As for the last statement, I'm intrigued. You seem to be taking this personally for some reason.

I can't believe that someone who claims to teach the course has this attitude. When you drive faster you travel further in a shorter period of time. The time it takes you as the driver to make a decision always stays the same. If you're travelling slower, you are giving yourself more time to avoid a potential accident.

And for what it's worth, I wasn't accusing you of being a dipshit. It was a sarcastic statement regarding the fact that I don't break the speed limits, so I have never had to take a course as I'm not breaking the law.

As for the last statement, I'm intrigued. You seem to be taking this personally for some reason.

Taught, past tense.

It's not my attitude either, it's common knowledge.

Speed does not kill, speed does not also cause accidents.

You're right that driving faster gives you less time to react, still not the cause of the accident.

If reaction times were to be considered as the the reason of accidents or danger on the road then the speed limit wouldn't be 70mph on a motorway or the 2 second rule be the acceptable minimal distance to maintain.

If someone was to pull out or change lanes, regardless of doing 70 or 90 if it's too close, speed was not the reason for the accident.

And if you want to get really pedantic, the difference between say 30 mph and 35mph isn't much at all in regards to distance travelled and time.

And as I said, you can on a speed awareness course for driving too slow.

So it wasn't a sarcastic comment, it was aimed at people who speed and you called them dipshits.

I wonder what the accident rate due to speed is in Germany? Seeing as they have no limits in large stretches of the autobahn. Speed isn't the issue, an obvious money grab as per usual. Rather than closing tax loop holes, they punish the motorist/working class, same old story

Speed is never an issue, its that people firstly think they are better drivers than they are and secondly don't anticipate that every other driver may well not do what they are expected to do in certain situations. I've been speeding for almost 40 years and never had a ticket. Everything has its time and its place and if people drive safely at speed with a good nose for PC Panda then fines should be nothing more than an unfortunate anomaly.

Going fast isnt the problem - it's the stopping quick that causes the issues.

In seriousness, as others have said, speed isnt really the issue. It's people's lack of awareness and the incompetence of the majority to actually drive a vehicle. I would say it's likely most of us take pride in the quality of our driving and I know i am pretty much constantly on the ball when in the car. Planning, hazard perception, situational awareness are all things that i notice the generic driver in their stupid, poor vis Nissan Juke are lacking. They have their own little bubble, their own agenda and with that comes selfish and ignorant driving. They don't look around, think about how things are ABOUT to develop.

That...in my opinion is why accidents happen.

Going fast isnt the problem - it's the stopping quick that causes the issues.

In seriousness, as others have said, speed isnt really the issue. It's people's lack of awareness and the incompetence of the majority to actually drive a vehicle. I would say it's likely most of us take pride in the quality of our driving and I know i am pretty much constantly on the ball when in the car. Planning, hazard perception, situational awareness are all things that i notice the generic driver in their stupid, poor vis Nissan Juke are lacking. They have their own little bubble, their own agenda and with that comes selfish and ignorant driving. They don't look around, think about how things are ABOUT to develop.

That...in my opinion is why accidents happen.

Yes correct agreed on all points.