The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What can I do? Potential advice/ideas please

Max5437

Yeah he's who typically does all my work on my Celica so trust his opinion. I'm at work so not easy to trawl but does anyone know off the top of their head if the NA rad is a lot different that a TT, only thinking could replace the rad and if that doesn't fix it then reassess the options again? Or am I being thick haha

You are obviously one of the forum spanner spastics David was talking about. If you say his name three times he will cripple himself further in attempt to fix your car - all free of charge in a bid to boost club spirit.

Not sure I'm getting the reference here, possibly I'm not a mechanic and actually asked for advice on a forum that's helps people, im 21, spent my money this year rebuilding the front end of my celica so sorry if the fact I have never worked on an engine and reached out to people that have makes me a spanner spastic in your book.

Thanks for the advice guys, plan is to get under it and have a look for a split pipe as hope it is that. Current issue is me and my mum deciding on what the best move forward is as I'm reluctant to spend money on the engine if long term there that money could go towards a TT lump. I would rather have the car sat for a bit TBH.

Thanks guys appreciate the help

Man you must of thrashed that engine to make the head go.

*You know your rads on its way out - normal for a car this age

*Smoke came from the bottom - there is a lower rad hose

*If the oil is black or still golden - i say the gasket is still fine, residue on the cap is not an idication all my na's had that.

*Smoke came out of the bonnet - hose?

*Gas residue in the coolant...how do they check that?!

Change the rad, hoses and coolant

Keron sells well priced rads, keron might have hoses, if not...ebay, and you can get a rad cap of keron/ ebay. Stick with a stock bar 1.1, change the rad first Then take it from there. If it is the head, you got a new rad to last another 20 odd years. So bonus.

Personally id give the head gasket ago myself if it comes to it, easy to check if the surface is level or warped, a torch and a metal ruler will tell you.

Man you must of thrashed that engine to make the head go.

*You know your rads on its way out - normal for a car this age

*Smoke came from the bottom - there is a lower rad hose

*If the oil is black or still golden - i say the gasket is still fine, residue on the cap is not an idication all my na's had that.

*Smoke came out of the bonnet - hose?

*Gas residue in the coolant...how do they check that?!

Change the rad, hoses and coolant

Keron sells well priced rads, keron might have hoses, if not...ebay, and you can get a rad cap of keron/ ebay. Stick with a stock bar 1.1, change the rad first Then take it from there. If it is the head, you got a new rad to last another 20 odd years. So bonus.

Personally id give the head gasket ago myself if it comes to it, easy to check if the surface is level or warped, a torch and a metal ruler will tell you.

Honestly That car hasn't been thrashed at all, it is far too sentimental for that, which is why this has come as a shock, but over the past 5 years it has sat for extended periods of time on the drive, 6 months plus at a time but can't see how that could be a contributing factor really? I'd understand it if it was revved high from cold but it doesn't go above 2.5K until it's well up to temperature and my mums driven it no more than twice in the past year.

Yeah I'd agree that when I got it home it sounds more like a hose which is a minor relief. He checked it by mixing coolant I assume with a catalyst which resulted in the test turning green?

I put forward the do it myself idea (I have a friend who works as a mechanic plus a couple of mates who could help, alongside the fact we have a garage with enough space to go it. But was informed that my mum didn't like the idea and as such the idea was scrapped.

(More than happy to change radiator and pipes myself as done my celica ones it's just fitting it round work (50+ hours per week and 12 hour days lol)

Well that video is exactly what my mechanic was using and it turned green so guess that's it then sadly.

I had considered it and think if something had caused it that was probably it. The weird thing though is that since then its literally been faultless and was my daily for 3/4 months in the summer and never an issue. Then it sat, came out 2 days in a row and on the second day was sat there talking with the engine ticking over and steam starts coming out the expansion bottle

Not sure I'm getting the reference here, possibly I'm not a mechanic and actually asked for advice on a forum that's helps people, im 21, spent my money this year rebuilding the front end of my celica so sorry if the fact I have never worked on an engine and reached out to people that have makes me a spanner spastic in your book.

Correct, you are not getting there reference. Read more forum threads.

Well that video is exactly what my mechanic was using and it turned green so guess that's it then sadly.

I had considered it and think if something had caused it that was probably it. The weird thing though is that since then its literally been faultless and was my daily for 3/4 months in the summer and never an issue. Then it sat, came out 2 days in a row and on the second day was sat there talking with the engine ticking over and steam starts coming out the expansion bottle

The first over heat might have just weakend the gasket and a few miles later its finally gone