The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spacers - Views and limitations

Sheefa

No mate those are Brembos from the Jeep SRT. Mine are AP Racing that are supra fitment mate.

If they're Supra fitment why dont they fit if your wheels clear the UK calipers ?

Ignore that, i guess that just means they'll fit the car but not with nessesarily with stock wheels

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

If they're Supra fitment why dont they fit if your wheels clear the UK calipers ?

Ignore that, i guess that just means they'll fit the car but not with nessesarily with stock wheels

Correct Dunk. Length wise there is plenty of room under my wheels it's width of caliper that's the issue. I doubt they would fit under stock wheels either!

Not quite sure why you all seem to have a preference for the type that uses a longer stud? you do realize that the longer the stud the higher the shear force is, obviously the bolt torque has a limiting factor, but i would much rather use a billet spacer with it own captive bolts, as that way the shear force is distributed between 10 much shorter bolts instead of just five long ones, and that's looking at it from an engineering point of view.

It's not the studs that break, seen it loads of times where the bolt rips out of the aluminium spacer. I'd never trust bolt ons myself, especially the small 20mm size ones where there is no meat on them.

I've never needed to go much more than 10mm. Arp extended studs and hubcentric spacer ftw imho.

IMG_7365.JPG

IMG_7366.JPG

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

It's not the studs that break, seen it loads of times where the bolt rips out of the aluminium spacer. I'd never trust bolt ons myself, especially the small 20mm size ones where there is no meat on them.

I've never needed to go much more than 10mm. Arp extended studs and hubcentric spacer ftw imho.

Holy moly thanks Jamie, that looks horrendous. I did think slip ons with longer studs might of been worse but clearly not.

I did say Billet, and not cheap cast which will do that if pushed with drag starts/drift etc but then so with the long stud verity if subjected to the same abuse. i have seen long studs loosen off due to the shear/stretch/movement factor, and the wheel fall off as a result.

So i guess its a lottery either way, best way is wheels with the desired offset to start with...not so much to move or break that way.

:eek: is that an R35? Probably the worst car imaginable to put bolt on spacers on, being very fast, heavy, and with big wheels.

Hi Greg. I hope you are well mate.

I have just had this dilemma with my 330 Ci track car. Upgraded the brakes to AP Racing ones and then found that the front wheels didn't fit. After looking hard at hubcentric spacers, I have taken the plunge and got new wheels with a slightly lower offset but mainly the shape of the spokes made the clearance on the calipers.

Considering it was for track use, I went the extra yard. I wouldn't fancy running anything more than 10 - 15mm due to the extra weight on the bearings and also the shear force of longer bolts. Neither a billet spacer or longer bolts are ideal from an engineering point of view. The way I looked at it was if it snapped on the move, how much would it cost me?

There is also the consideration of whether you would catch the arch with a spacer on.

H.

I did say Billet, and not cheap cast which will do that if pushed with drag starts/drift etc but then so with the long stud verity if subjected to the same abuse. i have seen long studs loosen off due to the shear/stretch/movement factor, and the wheel fall off as a result.

So i guess its a lottery either way, best way is wheels with the desired offset to start with...not so much to move or break that way.

On the GTR they was super forma 6082 billet bolt on spacers.

I have just had this dilemma with my 330 Ci track car. Upgraded the brakes to AP Racing ones and then found that the front wheels didn't fit. After looking hard at hubcentric spacers, I have taken the plunge and got new wheels with a slightly lower offset but mainly the shape of the spokes made the clearance on the calipers.

Considering it was for track use, I went the extra yard. I wouldn't fancy running anything more than 10 - 15mm due to the extra weight on the bearings and also the shear force of longer bolts. Neither a billet spacer or longer bolts are ideal from an engineering point of view. The way I looked at it was if it snapped on the move, how much would it cost me?

There is also the consideration of whether you would catch the arch with a spacer on.

H.

Driftworks sell an extended or stock length stud a nut kit for the E46 mate, everyone and his dog seem to run them on M3 cutters, using bolts is a right pain taking the wheels on and off.

I've been running them years mate, 1000+hp drag racing, sideways lunatic:D and never had an issue.

Fair point! It's more the wear on bearings and suspension itself that also concerns me but given I wouldn't be going more than 15mm at the absolute max I shouldn't worry too much. Appreciated mate.

H.

Good to hear from you buddy, how is the car? That's definitely the right call if it's mainly track use I guess, mine will be occassional track use but mainly road use. The AP'S are so nice so really do want to fit them. Hopefully catch up soon bud.

Just get some washers of equal thickness and put on 3 studs then fit the wheel

Good shout will try that next week ;)

Driftworks sell an extended or stock length stud a nut kit for the E46 mate, everyone and his dog seem to run them on M3 cutters, using bolts is a right pain taking the wheels on and off.

Hi Jamie, sorry, I never thought about asking your opinion on this. As far as modding goes, there is pretty much nothing you haven't done. After speaking to the lads who were working on the car, we couldn't get agreement on which way to go as Mike Ward and Rob Wild both had their opinions. Considering the exisitng wheels were prone to cracking I took the plunge and got new ones to fix a multitude of possibilities.

From an engineering point of view Mr Toyota and Mr BMW make their decisions and any aftermarket mods are an extension of the original tolerances. I know that the chances of having serious issues are minimal or just down to plain luck in some cases but I will always play it safe if I can. You and I are poles apart when it comes to mechanical sympathy...:D

I even bought the 330 in order to run it to destruction and now I am tarting her up.

H.

Good to hear from you buddy, how is the car? That's definitely the right call if it's mainly track use I guess, mine will be occassional track use but mainly road use. The AP'S are so nice so really do want to fit them. Hopefully catch up soon bud.

The car is a long story and a lesson in how fixing one problem can damage your wallet with another. After spending 5 months on Mike Ward's drive, she is finally ready to be tracked.

H.

I ran a pair of 15mm slip-on spacers and extended studs from H&R on the rear of the track car for a long time, never had any trouble with them.

They're up for grabs in the breaking thread if you're going that route Greg.

Thanks Damien, I've bought some cheap spacers to check fitment first and will then know exact measurement. If 15mm or under needed then I'll keep brakes, if more then going to sell and keep UK setup. Will be in touch over next week if all OK and keeping them. Cheers.

I've been using novustech cnc machine hubcentric black anodised slip on spacers with ARP extended studs on the front for the last 4+ years and had no problems at all.

Personally never liked the idea of the bolt on spacers but obviously that's just personal preference.