The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supra project 'Sophie'

Suprakeith

Well some more goodies for Sophie, hopefully will get these fitted next week and can set up dizzy and she’s more or less ready to start up.

Am planning on starting her up using N/A exhaust manifold to check for any leaks and issues before order the turbo. Just want to make sure everything is fine with no problems before fit turbo.

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great build man! Reminds me of mine, went a very similar route...except i didnt do the work myself, and i just went with a refurbed head. Looks awesome! I went with the PHR pulleys but now the AC and tensioner/bracket really let the front of the engine bay down! Might have to delete the AC at some point, although it does come in handy every now and again, Dont forget to give the tensioner bracket a lick of paint! My water neck needs doing too :(

Looking forward to seeing the Coilpack conversion and FFIM as thats something on my list too. If you havent already ordered the whifbitz turbo kit, Power house racing do an amazing quality log manifold for NA-T (part of the street torque kit) which is what Im using in part - wasnt keen on it at first what with the sounds being different to a tubular and all, but as soon as i heard it, i was sold - it sounds like a plane taking off, really nice noises on WOT. Whifbitz kit will be much easier to get a hold of if time is an issue though.

Keep up the good work man, its going to be a beast! :thumbs:

Great build man! Reminds me of mine, went a very similar route...except i didnt do the work myself, and i just went with a refurbed head. Looks awesome! I went with the PHR pulleys but now the AC and tensioner/bracket really let the front of the engine bay down! Might have to delete the AC at some point, although it does come in handy every now and again, Dont forget to give the tensioner bracket a lick of paint! My water neck needs doing too :(

Looking forward to seeing the Coilpack conversion and FFIM as thats something on my list too. If you havent already ordered the whifbitz turbo kit, Power house racing do an amazing quality log manifold for NA-T (part of the street torque kit) which is what Im using in part - wasnt keen on it at first what with the sounds being different to a tubular and all, but as soon as i heard it, i was sold - it sounds like a plane taking off, really nice noises on WOT. Whifbitz kit will be much easier to get a hold of if time is an issue though.

Keep up the good work man, its going to be a beast! :thumbs:

Thank you so much, I will be getting tensioner billet pulley as think will finish off front of engine for sure. Just want to get her started and check for leaks and can do all the finishing touches.

Hopefully if all goes to plan I should be going coil and FFIM next year main focus this year is run her in and get her mapped so can enjoy car while save for other bits.

I have to agree the PHR turbo kit does look and sound amazing have been tempted few times to purchase that instead of Whifbitz one but it’s the import cost that puts me off, plus I know the Whifbitz one will just bolt one which is bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

The build hasn’t gone to plan last couple weeks,

1st fitted rebuild alternator, dampner and gates aux belt. Filled car with fluids and went to fit viscous fan but it was catching the 3 extruding torx bolts from ATI crank pulley.

After starting thread as thought had done something wrong turns out when they designed the ATI crank dampner they only designed it for the TT viscous fan so will need to get one of them now, did contact Real Street and they did confirm this, just wish one the sites had this information as looked on all supra sites and they only list the damper for gte engine.

2nd problem was yesterday tried to start her for the 1st time but had two injector seals leaking fuel so stripped inlet and reseated seals and tried again and no leaks, but the car just wouldn’t fire up at all. Checked spark and have spark and fuel but still nothing. Took plugs out yesterday to let engine dry out incase flooded it, checked my dizzy timing today and all good so refitted plugs and still same not firing. So am out of ideas for moment. Hopefully my mate will pop over next weekend see if he can see something I missed and recheck timing and earth points.

When started her for 1st time did disconnect ignitor to pump oil round 1st.

It’s defiantly been an annoying trying couple of weeks with car but sure will get her started soon, just disappoint as after spending 13k on build was so looking forward to hearing her again.

Looking good Keith. Glad you finally got to this stage as I remember you talking about thus years ago!

Cheers bud, yea been planning this for years, didn’t ever think would of gone this crazy with the build but definitely be worth it soon and she should be the most powerful 2jz-ge NA-T in group once finally got different gearbox on.

Well 1 step forward 2 steps back at moment, managed to get her running Friday evening, my mate sorted it. I hadn’t lined up the dizzy cog. Completely my mistake hold my hands up to that.

So to get her running perfect got timing light yesterday so could run her for 30mins to do full leak test.

But unfortunately after setting timing and running for 2-3mins started hearing noise so shut her down to check nothing was loose or anything damaged and couldn’t see anything, so fired her up again and could still hear this noise so had look while she was running and found the serpentine belt was rubbing on plastic timing covers, as 1st me and mate couldn’t see why so removed belt and mate spotted that the billet pulleys weren’t in line, in fact they were miles out, used straight piece of metal and the power steering and ATI crank dampner were perfectly in line but water pump was about 8mm and the alternator was about 10mm out.

Also noticed that the belt had damaged the brand new timing cover so now have to remove radiator and ATI crank dampner so can check everything and buy another one as don’t want any damage in the cover getting worst in future and possible causing main belt to get damaged or split. Am well annoyed but guess it’s one of the joys of project build.

Few pictures showing how far the billet pulleys are out. Going to remove pulleys and measure them with vernier as it doesn’t just make sense to me.

Thank you so much, I will be getting tensioner billet pulley as think will finish off front of engine for sure. Just want to get her started and check for leaks and can do all the finishing touches.

Hopefully if all goes to plan I should be going coil and FFIM next year main focus this year is run her in and get her mapped so can enjoy car while save for other bits.

I have to agree the PHR turbo kit does look and sound amazing have been tempted few times to purchase that instead of Whifbitz one but it’s the import cost that puts me off, plus I know the Whifbitz one will just bolt one which is bonus.

I couldnt agree more with the tensioner billet pulley, it will really tidy things up aesthetically, its something that annoys me every time I look at mine. Getting her up and running is the main thing atm bud, can see some of the problems you've had and Im glad you are pushing through with it all, not letting it dampen your spirits! That first drive after mapping will certainly be something you'll never forget, I can guarantee that! lol.

Yeah for sure, theres always time and space for mods down the line mate, time and money is what it all comes down to. I had to draw a line on the latter hence why im stuck with the w58 lol. It works, and its a blast to drive, so i cant complain really.

Im pretty sure the PHR kit is straight bolt on, no mods (I got sent a TT tubular manifold originally, and there was a big backlog on the NA versions so I ended up getting this log style one instead) no regrets, may be a bit extra but they are still rare over this side!

What did you use to reseal the injectors btw, Good ol' vaseline?

Keep the quality updates coming :thumbs:

I couldnt agree more with the tensioner billet pulley, it will really tidy things up aesthetically, its something that annoys me every time I look at mine. Getting her up and running is the main thing atm bud, can see some of the problems you've had and Im glad you are pushing through with it all, not letting it dampen your spirits! That first drive after mapping will certainly be something you'll never forget, I can guarantee that! lol.

Yeah for sure, theres always time and space for mods down the line mate, time and money is what it all comes down to. I had to draw a line on the latter hence why im stuck with the w58 lol. It works, and its a blast to drive, so i cant complain really.

Im pretty sure the PHR kit is straight bolt on, no mods (I got sent a TT tubular manifold originally, and there was a big backlog on the NA versions so I ended up getting this log style one instead) no regrets, may be a bit extra but they are still rare over this side!

What did you use to reseal the injectors btw, Good ol' vaseline?

Keep the quality updates coming :thumbs:

I used the old injector seals on the two leaking injectors. When see goes for mapping should hopefully be fitting brand new set of 1000cc injectors.

And yea the billet tensioner with clear cam cover should really finish of front off engine for sure.

Thank you again for the positive feedback, takes a lot to damper my sprits, but it’s been a challenging build and at times it’s really pushed me but she nearly there now, few silly bits to sort.

The PHR turbo kit would defiantly be something special over here as not many over hear at all, if funds allow may go that way, but also very tempted to go the SRD manifold in future as that does look stunning.

I will be sticking to the W58 box for while want to get FFIM and coil conversion done 1st then at least when do swap box I can increase the power, if it fails will just bolt on a R154 till save for either V160 or a sequential box of some sort haven’t thought to much about that yet, still plenty to keep me busy...lol.

I am so looking forward to the 1st drive after mapping will defiantly be special and will soon forgot all the problems had with build I am sure.

Well this weekend hasn’t gone to plan again, I started leak test and after 5minutes noticed the cam belt coming forward and it started to catch the plastic lower timing cover, so switched her off and let her cool down for few hours.

Decided to loosen the plastic cover to see what was happening and noticed the ATI damper wasn’t sitting flush against the timing ring that keeps cam belt in position, so thought would remove ATI damper and then refit everything and get it all lined up perfect but unfortunately the pulley tool slipped and snapped piece of rib of ATI pulley.

So that’s useless now as will just split belt.

After calmed down have decided to purchase the Titan motorsport version 2 crank damper duo to hasn’t got bolts sticking out so will save me buying TT viscous fan, plus have ordered new pulley removal tool to remove damage ATI one.

Am well annoyed at myself but lesson learnt make sure have right puller tool for the job!!

My fault for rushing as just wanted to complete 30minute running so could finally get turbo ordered, annoyed at myself as the ATI crank damper cost me over £500 but one of them things I guess.

Let’s just hope it all goes better next weekend, not an exciting update I know but thought put it up to stop someone else making same mistake losing money.

• 1 month later...

Well haven’t updated this for while duo to problem with damper and was unsure if to continue with build or sell engine and car back to stock and sell on, but after few weeks looking at other cars and options, decided can’t sell her or part with engine as build means to much.

Ordered new Titan version 2 crank damper plus ordered proper crank damper installation tool, but the tool kit didn’t include right adaptor for 2jz crank so made bolt at work and used bearing to ensure damper went on even.

After fitting damper and fitting new crank bolt, fan belt tensioner back on, refitted belt and radiator and filled with coolant and she fired up again right away and managed to run for about 10-15minutes before dying, think timing may just need tweaking but at least oil and water got up to temperature and had no leaks.

Tried fitting N/A viscous fan but still catches the damper so have ordered new TT cooling fan from Whifbitz today. Plus have ordered millers running in oil and new Toyota oil filter.

Next on list is to get the braided lines made for oil cooler do oil change tweak timing and run her again up to temperature.

Then she can go back on to floor and can get access to front wings as they in garage roof and send them for paint before refitting.

Forgot to mention have also bleed the clutch and brakes so that’s another job done, put all new brake and clutch fluid in after flushing out old fluids.

Another job need to do is bleed the power steering system as could here slight wine from new power steering pump while running.

My misses had got week off soon so going to be ordering Whifbitz na-t turbo kit so it arrives when she’s at home, then going to wrap manifold and downpipe in titanium heat wrap.

Looking good mate, I assume the belt alignment issue is now resolved?

/QUOTE]

Yea belt alignment is all sorted now as crank damper sitting on all the way this time, just need to sort the wiring now as all dash lights were flashing while running so think got loose connection.

The wife is off work and at home so your are ordering car parts to arrive whilst she is there?! :blink: Most of us order bits to arrive when they were away :D

All jokes aside, nice to see you gave it some thought and decided to continue with the project. It would have been a shame to see you walk away so close to the end.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Grammar. (see edit history)

The wife is off work and at home so your are ordering car parts to arrive whilst she is there?! :blink: Most of us order bits to arrive when they were away :D

All jokes aside, nice to see you gave it some thought and decided to continue with the project. I would have been a shame to see you walk away so close to the end.

My misses is good like that and doesn’t complain too much about what I spend [emoji4].

And thank you it would I been shame to walk away and think I would of regretted it for years to come.

Well over weekend I fitted new TT cooling fan from Whifbitz and cleaned and repainted fan cover and ran the car for few minutes before she died. While running noticed one blade of fan was catching fan cover so have adjusted that, and replaced vac as found split and could hear slight Wistling from it, must of caught it when had fan resting on engine.

Have ordered new upper timing cover from Toyota and clear cam cover to show off cam verniers.

Also my Millars 10w40 running in oil turned up yesterday, so can drop oil this weekend and fill with fresh and run her bit more to check got no more vac leaks, also seem to have electrical issue as engine light is flashing when ignition on, so will check connections, if can’t find anything will see if can get find local person to come and check the wiring.

Well bit of funny update,had some free time this morning so decided to try find electrical problem on supra. After checking all my earths were tight and clean, checked my sensor connections and everyone seemed fine.

So thought I know would do the paperclip trick to work out what code flashing, only to open to diagnostic box to find this....lol

Did make me laugh, when see the paperclip, I must of forgotten about it when 1st started engine up (total idiot lol).

At least now that’s one problem sorted put key in and no flashing engine light....funny happy day.