The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Valve Stem seals- Advice

ripped_fear

On my first supra when the turbo seals blew on the motorway en route to home, after turbofit (!!!!) completed various work, plumes of blueish white smoke could be seen.

From what you're saying its most likely the stem seals. Have you read Tony's guide on here on changing them?

Chris - do you still produce your seal kits? Am sure you had a batch of teflon seals etc a while back.

On my first supra when the turbo seals blew on the motorway en route to home, after turbofit (!!!!) completed various work, plumes of blueish white smoke could be seen.

From what you're saying its most likely the stem seals. Have you read Tony's guide on here on changing them?

Chris - do you still produce your seal kits? Am sure you had a batch of teflon seals etc a while back.

Thanks I have looked at the guide but I will not be doing this myself. Not a job I fancy. This is another job for a garage.

Teflon seal kits in stock, two sets only.

Thanks for the input Chris, is there an advantage to these over OEM? I normally always go for OEM. Would you be able to do fitting? If its something you would consider I will drop you an email.

Just follow T-licences thread on the seal replacement, i managed to do mine myself on my old supra, was perfect.

I can follow instructions and know how to use some tools but i'm no mechanic.

Thanks Ric but although the guide is very in depth I will not be doing this job.

They are cheaper than OE, which are a ridiculous price, and considered better. Better for sealing, and better for being able to accept more heat without hardening.

Plenty of people on here have them, and I could fit them if you wanted. My e-mail is in my sig if you want to mail me, as is my phone number, thanks.

Thanks Chris I will Drop you an email tomorrow regarding some prices and days.

Thanks

Jake

i got mine with the 2nd cat already removed. it puffed a blue cloud on start up but never while driving (i had friends follow me) i always suspected the stem seals. I have just removed the 1st cat and now I get a cloud of blue smoke occasionally come past my window when I stop at traffic lights and roundabouts :(

so it looks like the turbos after all

So updating from this the compression test came back good today, so thinking its more likely to be turbo seals starting to show. with it only being when its blipped lightly at idle would putting them in TTC be an idea to ease the pressure on them for a while?

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

So updating from this the compression text came back good today so thinking its more likely to be turbo seals starting to show. with it only being when it bliped lightly at idle would putting them in TTC be an idea to ease the pressure on them for a while?

Have you recently fitted a decat by any chance?

I would be amazed if running them in TTC mode made any difference to the smoking. New turbos or put one cat back on to add some backpressure. Test the theory with some sort of bung in the tailpipe if you can't be bothered fighting with a cat.

Ok thanks thats fine if its not worth the time I will leave them be. I have a VGC second cat I could put in. If the issue is there does the back pressure cure it or just hide it? If its just hiding the problem then not a route I fancy. If its stopping the problem then maybe I shall do that, bit of a shame though as it sounds and is running better than ever other than the puff.

Looking into turbo options :)

It's hiding poor turbine side seal issues. A bit of back pressure thrusts the seal faces together as the exhaust turbine drives the shaft forward. It then seals better. The stock turbos would not, at the design stage, have been expected to run with little or no back pressure, but new ones are fine. You could just accept a puff of smoke, it's not the ENGINE burning oil, it's all external. Oil V turbos is very cheap....

It's hiding poor turbine side seal issues. A bit of back pressure thrusts the seal faces together as the exhaust turbine drives the shaft forward. It then seals better. The stock turbos would not, at the design stage, have been expected to run with little or no back pressure, but new ones are fine. You could just accept a puff of smoke, it's not the ENGINE burning oil, it's all external. Oil V turbos is very cheap....

I intend to sink some money into the car over the winter but I have nearly exhausted my immediate funds for the build on all the recent work, and parts sat hear waiting to be fitted.

Is leaving them be going to increase the ware on them or would you advice fitting me second cat as a temporary solution? If fitting the cat is a good idea then I will get it done.

I intend to sink some money into the car over the winter but I have nearly exhausted my immediate funds for the build on all the recent work, and parts sat hear waiting to be fitted.

Is leaving them be going to increase the ware on them or would you advice fitting me second cat as a temporary solution? If fitting the cat is a good idea then I will get it done.

Chris has echoed my thoughts.

Replace the cat for now, the added backpressure will force the seals together, and the cat internals will also capture any residue still lost by the turbo.

Hence the reason I asked if you had just fitted a decat, it's common to see guys have no issues with smoking, fit a decat and immediately start to see issues

Ok will get it fitted then if its for the best, such a shame as it sounds awesome lol.

Would it be a good idea to remove the restrictor ring I had fitted too as there will be one cat restricting the air flow anyway? Previously it just had the first cat fitted, but for ease I will put a second in instead.