The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to: wire in flappy paddles to syvecs expander.

FOSTA

Hi guys just finished wiring in and fitting the carbon bell works paddles to my supra.

This is not much but hopefully it will be some use to someone.

If you already have a syvecs ecu with the expander fitted then this is a fairly simple process. Depending how your ecu has been set up you might already have the manual shift set up on your ecu, if not then you will need it set up once you have installed the paddles. I'm quite sure you could just email off your map and get the manual setting set up then emailed back to you for you to upload yourself but don't hold me to that! Your best speaking with your tuner to find out if that is possable. :)

Ok first off you need To decide what sort of paddles, swiches, buttons you want. I went with the carbon bells works they are very well made and very sturdy.

If you go with there universal kit you will also need a aftermarket steering wheel and boss kit!

I have seen a kit they do that just bolts the the plastic shrowd so I guess with that you could keep your stock steering wheel too.

Now with these paddles Turning with the steering wheel your best off connecting up to the STEERING CLOCK. This is the round plastic disc behind your steering wheel that turns with your steering wheel and allows for electrics to pass threw it without loose wires wrapping around your steering column.

It's a 6pin connector plug that has 6 pins coming from it. If you don't have cruise control you should only have the 1 wire coming out of the end right pin. ( let's call this pin 6)

Now I just unplugged this plug and I got myself some small speaker terminals from halfords, these fit on nice and tight into the pins in the steering clock. I just got 3 terminals and crimped them on to 3 septate 12" Long bits of 5amp wire. ( we will cut these wites down to size later) then for extra piece of mind I brushed on some flux paste onto the terminal where it's crimped and added some solder for a nice good connection, then sleeved them with some heat shrink insulation.

Now looking at the 6 pins in the front of the steering clock. Number 1 being furthest pin on the left and number 6 being the furthest pin on the right push each of these 3 wired terminals into pin 4, pin 5 and pin 6 (pin 6 is your horn earth and pin 4 and 5 we will use for the paddles).

Now if you pull your steering clock off the steering column and look at the back of it you will see a 6 pin plug going in!

This has 4 wires going in and only one of them is being used if you don't have cruise control. So the green wire is your horn. The other 3 red, white and brown are unused. The red wire is pin 5 on the front of the clock and the white wire is pin 4 on the front of the clock.

Now cut the red wire and connect a some 5amp cable that's long enough to reach your syvecs expander and solder the wire onto the plug end. Then do the same with another piece of wire to the white wite coming out of the plug. Make sure to use heat shrink once finished.

Once done plug the white plug back in to the back of the clock and mark up the 2 ends so you know which one is connected to the red and white wires. Push the steering clock back into place On the steering column Then neatly feed the 2 wires through to your syvecs expander.

If you look on your expander you will see the pins are numbered 1 to 35. Pin 13 is upshift and pin 22 is down shift.

On mine both of them wires where connected up to a plug ready for plug and play.

Connect the wire you soldered to the red wire on the steering clock up to pin 13. And then connect the wire you soldered to the white wire to pin 22 down shift.

Now just put on your steering wheels and paddles and pull threw the 3 wires making them up as pin 4,5 and 6.

Now pin 6 is your horn. So you can connect that up, now your up paddle should be placed on the right of your steering wheel and down paddle on tge left.

The paddles are just swiches so there will be 2 wires coming out of each paddle. The Wire you marked up as pin 5 needs to be connected up to any one of the 2 wires coming out of the right paddle ( upshift) and then the wire you marked up as pin 4 needs to be conncted to any of the wires coming out of the left paddle ( down shift). Now your left with 2 wires, one from each paddle. Both of these wires goes to ground.

Now your done with the paddles so just put everything else back together and push your horn into place.

Now you might be wanting your MANU light to show up when you hit a paddle to show your in full manual mode to do this you need to take alook at your factory ecu wiring harness connecter and pin 25A needs to connect to pin 6 on your expander. This is for the Manu light.

After this your all set, check it it's woring but if not don't worry you most likely just need the settings set up on the syvecs.

Sorry for any bad spelling etc.

Thanks Fosta.

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

This is a superb bit of work mate beautifully done!!

I will be looking to do a similiar conversion on mine, I was looking at the G Shift system but what is the one you are using?

JV

• 10 months later...

Hi question I see you put floppy paddle on your na-t 1996 auto is your auto box a TT or a na auto with the syvecs s6

I am having a syvecs s6 plus put on my na-t 1995 auto at the moment but TDI in essex is having trouble with the auto box side can you hlep at all the auto box only works in manual ie low 2 and drive no kick down, no o/drive and no auto

And I dont think they have wried it up right just wanted to see you there is anything you had done definitely

This car is not NA-T it's a singled TT

The syvecs was fitted by Ryan and we mapped it at SRR originally

Hi question I see you put floppy paddle on your na-t 1996 auto is your auto box a TT or a na auto with the syvecs s6

I am having a syvecs s6 plus put on my na-t 1995 auto at the moment but TDI in essex is having trouble with the auto box side can you hlep at all the auto box only works in manual ie low 2 and drive no kick down, no o/drive and no auto

And I dont think they have wried it up right just wanted to see you there is anything you had done definitely

• 1 month later...