The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rant! Just want my car fixed!!

Supra Ems

So this obviously blind woman reversed her car into my (parked and minding its own business) Supra at the end of September and I am still trying to get my car fixed. It only caused a crack in the rear bumper but I have been told that it will need a new one. Luckily, the car's still drivable (albeit embarrassing!). The main problem appears to be insurance company arguing over the cost of repairs. My local Toyota garage have quoted £2.5k for replacement bumper and paint (inc blending into the wings) but the insurance only want to pay £1.5k which wouldn't include blending the paint. They have said the car may be a write off if the costs are £2.5k.

I have no real idea how much my car is worth. I bought it 6 years ago for 6k. It's a Whiffen NA-T SZ-R (manual 6 speed) 1996 P reg with 101k miles and half engine rebuild during the turbo conversion. I don't want to get into a NA-value bashing session here - I love my car and that's all that matters, and I just want it fixed and done properly!

Is that too much to ask?? Bloody insurance!! Luckily, I caught the woman in the act, so it's on her insurance at least!

To top it all off, they delivered a nasty white pimp-mobile dad car Mercedes as a courtesy car - but as the repairs hadn't been agreed yet with toyota, I made them take it away again :p

Pay me il get you another silver bumper for £100, il help you fit it if you buy me a pint.

I'm not paying a penny for this, but I can pass your offer to my insurance and see if they'll take you up ;)

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll keep you posted. You can see a colour difference now between the plastic bumper and metal wings, so I can see why the insurance think they're taking the piss a bit, but I'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Get a trader from here to quote you for the repairs, £2.5k is too much, then supply the quote to insurance company and get it done.

I had some pull into me on a dual carriageway and banged up a front wing, I got a trader from here to do the repairs and didn't cost me a penny ;)

So last time i checked a stock bumper new is about £200. That can usually be done without blending the rear wings, i know a garage that did robw's rear bumper without and blend;) and hes quiet fussy:)

There's only one garage I trust :).......

Just go to a proper repair centre.

£2.5k is massively excessive, but I'm guessing that because you went to Toyota.

You are looking at way, way less then that to get this sorted bud

Yup, it is! Well, it's their job to get quotes and sort this out, so I'll wait and see what those idiots come up with before I do any more myself.

Thanks for all you advice though :D hopefully have it all sorted before Christmas ha ha!

I don't see a problem here, you can get a silver used bumper for around £30-50 here...rather than play with insurance and push your premium up next year. Because they WILL. Where does blending come into it? that rear bumper is just bolt on. £2.5k? someones having a bloody laugh. A uk rear bumper is £300 (more expensive) painting a panel is around £140-180..then fitting. £2.5k...£1.5k? jeez.

I don't see a problem here, you can get a silver used bumper for around £30-50 here...rather than play with insurance and push your premium up next year. Because they WILL. Where does blending come into it? that rear bumper is just bolt on. £2.5k? someones having a bloody laugh. A uk rear bumper is £300 (more expensive) painting a panel is around £140-180..then fitting. £2.5k...£1.5k? jeez.

Blending the paint down the quarter panels or there is a strong possibility it wont match.

Even so £2.5k is cuckoo land, i'd happily paint and fit the bumper and blend into the quarters for £1500

That.

Can't understand this at all, are we missing something? Is it literally just the rear bumper that needs replacing?

That.

Can't understand this at all, are we missing something? Is it literally just the rear bumper that needs replacing?

I looks like its just the bumper, knowing insurance they've added all the brackets/fittings to the list to because bodyshops are too lazy. Worked in one, seen how they are. Such false economy, they literally tip good working parts :(

don't worry, this is coming out of her insurance as she has accepted responsibility, so I'm not paying for anything. And yes, it is just the bumper. They'll let me know tomorrow, but all of the options you guys have mentioned are a possibility here, so thanks.

They should let me know what's going on tomorrow - I imagine they'll find a cheaper garage!