The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it just me? The time of year?

Scott

Hmm. Some very honest view points coming out. Although I love the club and I have made some very special friends on here, I ultimately got bored of most of the threads and had several reasons for moving on. I nip on most days but I have noticed that there is little to get your teeth into of late.

I used to start threads and they never really got the response that was worthy of taking time to host photos and type explanations. I now just don't bother. Maybe others feel the same?

H.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there was me thinking it was just me. :D

I've thought for a long time that maybe its just down to sports car drivers. Attention seekers and competitive in nature.

When my car was featured on the Toyota stand with the FT-1, I'd guess around 5 people could be bothered to comment. I actually felt guilty updating my project thread in the aftermath (purely to document its history) as I felt like I could be rubbing it in further.

I'll always compliment others on their projects and don't expect anything in return. It's just my love for cars and I wouldn't let anyone sap the fun out of it for me.

I nip on most days but I have noticed that there is little to get your teeth into of late.

I used to start threads and they never really got the response that was worthy of taking time to host photos and type explanations. I now just don't bother. Maybe others feel the same?

H.

Yep exactly that, no responses then why bother. Exactly how I feel.

I was not too far away from posting a last message on here a few months back...(probably wouldn't get any responses anyway) but thought better of it.

The thing members should not be feeling like this from a "community" of Supra enthusiasts.

H... I have always loved your avatar :)

And there was me thinking it was just me. :D

I've thought for a long time that maybe its just down to sports car drivers. Attention seekers and competitive in nature.

When my car was featured on the Toyota stand with the FT-1, I'd guess around 5 people could be bothered to comment. I actually felt guilty updating my project thread in the aftermath (purely to document its history) as I felt like I could be rubbing it in further.

I'll always compliment others on their projects and don't expect anything in return. It's just my love for cars and I wouldn't let anyone sap the fun out of it for me.

No, it seems there is a number of us that feel this way, glad it has come out actually.

Its one of those things that you never really get to say.

I saw your car on the stand, looked mint and a nice accolade for the Supra and the history of your car.

I too feel guilty about updating mine or I start to wonder if people are looking at this and thinking... "oh blimey now what is he on about"..

Thanks mate. There's no doubt people will be looking and judging, but quite honestly? Who give a crap. It's your car, do what you want with it. You're always going to get annoyances with clubs. People are like lemmings after all. A certain brand or way of doing something becomes popular so its out with everything and anything outside of the box.

To be honest compared to a lot of forums, this is fairly busy considering the marquee.

I love the project threads, though I have to admit I don't always post a reply after an update. As much as folks might not reply, it's a great place to keep a track record of the process.

I noticed that too. Shocking tbh.

Nothing like a warm reception from the "community". :D I'll be honest, at first I almost felt like deleting my posts and requesting a mod remove the thread, but thought "Nope... sod it. This is getting documented here and now.".

I truly appreciated your kind comments as well as a few other members though, kendoskeg. It was probably the peak of my Supra ownership and it was nice to share it with other Supra lovers.

I haven't been on here very much recently, one of the reasons is that there are a number of people on here ready to jump on someone as soon as they want to do something a bit odd or weird with their Supra, I for one have had some odd comments on the gearbox conversion on my car admittedly not on the forum but from some forum members. Most of which have not got the point of why I am doing it but even so its a little disheartening.

Not only that, when you do update your project thread there is about as much enthusiasm in the forum as a depressed atheist being asked to attend church. OK you get the usual's that will always say "awesome well done" blah blah even on projects which are not really their thing and that's great :) yet it seems the newbies just join but don't contribute to anything.

I for one wanted to keep my project thread going but tbh, whats the point if no one shows any enthusiasm for it, I mean why go through all that time posting up pictures, writing up what you have done etc only for a tumbleweed response..

Lastly, if I am being truthful here I started to come on the forum less, the more people were talking and trying to persuade other members to change their cars to the dreaded GTR. Now I don't have anything against the GTR. But to come on the forum after buying one and then basically telling people to save their money and buy a GTR instead of what they have.. why were these people allowed to do this? I belong to other dedicated forums for the other cars I have at my home and I have seen people banned on the spot for saying those sorts of things why was it tolerated on this forum? Yes I understand its a car forum but its a dedicated car forum. Also when you challenge these people they pull out the big guns and start slating the Supra because its an old car.. or come out with comments like "have you actually driven one", its all very defensive. Since then the forum has felt more like a slanging match rather than a community, not to mention as before the traders have become a lot more reactive than proactive...

The future, well the forum will get smaller, it will, there will be less people on here as more Supra's get put on the scrapheap, if however we can get rid of some of the stupid attitudes and show interest in peoples cars/projects etc and let it become a community again then that while the numbers will decline we will still have an owners club.. not something like a Civic forum...

Good post and I totally agree.

I've noticed the same with project threads and I was just thinking it's probably because I'm still pretty new on the forum or maybe because I've not made myself known to well to other members when I've been to any shows or meets!

I know I'm probably just as bad and I'm not on here as much as I should and posting in other peoples threads / project threads, but sometimes to me the responses to curtain threads have like there own committed followers if you get what I mean and will only have interest in what they do and not much with others?

I think this forum is still a pretty good place / club and the people I've had the pleasure in meeting have been really friendly and nice, that was one of my reasons for joining this club even though I'd had my supra quite a while before hand! So joined here to try and make some good friends with of cause the big interest in supras.

Yep exactly that, no responses then why bother. Exactly how I feel.

I was not too far away from posting a last message on here a few months back...(probably wouldn't get any responses anyway) but thought better of it.

The thing members should not be feeling like this from a "community" of Supra enthusiasts.

H... I have always loved your avatar :)

I think these things will always have their ups and downs, it has over the last 9 years for me. Problem is, these cars are getting older and more difficult for people to maintain properly. With that you get a lot of short term members these days who tick their box and then move on. Not many now who are up for long term membership on a 20 year old car when there are so many other cars to try, budget dependant.

I look at the hard core of members from my early days in 2006 and there are only a handful left as regular posters. I bet my post count isn't even one a day these days, where it used to be 20 odd.

Thanks for the avatar comment. My friend should be singed to buggery by now, but he keeps on coming back for more..!!

To be honest compared to a lot of forums, this is fairly busy considering the marquee.

We have a marquee? Good if it starts raining, I suppose....!!:D:sly:

H.

Manwithsupra - Blimey someone speaking their mind on this forum :respekt:

Abz is right I came from the skylineowners forum that used to be booming a few years back and now its basically dead I check it probably every 2 months and the same threads are on the first page with hardly no builds going on what so ever.

Unfortunately people will not like it but the mk4 has a shelf life just like the mk3 did and it is getting on now 22 odd years it will start having a knock on effect with the traders how many people are lining up to spend big money on a 22 year old car especially when the base price is high and coupled with hike in Toyota part prices earlier in the year . I think another nail in the coffin could be the mk5 as I was reading the other day Bmw will release the car as well but with the option of the two smaller engines and Toyota will get the middle engine and the big engine with the electric motor they still say it will be affordable and approachable by the many but we will see, either way 2 manufactures knocking out the same car there will no doubt be quite a few not to mention the grey imports that will come over which means second hand prices will probably drop fairly quickly just like the r35 which there is some 100+ plus for sale on piston heads all the time 60k new motor 5 years old can be picked up for 36k .

I must admit I generally lurk around on the forum and am not very good at telling people what I am up to, I also find when I do post there is not a lot of replies, if it's a technical thing I generally post hoping Chris Wilson replies at least.

Manwithsupra I follow your thread intently and I love it and what you are doing, and the fact your doing it yourself. The issue for me is how many time can I say this on your thread ?! I also love Scott's thread and anyone else who does the project themselves.

Great replies guys, summing up my feelings with it all entirely. I'm not on anywhere near as much as I used to be but when I come on I don't look at who has started a thread, or who has posted in it. I look at what is being asked or what is being posted about to see if it's something I can help with. If there aren't a lot of threads I'll generally go through ALL of them and if I have something to add I will.

Unfortunately it seems to me that a lot of people chose their posting based on the OP, almost like fanboys.

A good example is the Applecross picture/video thread. Some of the guys haven't even bothered to post their pictures in there because almost everyone couldn't care less. The facebook photo album has seen so much interest from people outwith the Supra world that it's almost a travesty that noone here cares at all. A lot of North of the border community threads see little to no interest outwith the area though.

If threads aren't concerning someone directly, a particular area of interest or with a certain person starting them then very few people are interested. It's a real shame :(

What you mentioned there Scott in terms of Facebook has probably had a big influence too. So many regional car clubs are on Facebook these days as opposed to the various forums that people tend to go on there a lot more.

I've got some people on my fb friends list who own absolutely stunning supras or who are doing big builds and they don't bother with here.

I've seen that when reading other people's post etc they seem to communicate more via Facebook rather than on the forum! Bit of a shame really and don't know why! I'm not on Facebook and never will be so don't understand why there's more interest on there than on the forum when it comes to supra related stuff.

Scroll up the top, left hand side. You can "like" the thread :)

Yeah, but that's on Facebook. I like to come on here to get away from FB. :D

Like posts still comes up on tapatalk as the little thumbs up button

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/29/56e4d07c0f02c7b74b82603f1a71625f.jpg

Do you mean rep Supes?

This is what I'm referring to: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=266358. If you keep scrolling down you will see a post with a 'Thanks' on it.

You can like and thank members on their posts. Each 'like' or 'thanks' tallies up on your profile. :)

I haven't been on here very much recently, one of the reasons is that there are a number of people on here ready to jump on someone as soon as they want to do something a bit odd or weird with their Supra, I for one have had some odd comments on the gearbox conversion on my car admittedly not on the forum but from some forum members. Most of which have not got the point of why I am doing it but even so its a little disheartening.

Not only that, when you do update your project thread there is about as much enthusiasm in the forum as a depressed atheist being asked to attend church. OK you get the usual's that will always say "awesome well done" blah blah even on projects which are not really their thing and that's great :) yet it seems the newbies just join but don't contribute to anything.

I for one wanted to keep my project thread going but tbh, whats the point if no one shows any enthusiasm for it, I mean why go through all that time posting up pictures, writing up what you have done etc only for a tumbleweed response..

Lastly, if I am being truthful here I started to come on the forum less, the more people were talking and trying to persuade other members to change their cars to the dreaded GTR. Now I don't have anything against the GTR. But to come on the forum after buying one and then basically telling people to save their money and buy a GTR instead of what they have.. why were these people allowed to do this? I belong to other dedicated forums for the other cars I have at my home and I have seen people banned on the spot for saying those sorts of things why was it tolerated on this forum? Yes I understand its a car forum but its a dedicated car forum. Also when you challenge these people they pull out the big guns and start slating the Supra because its an old car.. or come out with comments like "have you actually driven one", its all very defensive. Since then the forum has felt more like a slanging match rather than a community, not to mention as before the traders have become a lot more reactive than proactive...

The future, well the forum will get smaller, it will, there will be less people on here as more Supra's get put on the scrapheap, if however we can get rid of some of the stupid attitudes and show interest in peoples cars/projects etc and let it become a community again then that while the numbers will decline we will still have an owners club.. not something like a Civic forum...

You sir give yourself a cookie. Screw it a packet of cookies for that post. I hate the GTR fan boys on here. I am a Supra enthusiast and will forever own one because it's a special car.

I took a year out from the forum whilst I lived abroad and found it very quiet once I returned on here.

To be honest I only hang around because of a few very special people on here and look at a few build threads looking for inspiration.

You sir give yourself a cookie. Screw it a packet of cookies for that post. I hate the GTR fan boys on here. I am a Supra enthusiast and will forever own one because it's a special car.

I took a year out from the forum whilst I lived abroad and found it very quiet once I returned on here.

To be honest I only hang around because of a few very special people on here and look at a few build threads looking for inspiration.

So trying to persuade you into a BMW is pointless then Ross. I have joined the dark side and love it.

H.