The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW manual conversion

rob.sherer

There are also a lot of members on here from Aberdeen, so you could suggest that you will go and view it - I'm sure that someone could help out with that should it actually exist at all ;)

That was advertised in london a few months back, saying he was selling it from a recent family death and clearing out parts but would have to be posted from scotland it screams scam,

However i recently picked up a 2nd hand v160 from a scotland for full conversion money and turns out the box is f#@k'd to put it nicely, and now struggling with contact with the seller

I'd only buy from a trusted seller if spending this amount of cash or new from america

Who was that with?

There is a driver in the Drift Outlaws Championship (Side series of British Drift Championship) who's got hold of a template to run a BMW box on his Soarer named Darren Jones, I don't know if it's a 1J or a 2J but I seen the car at the last round and it was coping fine all day long, I wouldn't give up on this idea until you've gotten advice from somebody who's actually done the conversion and has experience with it, it would be like asking Kanye West what it's like to have a wife that doesn't get her baps out, make naughty videos or love herself....cause he wouldn't know!

There is a driver in the Drift Outlaws Championship (Side series of British Drift Championship) who's got hold of a template to run a BMW box on his Soarer named Darren Jones, I don't know if it's a 1J or a 2J but I seen the car at the last round and it was coping fine all day long, I wouldn't give up on this idea until you've gotten advice from somebody who's actually done the conversion and has experience with it, it would be like asking Kanye West what it's like to have a wife that doesn't get her baps out, make naughty videos or love herself....cause he wouldn't know!

interesting Mason.

You wouldn't by any chance know how i could contact him? is he on the forum?

My friend Ollie Elmore in the drift championships is running a 2jz R33, he has a BMW setup on his 2jz. He's wheel spinning with 513hp and 433ft lb at the wheels with 1.55 bar.

He's going for 800Nm.

He did say he had a shifter problem, due to the abuse already. I'm keeping tabs on it, as my 2nd gear is tough to engage, and not sure if it's cheaper than rebuilding/upgrading an R154.

That was advertised in london a few months back, saying he was selling it from a recent family death and clearing out parts but would have to be posted from scotland it screams scam,

However i recently picked up a 2nd hand v160 from a scotland for full conversion money and turns out the box is f#@k'd to put it nicely, and now struggling with contact with the seller

I'd only buy from a trusted seller if spending this amount of cash or new from america

Woah I think I nearly brought that conversion glad I didn't now. Was it the one with the 2 clutches? Giken twin and an exedy triple? If so I messaged about it and he said I could have it for £3550 but I never followed through with it.

It's easy to speculate over though, there's no witchcraft or anything involved.

The E36 and E46 have strong manual gearboxes that are great to use. They feel noticeably nicer than the Getrag V160/V161. Has anyone compared gear ratios to make sure they are broadly compatible with the available diffs for the Supra? we also know that they are not a straight fit, and will require at least a custom bellhousing adapter, custom clutch/flywheel set up, custom mounts, a speed signal sensor solution, a custom prop, and alterations to the transmission tunnel and/or shifter set up on the BMW gearbox. those are the bare minimum, and it is quite an extensive and expensive list. And as I said before, as it is all custom, there are no readily available spares.

There is pretty much no way that this will be possible for less than the price of an R154 conversion. And as it will not add value on to the car like a Getrag box would, any financial benefit to the BMW swap is negated. The only potential benefit of the BMW conversion is that future replacement gearboxes would be cheaper. But as they are tough gearboxes, this scenario is unlikely.

No matter how you weigh it up, there is just no real benefit over the tried and tested Toyota options.

Woah I think I nearly brought that conversion glad I didn't now. Was it the one with the 2 clutches? Giken twin and an exedy triple? If so I messaged about it and he said I could have it for £3550 but I never followed through with it.

thats the one,

f#@ked may be an overstatement, but it whines in all gears but 5th and struggles to 6th gear, not what i paid for and i'm certainly not happy.

There are also a lot of members on here from Aberdeen, so you could suggest that you will go and view it - I'm sure that someone could help out with that should it actually exist at all ;)

Who was that with?

I've had a missed call whilst i'm at work today so i wont name and shame whilst i try come to the bottom of the matter. I'm just after what i paid for, it was also purchased through the facebook group so not really associated with the forum.

however after research into the matter now i'm having trouble, reveilles that has been trouble in the past on this forum with items from this member

thats the one,

f#@ked may be an overstatement, but it whines in all gears but 5th and struggles to 6th gear, not what i paid for and i'm certainly not happy.

I've had a missed call whilst i'm at work today so i wont name and shame whilst i try come to the bottom of the matter. I'm just after what i paid for, it was also purchased through the facebook group so not really associated with the forum.

however after research into the matter now i'm having trouble, reveilles that has been trouble in the past on this forum with items from this member

I say name and shame. I certainly would like to know for future reference.

i got an email for that gearbox conversion kit and he said it was still for sale. i dont know anyone in Aberdeen to have a look at it for me tho :/

:)

I'm included in that list - find out where it is and see if he is willing to have someone look at it. :thumbs:

Hi James. He lives in Peterhead in Aberdeen. Trying to get his contact details and full adress. He says he is available until 4 tomorrow but that's obviously short notice. So if I get a number out of him shall I pass it on to you so you can arrange a time that suits you? Only if you have time and it's not out of your way. Much appreciated :)

Rob

What's his name? I know a few people from Peterhead..

he just said "Will" at the end of his email. Its through craigslist lol. so just want to find out if it is genuine. even tho the price is low there is no point brushing it off. he may not actually know what he is selling :)