The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DAW build - Dressed to kill- full carbon wide body

Rob_Mitchell

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am awaiting carbon parts from Stevo, who is a master at this but I thought I would try and attempt some parts for myself. I won't be offering this as a service as respect for Stevo offering it already.

I Have started by doing rear speaker covers and steering wheel cover. It's a painstakingly slow and patient process and my finger tips are bleeding. The parts still need clear coating but here are some pics of my progress for anyone who is following the build.

Drilling the holes out was a nightmare lol I'll keep you posted when they are all finished

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

love the speaker covers Rob! :cool:

Cheers mate. I'll post finished pics when they are done

If you do take it on track just a quick 1 about the brakes, the calipers you have suffer terribly from pad knockback so you may want to install some check valves in the lines to combat this.

Yeah something I'll look into but to be honest the way it's going it will be in shows more than on a track.

Speaker covers and steering wheel cover finished and clear coated. Should get some more of the interior trimming done tomorrow. Idea is to get the inside perfect and get the rolling shell as perfect as we can before moving onto the heart (engine)

Look spot on. Grills look awesome. [emoji106]🏼

What you using to stick the leather rob?

Just a tin of high temp contact glue, got it off eBay john, apparently the trade use it for interiors... Works really good, too good really but a spray would be better imo

using various rollers to smooth out the leather once its applied to the panel..

Bit of supra surgery! Dash removed for leather trim. Also gives me chance to put back a new loom ect, hate seeing things all cut! Has to go back as near as factory as possible. I did want to keep it as much UK spec as possible but I will be fitting a Jspec dash as I think it looks silly having a disconnected airbag in the dash when you have a monsterous rollcage surrounding you lol. Plus I like storage and the Extra compartment comes in handy.

image.jpg

No not at the moment mate. Its a first for us too so just learning and taking our time getting it perfect. its very time consuming

Thats a shame, if you ever fancy changing your mind and want another car to show the work pm me! Will happily pay to be a guniea pig. Looks like you have done a superb job!

Keep it up.

Thats a shame, if you ever fancy changing your mind and want another car to show the work pm me! Will happily pay to be a guniea pig. Looks like you have done a superb job!

Keep it up.

No worries I'll keep you posted, one thing for sure its not a over night thing. Take a lot of time

Love a good DAW build. It's right up my street. Keep the updates coming brother.

Thanks John, got to keep the flag flying for us magpies who love bling

Cheers, really want my door cards done!

Cracking build, reminds me of the days I watched your thread on the NA, was inspiration for my own car.

No worries I'll keep you posted. I know i remember though looking at Jamie's, hodges, Wayne's do-luck build thinking i want to one day be at that stage lol. I never thought I would build another one but one thing for sure is I have a lot more patience and things just need to be right... No rush.

Nice work rob are your fingers bleeding and sore yet from pulling and stretching the leather , Also how long before we get some colour shots ,

Haha buzzing off the glue mate. Working in the loft so not much ventilation. Fingers still sore from the carbon skinning. Body is just sat in primer still Matt, been really busy at work with bodywork so supra gets put on pause lol.

No worries I'll keep you posted. I know i remember though looking at Jamie's, hodges, Wayne's do-luck build thinking i want to one day be at that stage lol. I never thought I would build another one but one thing for sure is I have a lot more patience and things just need to be right... No rush.

Yours and Hodges were the two that always had my attention as even though they had the power, they were about styling. Two engine bays that really stood out.

Think John should start over too, we need more big builds.