The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dropping down to 18's for better traction?

msupra1

After having different tire set ups, I quickly came to realise that if I was driving with R888s and it started to rain, the best course of action was to pull up to the side of the road, turn the engine off, put the hazards on, get out and back away from the car :D.

Yeah, I learned the hard way by facing a crash barrier on a motorway, on the lockstops fully sideways in sixth gear at 120mph. My passenger very nearly died with fright.

Well im going to be looking at running 17s on the rear and 18s up front i wabt to go as wise a tyre as i can on the rear im hoping 11,5 but i think il.need arch work to get a 315/35-40tyre to fit under the arch even on 17s

Im going 315 wide R888's on a 12" rim for the rears but thats with the wide arch. Not going to be moving it in the wet lol.

Yeah I think at the sight of any rain it will be staying at home and the MR2 will be out lol

Even normal driving at 30 on a roundabout the back end will just go.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I think at the sight of any rain it will be staying at home and the MR2 will be out lol

The lesser of two evils an MR2 in the wet lol

too many people confuse wider tyres with more grip especially when it comes to radials

:yeahthat:

Sticking the widest wheels and tyres on a car will ruin the handling rather than improve it. I have found that sensibly sized decent tyres are much better at dealing with our substandard roads.

Im going 315 wide R888's on a 12" rim for the rears but thats with the wide arch. Not going to be moving it in the wet lol.

Aquaplaning will be a term you will come to know with that sort of section tyre on the back. Widest is not always bestest... I have sat twidlling my thumbs in a 911 Turbo on a streaming wet motorway, knowing standing water will be my undoing over 80 MPH while narrow tyred repmobiles streamed past oblivious.

- - - Updated - - -

too many people confuse wider tyres with more grip especially when it comes to radials

Indeed!

R888 is treacherous in the wet. Excellent in the dry but deadly in the rain.

The R888 is just a cheap and nasty tyre produced to give race series organisers a budget priced tyre that sounds "racy" to spec for their series.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is so much better, the R888 really is more comparable to an iron tyred wooden wheel alongside.

Aquaplaning will be a term you will come to know with that sort of section tyre on the back. Widest is not always bestest... I have sat twidlling my thumbs in a 911 Turbo on a streaming wet motorway, knowing standing water will be my undoing over 80 MPH while narrow tyred repmobiles streamed past oblivious.

She'll be sat tucked up nice and safe on my driveway when there's any water around Chris :) the MR2 can brave those conditions :D lol

She'll be sat tucked up nice and safe on my driveway when there's any water around Chris :) the MR2 can brave those conditions :D lol

Well im going to be looking at running 17s on the rear and 18s up front i wabt to go as wise a tyre as i can on the rear im hoping 11,5 but i think il.need arch work to get a 315/35-40tyre to fit under the arch even on 17s

To save the arch rolling (and body bashing on the inner side) you could go with a 275/40/17 on something like a 9.5" or 10" rim. I really wanted to try that but sold the car before I had the chance. You'll get the exact same sidewall height and appearance from most angles except straight behind. You'll probably save some serious money on tyres and have a lot more choice! :D

The R888 is just a cheap and nasty tyre produced to give race series organisers a budget priced tyre that sounds "racy" to spec for their series.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup is so much better, the R888 really is more comparable to an iron tyred wooden wheel alongside.

You don't rate it then no :D

I found Vredesteins to be the absolute best, but that was a few years ago now. In the wet especially they were amazing.

Ah the Sessanta's :thumbs:

Same here, especially in the wet they are fantastic! Very predictable grip & good wear rate too.

My old supra running 600bhp and 19"s struggled to break traction past 2nd gear, i changed my wheels to 18"s (with wider tyres) and made the traction far worse, i could light them up up to 4th. Both premium tyres, zz3 on 19s, contis on the 18s, work that one out :D

I run 2 maps,

pump gas 570bhp , it hooks in 2nd with no traction issues

but when I run my meth/pump map for 700bhp, once I pin it the back just kicks out and hits redline in 2nd. If its relatively warm and dry the car hooks in 3rd.. but half of the time its losing some traction in 3rd.

Why have you got 2 degrees negative rear camber? That's far too much and an ultra low profile 19 inch tyre will have a large percentage of its tread unloaded, particularly as the rear squats and negative camber increases even more under hard acceleration!! What springs and dampers are on it? if it's been lowered negative camber gain in squat and roll will increase even faster. Nicest MKIV's I get to drive in the wet, or on bumpy roads are the ones still on 16 inch rims, at or near to stock ride height.

My wheel setup is really aggressive and I was having rubbing issues. I've been running this alignment since BPU.

Since then I've had some inner fender work done and suspension is 0.5" higher so I should be fine to go back to a less aggressive alignment.

I have a rare Bilstein coilover setup but they don't have dampening control. These are as soft as stock if not softer, they feel good but too bouncy. I'm eyeing a set of HKS coils which ill likely be picking up. I need something with dampening control.

Well after reading this thread it looks like I'm going to go with 18"

I'd agree 17" feel felt the best but it's too small for my licking. 18" seems like a good size.

edit: I've also always had wheel hop issues with 19's, on my previous supra and this one. On 18's it wasn't as much of an issue. I'm guessing its due to the low profile tire.

Edited by msupra1 (see edit history)