The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T Turbo adivse.

ripped_fear

Wow well this thread went from dead to lots of input rather quickly, thank you all. Will try and clarify and answer everything said.

First off I appreciate on paper sticking a TT lump in is cheaper, but I cant stress the 'on paper' enough, I know lots of people who have done this and it hasnt exactly gone smooth. Not going to name names, (they can come forward if they wish) but my decision for NA-t is final. If mine is to get forced induction this will be the route.

I have lots of reasons as to why, and anyone I have spoken to at meets/shows/event etc will know them. But basically I'm not about to stick an unknown, no history, engine into my car as all history related to my car immediately becomes redundant, as does all the work and money I have put into my current engine. (my car has easily touched the cost of two TT6's) The only way I would consider a TT engine is if I had the funds to do a full build on a fresh engine. Something I do not currently as this would easily hit the 10-15k + mark.

I will check out Scotts car if he is running the same or similar turbo, and maybe get in touch with him. Thanks for the heads up on that Rich.

As for Lee at SRD producing an NA-t kit, Im not sure this is going to happen. I did float the idea about this when he posted about his recent single kit. If it does come to fruition later down the line, then great, but having spoken to him myself I'm sure again this will be something around the 10k mark, due to him wanting to use products he has tried and tested. And I can fully understand this as Im sure you all can.

1JZ is another option but as with the 2JZ GTE this would bring up the same issues so instantly ruled out in my mind.

Putting a GTE head on a GE block is somthing I would look at further down the line once I have had a Na-t set up for a while and enjoyed it for a few years and then upgraded the transmission. You are very much correct when saying the crank is the same and will have been subject to less abuse. And when it comes to the oil squirter, look at some builds across the pond. Some delete these anyway. But again this isn't something I'm looking at now, and its something I can consider If I wish to progress the car further.

Keeping it NA is again another option, and I like that my car is rather unique due to it being a little different. The issue is its my toy these days, and now its no longer the daily I want more power. I just want more of a driving experience from it. I love the way the car looks, and handles, but I'm more than used to the power now, I just need a little more grunt.

4k for a 'drive in drive out' build is about right, chuck another grand in for good measure. Ive been accounting for around 5k using all new parts. But buying this used kit would save me allot, but I will not be cutting corners and I'm out of my depth as I'm no mechanic, hence looking for the advice.

And the ITB's is ANOTHER route I have looked into, and the cars that have had this done seem to have lower BHP than when they start out, instantly put me off. Although it really is an idea I love and would love to do. Id love it to be different and if this could be accomplished with a sizeable difference in BHP and Torque I would happily consider it again.

But anyway I think we have moved away from the point of this thread, I was looking for opionons on this particular turbo kit I listed, due to being offered it at a great price. :D

Do you know the history of the kit? Is there cracking could be the same as putting a TT lump in not knowing the history and could cost more in the long run. building a kit yourself with "new parts" or buying a new turbo kit, would be a safer option?

Can you upgrade the turbo to say a new gen2 precision turbo or NA-T's really limited on the power/turbos they can use?

If I was in your position id always want to go new.

Do you know the history of the kit? Is there cracking could be the same as putting a TT lump in not knowing the history and could cost more in the long run. building a kit yourself with "new parts" or buying a new turbo kit, would be a safer option?

Can you upgrade the turbo to say a new gen2 precision turbo or NA-T's really limited on the power/turbos they can use?

If I was in your position id always want to go new.

I don't really see the comparison, tbh. A second hand turbo is easy enough to check for play/wear. A second hand engine isn't without fitting it and running it up, and even then... problems could take thousands of miles to materialise. A turbo is easy to change... an engine isn't.

For the money you save, I would consider a second hand turbo upon inspection, definitely. :)

You could make more peak power with ITB's, but the idea of the trick intake on the NA's is to provide a decent spread of torque. :)

Another avenue you could go would be twin turbo 1UZ. Ryan turned around the stock exhaust manifolds and welded a flange on to make them turbo manifolds.

The real issue with any of these ideas though, is that I assume you're still using a W58?

Jake if done right and with a 6 speed box NA-T can be great you can achieve really good numbers going single on an NA using the cash you would have used to buy an TT engine and putting a single on it.

If you need any advice feel free to drop me a pm.

I have found from past experience that collecting random parts and then getting them to fit and work together can be more costly that fitting a bespoke kit

Agreed, there's the extra hassle that goes with it too. As with everything time is money.

Jake if done right and with a 6 speed box NA-T can be great you can achieve really good numbers going single on an NA using the cash you would have used to buy an TT engine and putting a single on it.

If you need any advice feel free to drop me a pm.

Thanks mate. Very kind I will drop you a pm at some point to pick your brains.

I have found from past experience that collecting random parts and then getting them to fit and work together can be more costly that fitting a bespoke kit

Thats a fair comment Dean, And probably very true. My intention was to always go with a kit, however it always leaves a list of one. The Wifbitz kit, its the only thing on the market that comes as a kit I would consider fitting as anything else is always a cheap turbo. Its a rather limited market for NA-t's.

The kit this thread is about if everything needed other than an intercooler and fuelling if I purchase with the engine. I just have no experience with these parts so was looking for information regarding the turbo. After searching around on google they seem to be rather reliable, although not as efficient as the likes of garett and precision.

Instead of building it up slowly, why not save slowly and do it all properly, once?

Never once said I'm trying to do this cheaply and cut corners. I do intend on doing it once properly. Hence my original post. I'm not looking to bolt on cheap Chinese junk and regret it.

The only thing I have no intention of doing right away is building a block. For my first target there is no need. I'm looking to achieve somehwere in the region of 400bhp give or take, then Transmission change.

Few years down the line I may look to up the power then I will consider the appropriate options.

From a mechanical point of view, in terms of a kit (taken your going FFIM) all you really need is the exhaust manifold which differs from the GTE (with exhaust ports). So Turbo, Intercooler, Downpipe etc. will all be pretty much universal. Obviously there will be oil lines that need to be tapped and plumbed in too. As said before the best exhaust manifold I've seen for an NA is the Sound Performance F1 Manifold. Check It Out

I have gone through the above scenario's myself and weighed up the pros and cons of each option.

My personal input is take whatever budget you have worked out and double it.

I have had my N/A auto Supra for nearly 5 years now and spent a small fortune on it.

After recently turning 25 and buying my first house I decided I wanted power and reliability and budgeted 6k to do so.

I've actually spent nearly 8k and still have an N/A Supra and some nice parts and the potential to spend a further 4k to complete it.

It will however be a 1999 80k facelight auto shell with a 10k built engine running hybrids and a syvecs.

Although you want to keep your car, In your shoes i would sell up and buy Monsweens Supra and add your flair to that.

Edited by C12MMO (see edit history)