The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quad Cam Engines

Jellybean

Taking the VQ35 as an example , how does quad cam engine work?

I presume they have twice the amount of valves as a twin cam , but it is a conventional Piston Engine , I am confused at what point on the crank stroke would it merit to have an additional cam?

Or do both cams run in tandem and its just a means to get more fuel in there? I suppose Valves can only be so big

I was not expecting that , I was expecting 4 cam shafts not a camshaft with twice the lobes :)

I reckon that puts a smile on your face and a lot of something in your trousers

That's only one of the heads, there's an identical one on the other side. As the name implies, there are 4 cams in a quad cam engine. The 1UZ is a quad cam, as are most modern V engines.

One of the biggest departures is VW's VR architecture, which although is technically a narrow V engine, only has one head, and so only a pair of cams. The W architecture engines used in the Veyron and Continental GT are quad cam too. :)

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Very pretty coupe, Fiat twin cam engine, mid mounted. But a REAL rot box and I am told no panels are available any more. The wife was after a Renault Alpine GTA like I used to have years ago, but similarly there is hardly any stuff available for them any more. Glass is all but impossible, no panels, some bespoke gear ratios not available, no head gaskets. None starter, in my opinion for a daily driver, thank God she went mainstream in the end. I also managed to talk her out of a Cayman, I had visions of constantly working on the gutless lemon, or the intermediate shaft bearing going and rendering the engine effectively scrap..! How Porsche sell such @#~& I don't know.