The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet jammed and a flat battery

Branners

Just been out to whack the bonnet while somebody pulls the cable and it still wont release!!

The Halfords charger cant put enough power back in to the battery via the ciggy lighter socket so thats out.

Can anybody recommend a mobile mechanic in Herts that can come out and take a look?

And does anybody have any pictures showing the bonnet release mechanism under the bonnet so I can see what I'm aiming for if I can reach up from underneath.

Have you tried levering it (fairly gently) open whilst someone pulls the release lever? A bolster chisel, a thin strip of hardwood, a heavy gauge fish slice, covered in tape of other thin protection, used between bonnet and front bumper as a lever should free it. Dont't forget there are two clamps, LH and RH! I suspect you are not being robust enough with it! :)

If the undertray is missing, as on a lot of Supras, you can access the big terminal on the alternator to charge it. Otherwise remove the lower trim under the steering wheel and you can charge on the ignition switch lead.

Thanks Chris,

WOuld the ignition cabling be robust enough to take that sort of power? I wouldnt want to end up melting the ignition cabling on top of everything else.

My front undertray is missing so I may be able to do that, any particular place to connect the earth to when the jump start is down that way?

Just off out to give it a go.

I put my left hand over where the catch would be and smacked it pretty hard a lot of times with my right...I'm expecting bruises!!

No worries John. The ignition feed to / from the ignition switch would take at least 30 amps. You couldn't jump start via it, biut it would handle the normal fast charge rates a domestic battery charge might be capable of. Now soak the 2 latches with WD40 and operate them with a screwdriver so the close around the tip, IYSWIM? Then release agin with the interior lever. Don't shut the bonnet until they are nice and free and well oiled.

Definitely add a wooden fish slice to the tool kit list.... ;) Make sure the safety catch is free, they are no use at all if they are stiff and stay in the released position, oil it up whilst you are in there!

Me too.

Having looked at the bonnet release cable work, you cant actually get to it from underneath via the bumper or even via the engine undertray. There is a plastic cover under the area where the cables run to and the radiator is in the way too.

Make me wonder what the next step was if the spatula hadnt worked.

Me too.

Having looked at the bonnet release cable work, you cant actually get to it from underneath via the bumper or even via the engine undertray. There is a plastic cover under the area where the cables run to and the radiator is in the way too.

Make me wonder what the next step was if the spatula hadnt worked.

Grinder for the next step :p