The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full Exhaust advice. Manifold back --POST 21 UPDATE

ripped_fear

Graham I know the thread you mean but most the links are dead now. The problem with the wifbitz one is I don't like the tip. I dont like the way it tapers in inside. I know I'm being picky.

Ash that would be great mate I managed to source the wifbitz 2.5" after some hard work. So mine would be slightly quieter. Let me know mate.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the recommendation on exhaust Nic but sourcing one of those for a reasonable price would be hard I should imagine. Adding an addition silencer may be the route I take, any reason you would advice a silencer over a high flow catalytic converter.

Getting an additional silencer welded into the mid pipe of your current exhaust would probably be your cheapest option, I did this with my Blitz NUR R using a stainless steel Jetex silencer http://www.jetex.co.uk/silencer

Just noticed that Kakimoto also do a twin box exhaust specifically for the 2JZGE

http://www.nengun.com/kakimoto-racing/full-mega-n1-rev

http://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/image_t31314.html

http://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/movies/toyota/t31314_jza80-na.wvx

I have spent a lot of time playing with exhaust systems on N/A's and found that an Autobahn 3" outlet manifold, no cats, 3" mid-pipe and a 3" HKS Silent Power system, with an OE ECU, actually reduced the power.

The noise created was beyond imagination of even the most lunatic Young Petro Buck and the acoustic vibrations inside the car could probably literally shake out your fillings, after it had first sent you deaf and your neighbours insane!

For whatever reasons; N/A engines definitely sound and appear to go better/best and be "happiest" with a 2.5" exit manifold, no cats and a 2.5" exhaust system.

I have edited your option 2 to clarify.

"Option 2: OBX manifold, 2.5" custom mid-pipe with high-flow 2.5" cat-back exhaust with 2 straight-through resonator-silencers located as far back in the system as can be, exiting via a 2.5" tailpipe."

Don't be tempted to use a large-bore tailpipe, because normally/aspirated G.E. engines really don't "like" it and it makes them sound "pants".

A Whifbitz 2.5" mid-pipe and 2.5" cat-back 2-box exhaust system would get my vote.

I'm not sure of the tailpipe size on one of those, but it's simple enough to change.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Blitz Nur Spec with Bung ?

Would love one but on an NA just going to be far to loud, and a bung defeats the point, would rather just get one that works as I want straight out the box.

Getting an additional silencer welded into the mid pipe of your current exhaust would probably be your cheapest option, I did this with my Blitz NUR R using a stainless steel Jetex silencer http://www.jetex.co.uk/silencer

Just noticed that Kakimoto also do a twin box exhaust specifically for the 2JZGE

http://www.nengun.com/kakimoto-racing/full-mega-n1-rev

http://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/image_t31314.html

http://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/movies/toyota/t31314_jza80-na.wvx

Thanks another to consider, I fear another very rare part though.

I have spent a lot of time playing with exhaust systems on N/A's and found that an Autobahn 3" outlet manifold, no cats, 3" mid-pipe and a 3" HKS Silent Power system, with an OE ECU, actually reduced the power.

The noise created was beyond imagination of even the most lunatic Young Petro Buck and the acoustic vibrations inside the car could probably literally shake out your fillings, after it had first sent you deaf and your neighbours insane!

For whatever reasons; N/A engines definitely sound and appear to go better/best and be "happiest" with a 2.5" exit manifold, no cats and a 2.5" exhaust system.

I have edited your option 2 to clarify.

"Option 2: OBX manifold, 2.5" custom mid-pipe with high-flow 2.5" cat-back exhaust with 2 straight-through resonator-silencers located as far back in the system as can be, exiting via a 2.5" tailpipe."

Don't be tempted to use a large-bore tailpipe, because normally/aspirated G.E. engines really don't "like" it and it makes them sound "pants".

A Whifbitz 2.5" mid-pipe and 2.5" cat-back 2-box exhaust system would get my vote.

I'm not sure of the tailpipe size on one of those, but it's simple enough to change.

This is what i have heard while searching too hence my choice to go for a 2.5", interesting about the bore size at the tip though. Not sure what my current one is but its rather small by some standards but I personally think its about right. Would have to measure though to find out exactly. However I have no intention to go for a massive 5" back box so should be ok.

Maybe I will have to re-consider the Wifbitz exhaust then. Its certainly on the short list so far. EDIT- turns out they only do 3" upwards.

Bit of a ball ache, garage phoned up, won't fit the decat, says it must have a cat :thumbdown:

Damn! Why dont you fit it yourself matey?

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

Graham I know the thread you mean but most the links are dead now. The problem with the wifbitz one is I don't like the tip. I dont like the way it tapers in inside. I know I'm being picky.

That is picky :D

I never really looked at it tbh. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than others you will get though and personally I would be careful to what you choose, when you go full decat it can be ear splitting loud.

When I went decat I had a Kakimoto exhaust that David P posted. By the time I had driven back from Crawley to my house I had a migraine.

That is picky :D

I never really looked at it tbh. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than others you will get though and personally I would be careful to what you choose, when you go full decat it can be ear splitting loud.

When I went decat I had a Kakimoto exhaust that David P posted. By the time I had driven back from Crawley to my house I had a migraine.

:D I know. Im trying to find the thread that had alot of DB readings of a variety of different exhaust, but I cant find it.

One problem I have with the wifbitz exhaust is its only available with a 3" upwards pipework.

And I can actually get the silnet power for cheaper than the wifbitz one but unsure on the DB differences. (Also via Paul)

Did yours have a wifbitz exhausts on it? If so do you have any shots/ videos?

No mate I don't have any videos. It was subtle for town and better when hooning it.

My catback is a 2.5, I'm not sure whats going on really as their decats are now listed as three inch too :think:

They no longer stock 2.5" decats maybe they dont stock the exhaust either. No-one caters for NA's its so fustrating.

That's what I don't get though, as why change their own decats and exhaust system size by that amount? Looks like you will just have to go 3" now then.

You say that but i found a nearly knew 2.5" wifbitz de-cat. ;) If needs be I will buy second hand. Do you have any pictures of the rear of your car to show how the exhaust sat?

There really is a gap in the market for some nice NA items.

You say that but i found a nearly knew 2.5" wifbitz de-cat. ;) If needs be I will buy second hand. Do you have any pictures of the rear of your car to show how the exhaust sat?

There really is a gap in the market for some nice NA items.

I don't mate. I'm terrible for taking pictures. I have photo's from holidays 5 years ago that will never see the light of day.

Keep your eye on the for sale page, there will be one come along, 2.5"s go for less dosh than 3" too.

Ask Keron, you might get lucky?

Yeah will be looking out. Although the hks for the Na may sound like it will do the job. Low db according to the website and 2.5". Plus twin box. Would just like to hear one first.