The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2010 GTR Project (ongoing)

grahamc

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collected my car on the weekend, missed it sooooo much!

Have had a couple of minor things done, like the auto folding mirrors... but the 2 big things that were changed:-

#1 the interior trim from wrapped to dipped - looks much better IMO. Will get some photos this weekend

#2 brake cooling

Next (will done in April):-

-retrim steering wheel

-larger shift paddles (R35 Andy) once they have been dipped to match

-forge trans cooler

That is a shame. Where are your tracks in March? Wheres the rally?

Yeah, got black flagged at Silverstone sometime back 106db :) made some changes to the exhaust and its a lot quieter, but with the price of some track days, its not worth the risk. Silverstone was nice and relaxed about it, came and spoke to me and asked me to short shift in certain areas of the track. Brands Hatch is just black flag and bye-bye.

14th Castle Combe

20th Thruxton

Not sure where the Rally Day is, will have to check, but also waiting for the exact date to be confirmed.

Yeah, got black flagged at Silverstone sometime back 106db :) made some changes to the exhaust and its a lot quieter, but with the price of some track days, its not worth the risk. Silverstone was nice and relaxed about it, came and spoke to me and asked me to short shift in certain areas of the track. Brands Hatch is just black flag and bye-bye.

14th Castle Combe

20th Thruxton

Not sure where the Rally Day is, will have to check, but also waiting for the exact date to be confirmed.

Yeah I know what you mean. I would have liked to have known what mine is when I did Blyton park a few weeks back but they didn't do a Static noise test.

They said the flyby tester was at the pit exit so what ever you do don't go out and gun it straight from the pits, What did I do .... pull away and there was zero traction and bounce it off the rev limiter lol

Deffo want to do castle combe so you will have to let us know what its like.

Is this an organised rally then? I would not mind doing one that goes through the south of France/Monaco but they all just seem really expensive

Yeah I know what you mean. I would have liked to have known what mine is when I did Blyton park a few weeks back but they didn't do a Static noise test.

They said the flyby tester was at the pit exit so what ever you do don't go out and gun it straight from the pits, What did I do .... pull away and there was zero traction and bounce it off the rev limiter lol

Deffo want to do castle combe so you will have to let us know what its like.

Is this an organised rally then? I would not mind doing one that goes through the south of France/Monaco but they all just seem really expensive

Thats the worry, the zero tolerance just worries me, especially considering the price of some of these track days. Brands wanted £450 with a 92db limit.... I wouldnt even last the sighting laps! But its one of the tracks I want to drive and its the full GP circuit, so may do it in the MX5.

Combe looks like a fun track, never been there or Thruxton, so should be a few entertaining days.

The rally day is a 2 drivers 1 instructor day, more driver training than racing, but should still be good fun!

14th Castle Combe

20th Thruxton

So whats your reading now then?

106db is pretty loud most tracks have an upper limit of 105db

Castle combe are very strict on their 100db limit, if its over you are not going out at all.

Thruxton track days... well 90db... pretty much a normal road car.

Goodwood are better on noise then they used to be as now they run 98db and 105db days, even if you are over its not so bad, they run a 82LAeq per 30 mins.

This means the total sound energy over 30 mins does not exceed 82db at any point on the track.

So if you are over the 105db you will still be allowed out but when there are quieter cars on track or you will be asked to short shift on sections on where the sound level meters are.

I went on a 98db day but my car as static at 102db I was asked to lift off at 3 points on the circuit, in the afternoon a number of people went home so I no longer had to keep it down :D

Combe is a good track, quite bumpy but good. Scrutineer is an ass

Thruxton is nice, smooth and free flowing - very quick, quite a lot of the corners are blind for entry and exits which is fun.

Sounds like ace fun. Snetterton was a bit like that before they changed it all. Caught me out a few time when I did time attack there and had a few off track excursions :)

After going out with the Nums at Silverstone thats on my must do list as it was a proper circuit - so fast.

Also hoping to get back to Spa again this year.

Silverstone is an awesome track, the only negative I have about it, is that its very flat, not much in the way of up and down like Brands and Spa.

Spa is on my list, may be going out with the Classic Z club :)

So whats your reading now then?

106db is pretty loud most tracks have an upper limit of 105db

Castle combe are very strict on their 100db limit, if its over you are not going out at all.

Thruxton track days... well 90db... pretty much a normal road car.

Goodwood are better on noise then they used to be as now they run 98db and 105db days, even if you are over its not so bad, they run a 82LAeq per 30 mins.

This means the total sound energy over 30 mins does not exceed 82db at any point on the track.

So if you are over the 105db you will still be allowed out but when there are quieter cars on track or you will be asked to short shift on sections on where the sound level meters are.

I went on a 98db day but my car as static at 102db I was asked to lift off at 3 points on the circuit, in the afternoon a number of people went home so I no longer had to keep it down :D

Honestly not sure, last Silverstone track day I was well under didnt even get a funny look. Need to get it measured properly.

Will be in the MX5 for Combe and Thruxton, so not a big deal RE noise, its on a standard exhaust.

Combe is a good track, quite bumpy but good. Scrutineer is an ass

Thruxton is nice, smooth and free flowing - very quick, quite a lot of the corners are blind for entry and exits which is fun.

Awesome, the MXbarge5 is going to handle brilliantly then...... standard suspension :)

Forgot about Goodwood, will be down there at some point as well, more than likely in the GTR.

Spa is on my list, may be going out with the Classic Z club :)

Forgot about Goodwood, will be down there at some point as well, more than likely in the GTR.

If your doing Spa keep us posted on plans as there may be a few people that would be up for that. Spa is an awesome track, deffo a power track but the first time you go up Eu Rouge at speed it deffo gets the adrenaline pumping.

I keep saying ill do goodwood and the festival of speed but i just never book tickets.

If your doing Spa keep us posted on plans as there may be a few people that would be up for that. Spa is an awesome track, deffo a power track but the first time you go up Eu Rouge at speed it deffo gets the adrenaline pumping.

I keep saying ill do goodwood and the festival of speed but i just never book tickets.

Will do :)

• 2 weeks later...

Already got the next set of changes lined up

-spare engine cover and some much larger paddle shifters to be dipped and changed

-steering wheel is booked in for a retrim

-forge transmission cooler

Theres are the paddles I have, but mine are in black and will be dipped like the other parts, this shows the size difference ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Mel (missus), Steve (fellow GTR owner) and I went down to Thruxton for a track day today (also managed Castle Combe last weekend - a great, videos arent ready, Im crap at editting).... Steve took the Porsche, Mel took the MX5 and I took the GTR, GTR was purely to carry jerry cans, food, etc.

Decided to get the GTR noise tested to see what it was at and can you see where this is going ....................................

........................................ the GTR passed the 90db limit, right on the limit, but it was a pass. So back into the office and paid for another car Track was very quiet, VERY fast and was absolutely awesome!! Had a fantastic day, sun came out just before lunch and it stayed sunny all day.

GTR was immense on track, MPSS tyres seemed to struggle a little with the bumpy bits while foot flat in 4th, but still by far the fastest car there.

Porsche handled bloody well all day, again MPSS tyres seemed to struggle a little on the bumpy sections and with a bit of understeer.

MX5 is just a mental little thing..... its slow, wobbles about (still on stock suspension), but it just such great fun throwing about, foot flat through corners where others are braking Was foot flat in 4th for most of the track

Mel had a really good day as well, really got to grips with the MX5 and was throwing it about rather well. Ended up spinning once before lunch and that was it.

Steve managed 2 offs in 3 laps, running wide and onto the grass once and sideways, backwards on the grass the other time. This was in the MX5 and again foot flat in 4th gear.

Oh yes, some how I was in the car for all 3 offs......... hmmmmm, really should not be pulling on the handbrake in 4th gear corners [;)]

Couple of other MX5s, a turbo'd one and race engine one.

Unfortunately, I have very little footage (no cameras in the GTR or MX5), but Steve got some so will wait for him to upload

GTR driveby - nice and quiet ;)

Mel in the MX5 - completely ignoring the braking zone (orange cone) and going foot flat through the corner in 3rd :D

Porsche driveby